- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Addition of Bentonite and Probiotics on Meat Characteristics and Health of Hanwoo (Bos taurus coreanae) Steers fed Rice Straw As a Sole Roughage Source (a Field Study)
- Kwak, Wan-Sup (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Sciences College of Natural Sciences, Konkuk University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Moo (Department of Animal Science, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Young-Il (Animal Science, School of Life Resource and Environmental Sciences College of Natural Sciences, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2012.11.16
- Accepted : 2012.11.26
- Published : 2012.12.31
A study was conducted to determine the dietary effects of Na-bentonite (NaB) and probiotics on meat characteristics and health of Hanwoo steers fed rice straw as a sole roughage source. A total of 24 growing Hanwoo steers (avg BW 232 kg) were assigned to two treatments which included a control diet (concentrate mix and rice straw) and a treatment diet (control diet + 0.5-1.0% NaB + 0.5-1.0% probiotics. The diets were fed for 22 months up to the time the animals were slaughtered. Dietary treatment increased (p<0.05) concentrations of trace minerals such as Zn, Cu, and Fe in the longissimus muscle compared to the control. The treatment diet did not affect cold carcass weight, yield traits such as backfat thickness, longissimus muscle area, yield index, yield grade and quality traits such as marbling score, meat color, fat color, texture, maturity and quality grade. Blood profiles of growing steers were within the normal ranges for healthy cattle. In conclusion, feeding a combination of clay mineral and probiotics to Hanwoo steers fed rice straw as a sole roughage source could have a desirable effect on improving trace mineral retention in longissimus muscle without any deleterious effects on carcass traits of steers.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D. C.
- Bates, R.L. and Jackson, J.A. 1980. Glossary of Geology. American Geological Institute, Alexandria, VA.
- Braselton, W.E., Stuart, K.J., Mullaney, T.P. and Herdt, T.H. 1997. Biopsy mineral analysis by inductively coupled plasma-atomic emission spectroscopy with ultrasonic nebulization. Journal of Veterinary Diagnosis and Investigation 9:395-400. https://doi.org/10.1177/104063879700900409
- Cao, J., Henry, P.R., Guo, R., Holwerda, R.A., Toth, J.P., Littell, R.C., Miles, R.D. and Ammerman, C.B. 2000. Chemical characteristics and relative bioavailability of supplemental organic zinc sources for poultry and ruminants. Journal of Animal Science 78:2039-2054. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7882039x
- Cho, W.M., Paek, B.H., Kang, S.W., Kim, J.S. and Kim, Y.K. 2001. Effects of dietary supplements of clay minerals on the growth performance and immunity in growing Hanwoo steers. Korean Journal of Animal Science and Technology 43: 203-210.
- Church, D.C. and Pond, W.G. 1982. Nutrient metabolism. In: Basic Animal Nutrition and Feeding. John Wiley and Sons, NY.
- Cobon, D.H., Stephenson, R.G.A. and Hopkins, P.S. 1992. The effect of oral administration of methionine, bentonite, methionine/bentonite and methionine/oil homogenates on wool production of grazing and penned sheep in a semi-arid tropical environment. Journal of Animal Science 48:641-648.
- Cole, N.A., Purdy, C.W. and Hutcheson, D.P. 1992. Influence of yeast culture on feeder calves and lambs. Journal of Animal Science 70:1682- 1690. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7061682x
- Fenn, P.D. and Leng, R.A. 1989. Wool growth and sulfur amino acid entry rate in sheep fed roughage based diets supplemented with bentonite and sulfur amino acids. Australasian Journal of Agricultural Resources 40:889-896.
- Ha, J.K., Emerick, R.J. and Embry, L.B. 1985. Effect of bentonite and limestone on the growth rate and plasma mineral concentrations of fattening lambs. Korean Journal of Animal Science 27:24-28.
- Ivan, M., Dayrell, M.D., Mahadevan, S. and Hidiroglou, M. 1992. Effects of bentonite on wool growth and nitrogen metabolism in fauna-free and faunated sheep. Journal of Animal Science 70: 3194-3202. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.70103194x
- Jasaitis, D.K., Wohlt, J.E. and Evans, J.L. 1987. Influence of feed ion content on buffering capacity of ruminant feedstuffs in vitro. Journal of Dairy Science 70:1391-1403. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80161-3
- Kim, S.H., Hyun, S.H., Lee, S.M., Hwang, J.H., Jeon, B.T., Moon, S.H. and Sung, S.H. 2007. Effects of supplementation period and levels of fermented mineral feed (Power-Mix) on the growth and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo steer. Korean Journal of Food Science and Animal Resource 27: 450-456. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.4.450
- Korean Feeding Standard Establishment Council. 2007. Korean Feeding Standard for Korean Cattle (Hanwoo). National Livestock Research Institute, RDA, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Korea.
- Korean Livestock Enforcement Regulation. 2007. Korean carcass grading standards. An attached list No. 4, Revised 2007. 6.19, KDAF, Korea.
- Krehbiel, C.R., Rust, S.R., Zhang, G. and Gilliland, S.E. 2003. Bacterial direct-fed microbials in ruminant diets: Performance response and mode of action. Journal of Animal Science 81:E120-E132.
- Ma, J. and Betts, N.M. 2000. Zinc and copper intakes and their major food sources for older adults in the 1994-96 continuing survey of food intakes by individuals (CSFII). The Journal of Nutrition 130: 2838-2843. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.11.2838
- NRC. 2000. Nutrient requirements of beef cattle. Update 2000, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
- Pulsipher, G.D., Galyean, M.L., Hallford, D.M., Smith, G.S. and Kiehl, D.E. 1994. Effects of graded levels of bentonite on serum clinical profiles, metabolic hormones, and serum swain- sonine concentrations in lambs fed locoweed (Oxytropis sericea). Journal of Animal Science 72:1561-1569. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.7261561x
- Salles, M.S.V., Zanetti, M.A. and Salles. F.A. 2008. Effect of monensin on mineral balance in growing ruminants reared under different environ- mental temperatures. Animal Feed Science and Technology 141:233-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.06.030
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1990. SAS User's Guide. Version 6.08. Fourth Ed., SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Spears, J.W. and Kegley, E.B. 2002. Effect of zinc source (zinc oxide vs zinc proteinate) and level on performance, carcass characteristics, and immune response of growing and finishing steers. Journal of Animal Science 80:2747-2752.
- Subar, A.F., Krebs-Smith, S.M., Cook, A. and Kahle, L.L. 1998. Dietary sources of nutrients among US adults, 1989 to 1991. Journal of American Dietary Association 98:537-547.
- Van Soest, P.J., Robertson, J.B. and Lewis, B.A. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. Journal of Dairy Science 74: 3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wallach, J. 1974. Interpretation of Diagnostic Tests (2nd Ed.). Little, Brown and Company, Boston, MA.
- Walz, L.S., White, T.W., Fernandez, J.M., Gemtry, L.R., Blouin, D.C., Froetschel, M.A., Brown, T.F., Lupton, C.J. and Chapa, A.M. 1998. Effect of fish meal and sodium bentonite on daily gain, wool growth, carcass characteristics, and ruminal and blood characteristics of lambs fed concentrate diets. Journal of Animal Science 76:2025-2031. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7682025x
- Westing, T.W., Fontenot, J.P., McClure, W.H., Kelly, R.F. and Webb, K.E. Jr. 1985. Characterization of mineral element profiles in animal waste and tissues from cattle fed animal waste. I. Heifers fed broiler litter. Journal of Animal Science 61:670-681. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.613670x
- Williams J.E., Wagner, D.G., Walters, L.E., Horn, G.W., Waller, G.R., Sims, P.L. and Guenther, J.J. 1983. Effect of production systems on performance, body composition and lipid and mineral profiles of soft tissue in cattle. Journal of Animal Science 57:1020-1028. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.5741020x
- Yoon, I.K. and Stern, M.D. 1995. Influence of direct-fed microbes on ruminal microbial fermentation and performance of ruminants: a review. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Science 8: 533-555. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1995.553
- Effect of Feeding a Mixed Microbial Culture Fortified with Trace Minerals on the Performance and Carcass Characteristics of Late-fattening Hanwoo Steers: A Field Study vol.28, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0101
- Dietary supplementation of a bacteriocinogenic and probiotic strain of Enterococcus faecium CCM7420 and its effect on the mineral content and quality of Musculus longissimus dorsi in rabbits vol.56, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15094