- Volume 22 Issue 2
Study on Biochemical Parameters and Body Fat Mass according to Leptin Receptor Polymorphism in University Students
렙틴 수용체 유전자 다형성에 따른 대학생의 생화학 지표와 체지방 분포에 관한 연구
- Kim, Kyung-Hee (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Mokpo National University) ;
- Cho, Hee-Sook (Dept. of Culinary Art, Chodang University)
- Received : 2011.09.22
- Accepted : 2011.12.12
- Published : 2012.04.30
The purpose of this study was to investigate the body composition, biochemical parameters, and consumption of convenience foods according to leptin receptor polymorphism in university students. A survey was conducted on a total of 418 students - 271 males and 147 females. Based on a self-reporting method, questionnaires were administered for over 20 minutes, and leptin receptor and blood samples were analyzed. The genotype frequencies of leptin receptor polymorphism were Gln/Arg heterozygote (64.8%) and Gln/Gln homozygote (35.2%). Leptin polymormphism showed no significant association with biochemical parameters(ALT, cholesterol, triglyceride, HDL-cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, and hemoglobin) and body composition. GG homozygote was associated with a higher risk of visceral fat obesity compared to those with GA heterozygote (odd ratio 1.758, 95% confidence intervals 0.812~3.803). Leptin polymorphism appeared to be a genetic risk factor for visceral fat obesity. This study suggests that leptin polymorphism has a causative role to body fat distribution in Korean.
- Chagnon YC, Wilmore JH, Borecki IB, Gagnon J, Perusse L, Chagnon M, Collier GR, Leon S, Skinner JS, Rao DC, Bouchard C (2000) Association between the leptin receptor gene and adiposity in middle-aged Caucasian males from the HERITAGE family study. J Clin Endocr Metab 85: 29-34. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.85.1.29
- Clement K, Vaisse C, Lahlou N (1998) A mutation in the human leptin receptor gene causes obesity and pituitary dysfunction. Nature 392: 398-401. https://doi.org/10.1038/32911
- Dandona P, Andona A, Bandyopadhyay A (2004) Inflammation: the link between insulin resistance, obesity and diabetes. Trends Immunol 25: 4-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.it.2003.10.013
- Dawber TR, Meadors GF, Moore FEJ (1951) Epidemiological approaches to heart disease: The framingham study. Am J Public Helath 41: 279-286. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.41.3.279
- Fasshauer M, Paschke R (2003) Regualtion of adipocytokines and insulin resistance. Diabetologia 46: 1594-1603. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-003-1228-z
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS (1972) Estimation of the concentration of low-lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18: 499-502.
- Galic S, Oakhill JS, Steinberg GR (2010) Adipose tissue as an endocrine organ. Mol Cell Endocrinol 316: 129-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2009.08.018
- Gordon T, Castelli WP, Hjorland MC, Kannel WB, Dawber TR (1977) High density lipoprotein as a protective factor against coronary heart disease. The Framingham Study. Am J Med 62: 707-714. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(77)90874-9
- Horn LV (2000) Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease starts in childhood. J Am Diet Assoc 100: 41-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(00)00017-1
- Kim JY, Shin HW, Jeong IK, Cho SW, Min SJ, Lee SJ, Park CY, Oh KW, Kim HK, Kim DM, Yu KM, Ihm SH, Choi MG, Yoo HJ, Park SW (2005) The relationship of adiponectin, leptin and ghrelin to insulin resistance and cardiovascular risk factors in human obestiy. Korean J Med 69: 631-641.
- Kim KJ, Lee WJ, Lee SJ, Ahn NY, Oh HR, Shin YJ, Park JS, Hong CB, Kim SH, Kim EM, Lee JE, Kim EJ, Jang JS (2005) Health status and lifestyle including diet, exercise and daily activities in obese adults. J Kor Sports Med 23: 54-63.
- Kim MS (2005) A study for eating out behavior of the university students. Korean J Food Culture 20: 548-553.
- Minocci A, Savia G, Lucantoni R, Berselli ME, Tagliaferri M, Calo G, Petroni ML, de Medici C, Vlberti GC, Liuzzi A (2000) Leptin plasma concentrations are dependent on body fat distribution in obese patients. Int J Obes Relat Metab Dosord 24: 1139-1144. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801385
- Nam KH, Shin MS, Yoo JH, Bae JJ, Lee SH, Kim SS, Hong YS, Byun JJ, Park HK (2003) The effect of exercise program during 16 weeks on leptin, HbAlc, BMI and body composition in middle aged men with obesity and NIDDM. J Sport Leisure Studies 20: 1115-1126.
- Regina LT, Alice JT (2005) Health-promoting behaviors and psychosocial well-being of university students in Hong-Kong. Public Health Nurs 22: 209-220. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0737-1209.2005.220304.x
- Son SJ, Lee HJ, Choi BS, Park MH, Lee EJ, Seo JY (2002) Relationship among body composition, biochemical measurements and serum leptin level in obese children. Kor J Nutr 35: 454-463.
- Suh YS, Kim DH, Lee IK (2001) Association between the Gln223Arg Polymorphism in the leptin receptor gene and fat distribution in Koreans. Korean Soc for the Study of Obesity 10: 182-189.
- Wauters M, Mertens I, Cahgnon M, Rankinen T, Considine RV, Chagnon YC, Van Gaal LF, Bouchard C (2001) Polymorphism in the leptin receptor gene, body composition and fat distribution in overweight and obese women. Int J Obes Relat Disord 25: 714-720. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801609
- Yoon JY, Kim KK, Hwang IC, Lee KS, Suh HS (2011) Association between body mass index, abdominal obesity defined by waist circumference criteria, and estimated glomerular filtration rate in healthy Korean adults: 2007 the Korea National Health and Nutrition Survey. Korea Society for the Study of Obesity 20: 202-209 https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2011.20.4.202