- Volume 18 Issue 1
Creation of Intellectual Capital in Hospital Organizations and Factors Influencing Creation of Intellectual Capital
임상간호사가 지각한 병원조직의 새로운 지적자본 창출 능력 영향요인
- Jang, Keum-Seong (College of Nursing, Chonnam National University.Chonnam Research Institute of Nursing Science) ;
- Kim, Eun-A (Department of Nursing, Nambu University) ;
- Kim, Min-Soo (Department of Statistics, Chonnam National University) ;
- Sim, Jae-Yeun (Department of Nursing, Chonnam National University Hospital) ;
- Park, Hyun-Young (Operation Room, Chonnam National University Hospital)
- 장금성 (전남대학교 간호대학, 전남대학교 간호과학 연구소) ;
- 김은아 (남부대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김민수 (전남대학교 자연과학대학) ;
- 심재연 (전남대학교병원 간호부 외래간호과, 전남대학교 간호대학) ;
- 박현영 (전남대학교병원 간호부 수술실, 전남대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2012.02.13
- Accepted : 2012.02.27
- Published : 2012.03.31
Purpose: This study was designed to identify creation of intellectual capital and factors influencing the creation of intellectual capital in hospital organizations. Methods: A cross-sectional design was used, with a convenience sample of 300 nurses from three general hospitals in Gwangju and South Cholla province. The tools used for this study were scales measuring creation of intellectual capital (8 items), social capital (20 items), knowledge management (8 items). Data was analyzed with descriptive statistics, Pearson's correlation coefficient and regression using the SPSS WIN 18.0 program. Results: There were significantly positive relationships between social capital and knowledge management with creation of intellectual capital. The mean score for creation of intellectual capital in hospital organizations was 4.59 points. Factors influencing creation of intellectual capital in hospital organization were identified as knowledge management (
- Anand, V., Glick, W. H., & Manz, C. C. (2002). Thriving on the knowledge of outsiders: Tapping organizational social capital. Academy of Management Executive, 16(1), 87-101.
- Chang, Y. S., & Kim, J. G. (2006). A study on the impact of social capital perception on knowledge activities by financial institutions. The Korean Journal of Human Resource Managemant, 30(1), 59-91.
- Choi, B. H. (2009). The study of the influences of social capital and structural factors on innovative performance in industrial clusters. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University of Technology Korea, Seoul.
- Coleman, J. S. (1988). Social capital in the creation of human capital. American Journal of Sociology, 94, 95-120.
- Covell, C. L. (2008). The middle-range theory of nursing intellectual capital. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 63(1), 94-103.
- Davidson, D. (2007). Strength in nursing leadership: the key to the evolution of intellectual capital in nursing. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 31, 36-42.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A. G., & Buchner, A. (2007). G*power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39, 175-191.
- Gooijer, F. D. (2000). Designing a knowledge management performance framework. Journal of Knowledge Management, 4(4), 303-310.
- Hoffman, J. J., Hoelscehr, M. L., & Sherif, K. (2005). Social capital, knowledge management, and sustained superior performance. Journal of Knowledge Management, 9(3), 93-100.
- Inkpen, A. C., & Tsan, E. W. K. (2005). Social capital, networks, and knowledge transfer. Academy of Management Review, 30, 146-165.
- Jang, K. S., Kim, E. A., & Oh, S. H. (2011). The effect of social capital on organizational performance in hospital organization - Focusing the effect of intellectual capital. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 17, 22-32.
- Kim, E. A. (2010). The effect of intellectual capital on the organizational performance in hospital nursing organization. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chonnam University Korea, Gwangju.
- Kim, J. J., & Seol, H. D. (2008). A study on the relationship between knowledge management strategy and performance by the contingency factors. Journal of Knowledge Studies, 6(1), 213-245.
- Lee, Y. C. (2007). Social capital, knowledge management, and organizational performance. Journal of information systems, 16(4), 223-241.
- Lee, Y. H., & Ryu, H. G. (2008). The impact of intra firm social capital on knowledge activities. Journal of Vocational Education & Training, 11(1), 119-141.
- McFadyen, M. A., & Cannella, A. A. (2004). Social capital and knowledge creation: Diminishing returns to the number and strength of exchange relationships. Academy Management Journal, 47, 735-746.
- McFadyen, M. A., Semadeni, M., & Cannella, A. A. (2009). Value of strong ties to disconnected others: examining knowledge creation in biomedicine. Organization Science archive, 20, 552-564.
- Min, J. H. (2001). An exploratory study on knowledge management practices of Korean organizations. Sogang Journal of Business, 12(2), 55-87.
- Min, J. H., & Lee, Y. C. (2002). Difference in knowledge management performance by knowledge management practices. Sogang Journal of Business, 13(2), 113-135.
- Nahapiet, J., & Ghoshal, S. (1998). Social capital, intellectual capital, and the organizational advantage. Academy of Management Review, 23, 242-266.
- Nonaka, I., & Takeuchi, H. (1995). The Knowledge-Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Oh, H., Chung, M., & Labianca, G. (2004). Group social capital and group effectiveness: The role of informal socializing ties. Academy of Management Journal, 47, 860-875.
- Park, H. B., Kang, J. S., & Kim, S. M. (2003). The creation of social capital and intellectual capital, and their effects on organizational performance management. Korea Public Administration Journal, 12(1), 3-36.
- Park, R. Y. (2004). Determinants of the knowledge combinative capability based on social capital theory. Knowledge Management Research, 5(2), 67-98.
- Park, S. M. (2001). Influence of organizational social capital on the creation of new intellectual capital. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chonnam University Korea, Gwangju.
- Putnam, R. D. (1993). The prosperous community: social capital and public life. American Prospect, 13(4), 35-42.
- Quinn, J. B., Anderson, P., & Finkelstein, S. (1996). Leveraging intellect. Academy of Management Executive, 10(3), 7-27.
- Tsai, W., & Ghoshal, S., (1998). Social capital and value creation: The role of intra firm networks. Academy of Management Journal, 41, 464-476.
- Turban, E., Rainer, R., & Potter, R., (2003). Introduction to information technology(2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Weston, M. J., Estrada, N. A,, & Carrington, J. (2007). Reaping benefits from intellectual capital. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 31, 6-12.