- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Safe Nuclear Factor-kappa B Inhibitor for Cachexia Management
악액질 완화를 위한 안전한 Nuclear Factor-kappa B 전사인자 제어 물질 발굴
- Park, Jeong-Soo (Department of Biochemistry, Dankook University College of Medicine)
- 박정수 (단국대학교 의과대학 생화학교실)
- Received : 2012.07.02
- Accepted : 2012.07.19
- Published : 2012.08.31
Purpose: Cachexia is a complex metabolic syndrome associated with wasting of skeletal muscle which contributes to nearly one-third of all cancer deaths. Cachexia lowers the frequency of response to chemotherapy and radiation and ultimately can impact survival as well as quality of life during treatment. NF-kappa B is one of the most important molecular mediators of cachexia. In this study, therefore, possible candidates for inhibitors of NF-kappa B were searched. Methods: Amino acids that regulate cellular redox potential by adjusting the level of NAD/NADH ratio, such as aspartate, pyruvate, and isocitrate were selected. Results: Pyruvate effectively inhibited luciferase activity in TNF-stimulated 293T cells transfect with an NF-kB dependent luciferase reporter vector. Pyruvate also showed protective effect on muscle atrophy of differentiated C2C12 myocyte induced by TNF/IFN. Conclusion: We might be able to develop the nutritional management strategy for cancer cachexia patients with pyruvate supplementation.
Supported by : 단국대학교
- Acharyya, S., Ladner, K. J., Nelsen, L. L., Damrauer, J., Reiser, P. J., Swoap, S., et al. (2004). Cancer cachexia is regulated by selective targeting of skeletal muscle gene products. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 114, 370-378. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI200420174
- Andreyev, H. J., Norman, A. R., Oates, J., & Cunningham, D. (1998). Why do patients with weight loss have a worse outcome when undergoing chemotherapy for gastrointestinal malignancies? European Journal of Cancer, 34, 503-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(97)10090-9
- Argiles, J. M., & Lopez-Soriano, F. J. (1999). The role of cytokines in cancer cachexia. Medical Research Reviews, 19, 223-248. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-1128(199905)19:3<223::AID-MED3>3.0.CO;2-N
- Barber, M. D., Ross, J. A., & Fearon, K. C. (1999). Cancer cachexia. Surgical Oncology, 8, 133-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-7404(99)00045-6
- Barron, J. T., Gu, L., & Parrillo, J. E. (1998). Malate-aspartate shuttle, cytoplasmic NA DH redox potential, and energetics in vascular smooth muscle. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, 30, 1571-1579. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmcc.1998.0722
- Beg, A. A., & Baldwin, A. S. (1993). The I kappa B proteins: multifunctional regulators of Rel/NF-kappa B transcription factors. Genes & Development, 7, 2064-2070. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.7.11.2064
- Choi, S. G. (2011). Recent advances in cancer cachexia. Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing, 11, 20-25. https://doi.org/10.5388/jkon.2011.11.1.20
- Decramer, M., Rutten-van Molken, M., Dekhuijzen, P. N., Troosters, T., van Herwa-arden, C., Pellegrino, R., et al. (2005). Effects of N-acetylcysteine on outcomes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (Bronchitis randomized on NAC cose-utility study, BRONCUS): a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Lancet, 365, 1552-1560. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)66456-2
- Evans, W. J., Morley, J. E., Argiles, J., Bales, C., Baracos, V., Guttridge, D., et al. (2008). Cachexia: A new definition. Clinical Nutrition, 27, 793-799. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2008.06.013
- Fink, M. P. (2008). Ethyl pyruvate. Current Opinion in Anesthesiology, 21, 160-167. https://doi.org/10.1097/ACO.0b013e3282f63c2e
- Ginn-Pease, M. E., & Whisler, R. L. (1998). Redox signals and NF-kappaB activation in T cells. Free Radical Biology & Medicine, 25, 346-361. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00067-7
- Gullett, N. P., Mazurak, V. C., Hebbar, G., & Ziegler, T. R. (2011). Nutritional interventions for cancer-induced cachexia. Current Problems in Cancer, 35(2), 58-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.currproblcancer.2011.01.001
- Guttridge, D. C., Mayo, M. W., Madrid, L. V., Wang, C. Y., & Baldwin, A. S. Jr. (2000). NF-kappaB -induced loss of MyoD messenger RNA: possible role in muscle decay and cachexia. Science, 289, 2363-2366. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.289.5488.2363
- Han, Y., Englert, J. A., Yang, R., Delude, R. L., & Fink, M. P. (2005). Ethyl pyruvate inhibits nuclear factor kappaB-dependent signaling by directly targeting p65. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental erapeutics, 312, 1097-1105.
- Hopkinson, J. B., Wright, D. N., McDonald, J. W., & Corner, J. L. (2006). The prevalence of concern about weight loss and change in eating habits in people with advanced cancer. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 32, 322-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2006.05.012
- Im, J. H., & Choe, M. A. (2002). Effect of exercise during acute stage of stroke on affected and unaffected hindlimb muscle mass of cerebral ischemic rat. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 4, 51-69.
- Kawamura, I., Morishita, R., Tomita, N., Lacey, E., Aketa, M., Tsujimoto, S., et al. (1999). Intratumoral injection of oligonucleotides to the NF kappa B binding site inhibits cachexia in a mouse tumor model. Gene erapy, 6, 91-97.
- Kaileh, M., & Sen, R. (2012). NF-kB function in B lymphocytes. Immunological Reviews, 246, 254-271. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-065X.2012.01106.x
- Larkin, M. (1998). Thwarting the dwindling progression of cachexia. Lancet, 351, 1336. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)79068-1
Li, L., Thomas, M., Suzuki, H., De Brabander, J. K., Wang, X., & Harran, P. G. (2004). A small molecule Smac mimic potentiates TRAIL- and TNF-
$\alpha$-mediated cell death. Science, 305, 1471-1474. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1098231
- MacDonald, N., Easson, A. M., Mazurak, V. C., Dunn, G. P., & Baracos, V. E. (2003). Understanding and managing cancer cachexia. Journal of American College of Surgeons, 197, 143-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1072-7515(03)00382-X
- Massudi, H., Grant, R., Guillemin, G. J., & Braidy, N. (2012). NAD+ metabolism and oxidative stress: the golden nucleotide on a crown of thorns. Redox Report, 17, 28-46. https://doi.org/10.1179/1351000212Y.0000000001
- O'Gorman, P., McMillan, D. C., & McArdle, C. S. (1998). Impact of weight loss, appetite, and the inflammatory response on quality of life in gastrointestinal cancer patients. Nutrition and Cancer, 32, 76-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635589809514722
- Oliff, A., Defeo-Jones, D., Boyer, M., Martinez, D., Kiefer, D., Vuocolo, G., et al. (1987). Tumors secreting human TNF/cachectin induce cachexia in mice. Cell, 50, 555-563. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(87)90028-6
- Park, Y. C., & Park, S. C. (1995). Reduction of oxidative stress by aspartate in the ethanol-perfused rat liver tissues. Korean Journal of Biochemistry, 27, 165-169.
- Park, Y. C., Oh, S. I., Park, Y. H., & Park, S. C. (1997). Modulation by aspartate of ischemia/reperfusion-induced oxidative stress in rat liver. Experimental Molecular Medicine, 29, 19-23. https://doi.org/10.1038/emm.1997.3
- Schwartz, S. A., Hernandez, A., & Mark Evers, B. (1999). The role of NF-kappaB/IkappaB proteins in cancer: implications for novel treatment strategies. Surgical Oncology, 8, 143-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-7404(00)00012-8
- Sen, C. K., & Packer, L. (1996). Antioxidant and redox regulation of gene transcription. The FASEB Journal, 10, 709-720.
- Staal, F. J., Roederer, M., Herzenberg, L. A., & Herzenberg, L. A. (1990). Intracellular thiols regulate activation of nuclear factor kB and transcription of human immunodeficiency virus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 87, 9943-9947. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.87.24.9943
- Tracey, K. J., & Cerami, A. (1994). Tumor necrosis factor: a pleiotropic cytokine and therapeutic target. Annual Review of Medicine, 45, 491-503. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.med.45.1.491
- van Eys, J. (1985). Nutrition and cancer: physiological interrelationships. Annual Review of Nutrition, 5, 435-461. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.05.070185.002251
- van Zandwijk, N., Dalesio, O., Pastorino, U., & de Vries, N. (2000). EUROSCAN, a randomized trial of Vitamin A and N-acetylcysteine in patients with head and neck cancer or lung cancer. Journal of National Cancer Institute, 92, 977-986. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.12.977
- Varma, S.D., Devamanoharan, P. S., & Ali, A. H. (1998). Prevention of intracellular oxidative stress to lens by pyruvate and its ester. Free Radical Research, 28, 131-135. https://doi.org/10.3109/10715769809065799
- Zafarullah, M., Li, W. Q., Sylvester, J., & Ahmad, M. (2003). Molecular mechanisms of N-acetylcysteine actions. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, 60, 6-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s000180300001