- Volume 61 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Design of Gas Identification System with Hierarchical Rule base using Genetic Algorithms and Rough Sets
유전 알고리즘과 러프 집합을 이용한 계층적 식별 규칙을 갖는 가스 식별 시스템의 설계
- Received : 2012.03.02
- Accepted : 2012.07.24
- Published : 2012.08.01
Recently, machine olfactory systems as an artificial substitute of the human olfactory system are being studied actively because they can scent dangerous gases and identify the type of gases in contamination areas instead of the human. In this paper, we present an effective design method for the gas identification system. Even though dimensionality reduction is the very important part, in pattern analysis, We handled effectively the dimensionality reduction by grouping the sensors of which the measured patterns are similar each other, where genetic algorithms were used for combination optimization. To identify the gas type, we constructed the hierarchical rule base with two frames by using rough set theory. The first frame is to accept measurement characteristics of each sensor and the other one is to reflect the identification patterns of each group. Thus, the proposed methods was able to accomplish effectively dimensionality reduction as well as accurate gas identification. In simulation, we demonstrated the effectiveness of the proposed methods by identifying five types of gases.
- T. D. Ginson, O. Prosser, J. N. Hulbert, R. W. Marshall, P. Corcoran, P. Lowery, E. A. Ruck-Keene, S. Heron, "Detection and simultaneous identification of microorganisms from headspace samples using an electronic nose", Sensors and Actuators B, Vol.44, pp.413-422, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-4005(97)00235-9
- J. W. Gardner, M. Craven, C. Dow, E. L. Hines, "The prediction of bacteria type and culture growth phase by an electronic nose with a multi-layer perceptron network", Meas. Sci. Technol, Vol.9, pp.120-127, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/9/1/016
- R. Gutierrez-Osuna, "Pattern Analysis for Machine Olfaction: A Review", IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol.2, No.3, pp.189-202, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2002.800688
- F. Marcelloni, "Recognition of olfactory signals based on supervised fuzzy C-means and k-NN algorithms", Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol.22, pp.1007-1019, 2001.
- E. L. Hines, E. Llobet, J. W. Gardner, "Electronic noses: a review of signal processing techniques", Meas. Sci. Technol, Vol. 9, pp. 120-127, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/9/1/016
- A. Hierlemann, R. Gutierrez-Osuna, "Higher-Order Chemical Sensing", Chem. Rev, Vol.108, pp.563-613, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1021/cr068116m
- D. Vlachos, J. Avaritsiotis, "Fuzzy neural networks for gas sensing", Sensors and Actuators B, Vol.3, pp.77-82, 1996 Meas. Sci. Technol, Vol. 9, pp. 120-127, 1998.
- N. Y. Kim, H. G. Byun, K. C. Persaud, "Normalization approach to the stochastic gradient radial basis function network algorithm for odor sensing systems", Sensors and Actuators B, Vol. 124, pp. 407-412, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2007.01.001
- E. Llobet, E. L. Hines, J. W. Gardner, P. N. Bartlett, T. T. Mottram, "Fuzzy ARTMAP based electronic nose data analysis", Sensors and Actuators B, Vol. 61, pp. 183-190, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-4005(99)00288-9
- D. E. Goldberg, "Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning", Addison-Wesley Publishing Co. Inc., N. Y., 1989.
- K. F. Man, "Genetic Algorithms: Concepts and Applications", IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 519-534, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.538609
- D. T. Pham, G. Jin, "Genetic Algorithm using Gradient-Reproduction Operator", Electronics Letters, vol. 31, no. 18, pp. 1558-1559, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19951092
- D. T. Pham, G. Jin, "A Hybrid Genetic Algorithm", Proc. 3rd World Congress on Expert Systems, Seoul, Korea, vol. 2, pp. 748-757, 1996.
- Z. Pawlak, "Rough set theory and its applications", J. Telecommum. Inform. Technoli, vol. 3, pp. 7-10, 2002
- Y. K. Bang, C. H. Lee, "Multiple Model Fuzzy Prediction Systems with Adaptive Model Selection Based on Rough Sets and its Application to Time Series Forecasting", Journal of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, vol. 19, pp. 25-33, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2009.19.1.025
- Y. K. Bang, C. H. Lee, "Design of Fuzzy Prediction System based on Dual Tuning using Enhanced Genetic Algorithms", Trans. KIEE.,, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 184-191, 2010.