- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Isolation and Characterization of Novel Alginate-Degrading Pseudoalteromonas sp. Y-4
- Cho, Hyeon-Ah (Department of Food Science and Technology, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Woo (Department of Marine Biology, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Young-Mog (Department of Food Science and Technology, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2012.06.22
- Accepted : 2012.08.05
- Published : 2012.09.30
To isolate an alginate-degrading bacterium, we conducted a single colony isolation using a solid medium containing alginate as the sole carbon source. A marine bacterium Y-4 capable of degrading alginate was isolated from seawater. The strain was identified to be Pseudoalteromonas sp., based on morphological, biochemical, 16S rDNA homology, and phylogenetic analyses. Moreover, Pseudoalteromonas sp. Y-4 exhibited alginate lyase activity in the presence of 4% alginate even though many known alginate-degrading bacteria degrade in the range of 0.5-1% alginate. The optimum culture conditions for the Y-4 strain were 2% alginate, pH 8.0, and 3% NaCl at
- Choi JH, Rhim CH, Kim JY, Yang JS, Choi JS and Byun DS. 1986. Basic studies in the development of diet for the treatment of obesity. 1. The inhibitory effect of alginic acid as a dietary fiber on obesity. Bull Korean Fish Soc 19, 303-311.
- Duan G, Han F and Yu W. 2009. Cloning, sequence analysis, and expression of gene alyPI encoding an alginate lyase from marine bacterium Pseudoalteromonas sp. CY24. Can J Microbiol 55, 1113- 1118. https://doi.org/10.1139/W09-051
- Guven KC, Ozsoy Y and Ulutin ON. 1991. Anticoagulant, fibrinolytic and antiaggregant activity of carrageenans and alginic acid. Bot Mar 34, 429-432.
- Haug A, Larsen B and Smidsrod O. 1966. A study of constitution of alginic acid by partial acid hydrolysis. Acta Chem Scand 20, 183- 190. https://doi.org/10.3891/acta.chem.scand.20-0183
- Haug A, Larsen B and Smidsrod O. 1967. Studies on the sequence of uronic acid residues in alginic acid. Acta Chem Scand 21, 691-704. https://doi.org/10.3891/acta.chem.scand.21-0691
- Ikeda A, Takemura A and Ono H. 2000. Preparation of low-molecular weight alginic acid by acid hydrolysis. Carbohydr Polymer 42, 421-425. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0144-8617(99)00183-6
- Joo DS, Choi YS and Cho SY. 2003. Preparation of the depolymerized alginates by physical treatment processing with organic acids. J Korean Fish Soc 36, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2003.36.1.001
- Kim OJ, Lee DG, Lee SM, Lee SJ, Do HJ, Park HJ, Kim A, Lee JH and Ha JM. 2010. Isolation and Characteristics of Alginate-Degrading Methylobacterium sp. HJM27. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 38, 144-150.
- Larsen B, Salem DMSA, Sallam MAE, Mishrikey MM and Beltagy AI. 2003. Characterization of the alginates from algae harvested at the Egyptian Red Sea coast. Carbohydr Res 338, 2325-2336. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6215(03)00378-1
- Lee HW, Kil HY, Han TH, Park H, Shin SI, Yang HJ, Kim MK and Kim DW. 2001. Comparison of poloxamer-407 to soybean oil as an emulsifying agent for propofol: Histamine release and plasma lipid level. Korean J Anesthesiol 40, 515-521. https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2001.40.4.515
- Li J, Yu W, Han F, Han W and Song K. 2003. Purification and characterization of a novel alginate lyase from marine Vibrio sp. QY102. Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 43, 753-757.
- Li JW, Dong S, Song J, Li CB, Chen XL, Xie BB and Zhang YZ. 2011a. Purification and characterization of a bifunctional alginate lyase from Pseudoalteromonas sp. SM0524. Mar Drugs 9, 109-123. https://doi.org/10.3390/md9010109
- Li L, Jiang X, Guan H, Wang P and Guo H. 2011b. Three alginate lyases from marine bacterium Pseudomonas fluorescens HZJ216: purification and characterization. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 164, 305-317. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-010-9136-4
- Mao W, Li B, Gu Q, Fang Y and Xing H. 2004. Preliminary studies on the chemical characterization and antihyperlipidemic activity of polysaccharide from the brown alga Sargassum fusiforme. Hydrobiologia 512, 263-266. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:HYDR.0000020335.46431.ad
- McCleary BV, Dea ICM and Clark AH. 1983. The fine structure of carob and guar galactomannans. In: Gums and Stabilisers for the Food Industry: Applications of Hydrocolloids. Philips GO, Wedlock DJ and Williams PA, eds. Pergamon Press, Oxford, GB, pp. 33-44.
- McNeely WH and Pettitt DJH. 1973. Algin. In: Polysaccharides and Their Derivatives. 2nd ed.Whistler RL and BeMiller JN, eds. Academic Press, New York, US, pp. 49-81.
- Minoru S, Takashi O, Takao H, Toshiyasu Y, Toshiki N, Tadao S, Koji M, Takashi K, Katsura F, Akio K and Takahisa N. 2005. Production of the blood pressure lowing peptides from brown alga (Undaria pinnatifida). J Ocean Uni China 4, 209-213. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11802-005-0034-2
- Nelson N. 1944. A photometric adaptation of the Somogyi method for the determination of glucose. J Biol Chem 153, 375-380.
- Sherbrock-Cox V, Russell NJ and Gacesa P. 1984 The purification and chemical characterisation of the alginate present in the extracellular material produced by mucoid strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Carbohydr Res 135, 147-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-6215(84)85012-0
- Somogyi M. 1952. Notes on sugar determination. J Biol Chem 195, 19- 23.
- Taga N. 1968. Some ecological aspects of marine bacteria in the Kuroshio Current. Bull Misaki Mar Biol Kyoto Univ 12, 65-76.
- Yu DU, Kim DM, Chung YH, Lee YB and Kim YM. 2012. Isolation and characterization of nonylphenol-degrading bacteria. Fish Aquat Sci 15, 91-97.