- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The association between oral health behavior intention and self-efficacy of dental hygiene students
일부 치위생과 학생들의 자기효능감과 구강보건행동 실천의지의 연관성
- Choi, Eun-Jung (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Kyungbok University) ;
- Song, Yun-Sin (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Kyungbok University)
- Received : 2012.03.26
- Accepted : 2012.06.22
- Published : 2012.06.30
Objectives : The purpose of this study is to provide basic data to develop health education program, by analyzing the relationship between the oral health behavior intention and self-efficacy in dental hygiene students. Methods : This research was based on self administrated survey conducted by 348 dental hygiene students. The survey was composed of five items of general characteristics, ten items of factor in self-efficacy and seven items of factor in oral health behavior intention. Results : According to general characteristics, students with high grades had higher oral health behavior intention(p<0.05) and students answered that the significance of oral health is very important had higher oral health behavior intention(p<0.05). The level of self-efficacy was separated by high-level(30%), medium-level(40%), and low-level (30%), and the higher self-efficacy was, the higher oral health behavior intention was. Conclusions : By improving dental hygiene student's self-efficacy, it was necessary to promote oral health behavior intention.
- Yoon HS, Kim YS. Relationship between oral health knowledge and behavior. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006;12(3):69-77.
- Kong MS, Lee HS, Kim SN. Children's dental health behavior in relation to their mothers' dental health knowledge level, attitude toward dentist and dental health behaviors. J Korean acad dent health 1994;18(1):84-94.
- Pender NJ. Expressing health through lifestyle pattern. Nurs Sci Q 1996;3(3):115-122.
- Bandura A, Adams NS. Analysis of self-efficacy theory of behavior change. Cognitive Therapy and Research 1977;1(4):287-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01663995
- Ajzen I. The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behaviour and Human Decision Processes 1991;50:179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Park GJ, Park CH, Kim MO. Belief, knowledge, and practice about oral health care of middleaged women. Korean J Women Health Nur 2009;15(2):130-139. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.2.130
- Jang KA, Hwang IC. The relationship between oral health knowledge and Its education recognizance of childcare teacher. The Korea Contents Society 2009;19(2):735-741.
- Cho YS, Hwang YJ, Bae HS, Kim SY. Effect of oral health education practice and self-efficacy of teacher on oral health attitude. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(1):99-108.
- Choi AS. Relationships among advanced learning, academic self-concept, and self-efficacy of elementary school children. CNU Journal of Educational Studies 2005;26(2):221-240.
- Lim MH, Ku IY, Choi HS. A study on the relationship of self-efficacy to stressors and stress adaptation in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hygiene 2011;11(5):811-822.
- Jang YJ, Jung JA, Jeon ES. Relation factors of oral health behavior of junior college in Jeollanamdo. J Korean Acad Dental Hygiene Education 2006;6(4):387-402.
- Lee HY. Study on relation factors of oral health behaviors based on health promotion model [Master's Thesis]. Seoul: Graduate School of Yonsei University;2000.
- Jang JY. The correlation study on oral health behavior toward oral health belief. The J of the Korean academy of Dental Hygiene 2007;9(1):133-148.
- Yoon JA, Yoon YS. Comparing with self-efficacy and knowledge, attitudes about radiation safety management of dental hygienists and students at department of dental hygiene. J Korean Soc Dent Hygiene 2011;11(5):729-739.
- Lee MY, Shin KH. Dental hygiene behaviors depending on the dental hygiene perception of selected high school students in the Kyunggi province. The J of the Korean academy of Dental Hygiene 2007;9(1):101-111.
- Lang NP, Cumming BR, Loe HA. Oral hygiene and gingival health in Danish dental students and faculty. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1977;5(5):237-242. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1977.tb01647.x
- Kwon SJ. A study on the correlation between health behaviours of adolescents and social factors. J Korean Soc School health 1996;9(1):69-75.
- Influences of oral health behaviors according to oral health education experiences in middle school students vol.13, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.639
- Relationship between self-efficacy and learning attitude according to smoking experience in the middle school students vol.15, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.805
- Correlation between critical thinking disposition and self-efficacy in dental hygiene students vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.401