- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A study on the influence of air traffic controller's leadership characteristics and hazardous attitudes on the team effectiveness
항공교통관제사의 리더십 특성과 위험태도 요인이 팀 유효성에 미치는 영향
- Jang, Jung-Ha (Dept. of Air Transport, Transportation and Logistics, Korea Aerospace University) ;
- Sin, Hyon-Sam (School of Air Transport, Transportation and Logistics and Air & space Law, Korea Aerospace University)
- Received : 2012.10.20
- Accepted : 2012.12.14
- Published : 2012.12.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of air traffic controller's leadership characteristics and hazardous attitudes on the team effectiveness. The effectiveness make use of team efficacy and team commitment. Leadership characteristics and hazardous attitudes make use of the contents of a CRM manual. The study showed following results. 1) Leadership characteristics has a positive influence on the team effectiveness. 2) Hazardous attitudes has a partially bad influence on the team effectiveness. This study was conducted under the auspice of civil and military ATC facilies and by participation of devoting ATC controller's.
- Kim, Mi-Suk, Jeon, Mi-Ran(2005), "The fundamental study and program development of leadership upbringing of the gifted", Korea Educational Development Institute.
- Kim, Sung-Eun(2009), "The study on the relationships between leader's emotional intelligence, organizational justice, trust and organizational effectiveness: focused on examining affect-and cognition-based trust", Doctoral Dissertation of Korea University
- Kim, Young-Shi, Lim, Sung Moon(2008), "The relation between pilot`s self-construal and pilot`s hazardous flight attitude in Korea: The mediating effect of self-inhibiting defense style and the moderating effect of self-esteem", The Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 21(4): 657-676.
- Na, Sang-Oh(2011), "The Effect of Perceptional Discrepancy in Transactional leadership upon the Organizational Effectiveness", Doctoral Dissertation of Dankook University.
- Park, Soon-Eung(2003), "An Empirical Study on Team Effectivess:The Roles of Task Satisfacation, Leader Vision, and Organizational Support", MBA Dissertation of Ajou University.
- Baek, Ki-Bok(2008), "Organizational behavior", Chang Min Sa Press.
- Seo, Jai-Hyun(2002), "The effects of individual tendency and organizational experience on the development of career commitment, team commitment, and organizational commitment", The study of organization and management, 26(2): 61-87.
- Seo, Jai-Hyun(2007), "Organizational behavior", Seoul, Han Gyeung Sa.
- Sin, Hyon-Sam(2003), "A comparative study on the Air Traffic Controller's performance and cognitive imbalance", Korea aeronautics and space law Institute, 18: 107.
- Ahn, Sung-Ho, Kim, Il-Suk(2010), "Understanding of modern leadership", Sin Kawng culture press.
- Lee, Jong-Sun(2010), "Effects of team transformational leadership on the team performance : the mediate role of team-work processes", Doctoral Dissertation of Gyeongsang National University.
- Allen, N. J. & Meyer, J. P.(1990), "The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organization.", Journal of Occupational Psychology, 63: 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x
- Bandura, A.(1982), "Self-efficacy mechanism in human agency.", American Psychologist, 37: 122-147. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.37.2.122
- Bandura, A.(1989), " Human agency in social cognitive theory.", American Psychologist, 44: 1175-1184. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.44.9.1175
- Bass, B. M.(1990), "Bass and Stogdill's handbook of leadership: a survey of theory and research", New York, Harper & Row.
- Bishop, J. W., K. D., & Burroughs, S. M.(2000), "Support, commitment and employee outcomes in a team environment.", Journal of Management, 26: 1113-1132. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920630002600603
- Campion, M. A., Medsker, G. J. & Higgs, A. C.(1993), "Relations between work group characteristics and effectiveness : Implications for designing effective work groups", Personal Psychology, 46: 823-850 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1993.tb01571.x
- Chieh-Wen Sheng, Yi-Fang Tian & Ming-Chia Chen (2010), "Relationships among teamwork behavior, trust, perceived team support, and team commitment", Social Behavior Personality, 38: 1297-1306 https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2010.38.10.1297
- Christina, M. Scott-Young & Danny, Samson(2006), "Modeling team efficacy in project management: an exploratory study", Academy of Management Best Conference Paper, OM: D1-D6.
- Cohen & Bailey(1997), "What makes teams work: group effectiveness research from the shop floor to the executive suite", Journal of Management, 3: 239-290
- Cohen. S. G. & Ledford, G. E. Jr., & Spreitzer, G. M.(1996), "A predictive model of self managing work team effectiveness.", Human Relations, 49: 643-676. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679604900506
- Dr. K. W. Kallus, Dr. M. Barbarino, Ms D. Van Damme(1997), "Model of the Cognitive Aspects of Air Traffic Control", Eurocontrol, 29-33
- Eurocontrol(2002), "Investigating Air Traffic Controller Conflict Resolution Strategy", CORA 2 Doc, 1:55.
- Guzzo, R. A., Yost, P. R., Campbell, R. J. & Shea, G. P.(1993), "Potency in groups: Articulating a construct", British Journal of Social Psychology, 32: 87-106. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8309.1993.tb00987.x
- Guzzo, R. A.(1996), "Group decision making and group effectiveness.", Designing Effective Work Group, 34-71.
- Hackman, J. R.(1990), "Groups that work: and those that don't", San francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- John P. Meyer & Natalie J. Allen(1991), "A three-component conceptualization of organizational commitment", Human Resource Management Review, 1: 61-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- Kirkman, G. L. & Rosen, B.(1999), "Beyond self -management: Antecedents and consequences of team empowerment:, Academy of Management Journal, 42: 58-74. https://doi.org/10.2307/256874
- Mathieu, J. E. & Zajac, D.(1990), "A review and meta -analysis of the antecedents, correlates, and consequences of organizational commitment.", Psychological Bulletin, 108: 171-194. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.108.2.171
- Meyer, J. P., & Allen, N. J., "Testing the Side-bet Theory of Organizational Commitment: Some Methodological Considerations.", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol 69, pp.372-378, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.3.372
- Mowday, R. T., Steers, R., & Porter, L. W.(1979), "The measurement of organizational commitment.", Journal of Vocational Behavior, 14: 224-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(79)90072-1
- Mowday, R. T., Porter, L. W., & Steers, R.(1982), "Organizational linkage: The psychology of commitment, absenteeism, and turnover.", Academic press.
- Nadler D.A. & Tushman M.L.(1999), "The Organization of the Future: Strategic Imperatives and Core Competencies for the 21st Century", Organizational Dynamics, 28: 45-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-2616(00)80006-6
- Plowman, P. D.(1981), "Training extra ordinary leaders.", Roeper Review, 3: 13-16.
- Shamir, B.(1990), "Calculations, Values, and Identities: The Sources of Collectivistic Work Motivation", Human Relations, Vol 43, pp.313-332 https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679004300402
- Smith-Jentsch, K. A., Baker, D. P., Salas, E. & Cannon-Bowers, J. A.(2001), "Uncovering differences in team competency requirements: The case of Air Traffic Control teams.", In E. Salas, C. A. Bowers,&E. Edens, Improving teamwork in organizations: Applications of resource management training, 31-54.
- Stogdill, R. M.(1974), "Handbook of leadership:a survey of the literature.", New York: Free Press.
- US Air Force(1998), "Crew resource management basic concepts", Air Force Flight Standards Agency, AT-M-06A: 1-56.
- Yoon, J.(2006), "Mechanisms constructing legitimacy of team supervisors and their effects on team efficacy and team commitments", Conference Papers, American Sociological Association, Annual Meeting, Montreal, 5: 1-43.