- Volume 44 Issue 8
Recent progress in the computational fluid dynamics methods of two- and multiphase phase flows has already started opening up new exciting possibilities for using complete multidimensional models to simulate boiling systems. Combining this new theoretical and computational approach with novel experimental methods should dramatically improve both our understanding of the physics of boiling and the predictive capabilities of models at various scale levels. However, for the multidimensional modeling framework to become an effective predictive tool, it must be complemented with accurate mechanistic closure laws of local boiling mechanisms. Boiling heat transfer has been studied quite extensively before. However, it turns out that the prevailing approach to the analysis of experimental data for both pool boiling and forced-convection boiling has been associated with formulating correlations which normally included several adjustable coefficients rather than based on first principle models of the underlying physical phenomena. One reason for this has been the tendency (driven by practical applications and industrial needs) to formulate single expressions which encompass a broad range of conditions and fluids. This, in turn, makes it difficult to identify various specific factors which can be independently modeled for different situations. The objective of this paper is to present a mechanistic modeling concept for both pool boiling and forced-convection boiling. The proposed approach is based on theoretical first-principle concepts, and uses a minimal number of coefficients which require calibration against experimental data. The proposed models have been validated against experimental data for water and parametrically tested. Model predictions are shown for a broad range of conditions.
- Addoms, J. N., 1948, Heat Transfer at High Rates to Water Boiling Outside Cylinders, ScD Thesis, Chemical Engineering Department, M.I.T.
- Alajbegovic, A., Kurul, N., Podowski, M.Z., Drew, D. and Lahey, R.T., Jr., 1997, "A New Mechanistic Model of Critical Heat Flux in Forced-Convection Subcooled Boiling", Proc. of the Eight International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics (NURETH-8), Kyoto, Japan.
- Anglart, H., Nylund, O., Kurul. N. and Podowski, M.Z., 1997, CFD Simulation of Flow and Phase Distribution in Fuel Assemblies with Spacers, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 177, pp.215-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(97)00195-7
- Bartolomei, G.G. and Chanturia, V.M., 1967, "Experimental Study of True Void Fraction when Boiling Subcooled Water in Vertical Tubes", Thermal Engineering, Vol. 14, pp.123-128.
- Bergles, A.E., 1992, "Elements of Boiling Heat Transfer", in Boiling Heat Transfer; Modern Developments and Advances (R.T., Lahey - editor), Elsevier.
- Forster, H. K. and Zuber, N., 1955, Dynamics of Vapor Bubbles and Boiling Heat Transfer, AIChE Journal, Vol. 1, p. 531. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690010425
- Jens, W.H. and Lottes, P.A., 1962, "Analysis of Heat Transfer, Burnout, Pressure Drop and Density Data for High Pressure Water", ANL-4627.
- Jensen, M.K. and Memmel, J.G.J., 1986, Evaluation of Bubble Departure Diameter Correlations, Proc. Eighth Int. Heat Transfer Conf., 4, pp.1907-1912.
- Kurul, N. and Podowski, M.Z., 1990, Multidimensional Effects in Forced Convection Subcooled Boiling, Proc. of the 9th International Heat Transfer Conference, Jerusalem, Is-rael.
- Kurul, N. and Podowski, M.Z., 1991, On the Modeling of Multidimensional Effects in Boiling Channels, Proc. of the 27th National Heat Transfer Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- Mikic, B.B. and Rohsenow, W.M., 1969, A New Correlation of Pool-Boiling Data Including the Effect of Heating Surface Characteristics, J. Heat Transfer, 91.
- Podowski, M.Z., 1992, Two-Phase Flow Dynamics, in Boiling Heat Transfer; Modern Developments and Advances (R.T. Lahey, Jr. - Editor), Elsevier Publishing Corp.
- Podowski M.Z., 2008, Multidimensional Modeling of Two- Phase Flow and Heat Transfer, Int. Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow, V. 18, Issue 3/4.
- Podowski, M.Z., 2009, On the Consistency of Mechanistic Multidimensional Modeling of Gas/Liquid Two-Phase Flows, Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 239, 5, pp.933-940. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2008.10.022
- Podowski, M.Z., 2009, Recent Developments in the Modeling of Boiling Heat Transfer Mechanisms, Proc 13th Int. Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics (NURETH-13), Kanazawa, Japan.
- Podowski, M.Z., 2009a, On the Consistency of Mechanistic Multidimensional Modeling of Gas/Liquid Two-Phase Flows, Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 239, 5, pp.933-940. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2008.10.022
- Podowski, M.Z., 2012, Mechanistic Modeling of Boiling Heat Transfer, Embedded Topical Meeting: Advances in Thermal-Hydraulics, 2012 ANS Winter Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- Podowski, R.M, Lahey, R.T., Jr., Drew, D.A. and Podowski, M.Z., 1997, Mechanistic Multidimensional Modeling of Forced-Convection Boiling Heat Transfer, Proc. Eighth Int. Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics (NURETH-8), Kyoto, Japan, V.3.
- Podowski, M.Z. and Podowski, R.M, 2009, Mechanistic Multidimensional Modeling of Forced-Convection Boiling Heat Transfer, Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations, Article ID 387020.
- Rohsenow, W. M., 1952, A Method of Correlating Heat Transfer Data for Surface Boiling of Liquids, Trans. ASME, Vol. 74.
- Rohsenow, W.M., 1973, Handbook of Heat Transfer, McGraw-Hill.
- Rouhani, Z., 1966, Void Measurements in the Regions of Subcooled and Low-Quality Boiling. Ae-239.
- Situ, R., Tu, J. Yeoh, G-H., Hibiki, T., Ishii, M., and Mori, M., J., 2007, Dimensionless Analysis of Bubble Departure Frequency in Forced Convective Subcooled Boling Flow, Proc. 15th Int. Conf. on Nucl. Eng. ICONE-15-10148, Nagoya, Japan.
- Thom, J.R.S. et al., 1966, Boiling in Subcooled Water during Flow in Tubes and Annuli, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., 180.
- Zuber, N., 1963, Nucleate Boiling - the Region of Isolated Bubbles, Similarity with Natural Convection", Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 6, pp. 53-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(63)90029-2
- Computational fluid dynamics assessment of subcooled flow boiling in internal-combustion engine-like conditions at low flow velocities with a volume-of-fluid model and a two-fluid model vol.229, pp.13, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407015571674
- Computational fluid dynamics and population balance modelling of nucleate boiling of cryogenic liquids: Theoretical developments vol.8, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/1757482X16674217
- Study on Local Heat Transfer in the Vicinity of the Contact Line under Vapor Bubbles at Pool Boiling vol.56, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0018151X18040168