- Volume 13 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Training Program to Raise Consciousness Among Adolescents for Protection Against Skin Cancer through Performance of Skin Self Examination
- Balyaci, Ozum Erkin (Department of Public Health Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Ege University) ;
- Kostu, Nazan (Department of Public Health Nursing, Denizli Vocational High School of Health, Pamukkale University) ;
- Temel, Ayla Bayik (Department of Public Health Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Ege University)
- Published : 2012.10.31
Background: Overexposure to sunlight in childhood and the adolescent period and associsated sunburns significantly increase the risk of skin cancer in adulthood. In Turkey, the incidence of skin cancer in the general population is 0.8%. The incidence is 0.6% and the mortality rate is 0.4% for men, while these rates are 1.0% and 0.7%, respectively, for women. If skin cancer is found early, its treatment is facilitated. Therefore, personal skin examination is important for early diagnosis. Objectives: Our aim was to determine the effects of training for raising consciousness among adolescents to protect against skin cancer by influencing skin self examination behavior. Method: This quasi experimental intervention study was conducted between February and April 2012 in Izmir. The study population consisted of students attending
- Balk SJ (2011). Technical Report-Ultraviolet Radiation: A hazard to children and adolescents. Pediatrics, 127, 791-817. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2010-3502
- Baum A, Cohen L (1998). Successful behavioral interventions to prevent cancer: The example of skin cancer. Annual Review of Public Hlth, 19, 318-333.
- Baz K, Kokturk A, Ikizoglu G, et al (2003). Adults' consciousness and habits of protecting their children from the sun. Turkiye Klinikleri Dermatoloji Dergisi, 13, 101-7.
- Boyett T, Leigh D, Wearhers L, et al (2002). Sun protection of children at the beach. J Am Board Fam Pract, 15, 112-7.
- Cassel KD (2010) "Sun Safe Kids," Implementing a low cost, school-based public policy to protect Hawaii's children from skin cancer risks. Hawaii Medical J, 69, 274-7.
- Cokkinides VE, Weinstock MA, O'Connell MC, Thun MJ (2002). Use of indoor tanning sunlamps by US youth, age 11-18 years, and by their parent or guardian caregivers: prevalence and correlates. Pediatrics, 109, 1124-30. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.109.6.1124
- Cokkinides VE, Davis KJ, Weinstock M, et al (2001). Sun Exposure and Sun Protection Behaviors and Attitudes Among U.S Youth, 11 to 18 Years of Age. Preventive Medicine, 33, 141-51. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2001.0877
- David Cornfield Melanoma Fund (2012). Dear 16 Year Old Me film. Retrieved: 07.01.2012, from www.dcmf.ca
- Davis KJ, Cokkinides VE, Weinstock MA, O'Connell MC, Wingo PA (2002). Summer sunburn and sun exposure among US youths ages 11 to 18: National prevalence and associated factors. Pediatrics, 110, 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.110.1.27
- Dietrich AJ, Olson AL, Sox CH, et al (1998). A Communitybased randomized trial encouraging sun protection for children. Pediatrics, 102, 64-71. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.102.6.e64
- Emmons KM, Geller AC, Viswanath V, et al (2008). The SunWise policy intervention for school-based sun protection: A Pilot Study. JOSN, 24, 215-21.
- Ergul S, Ozeren E (2011). Sun protection behavior and individual risk factors of Turkish primary school students associated with skin cancer: A Questionnaire-Based Study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 765-70.
- Feher K, Cercato MC, Prantner I, et al (2010). Skin cancer risk factors among primary school children: Investigations in Western Hungary. Prev Med, 51, 320-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2010.07.002
- Glanz K, Saraiya M, Wechsler H (2002). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for school programs to prevent skin cancer. MMWR Recomm Rep, 51, 1-18.
- Globocan (2008). Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide in 2008. Retrieved: 05.02.2012, from http://globocan.iarc.fr/factsheet.asp
- Gokalp A, Ozgoztası O (2005). Deri ve deri altı dokusu. 'Temel Cerrahi ve Sistemik Cerrahi' (Skin and subcutaneous tissue. In the 'Basic Surgical and Systemic Surgery)Eds: Gulay H. 1. Baski, Guven Kitapevi, İzmir, pp: 887-926 (in Turkish).
- Heckman CJ, Coups EJ (2011). Correlates of sunscreen use among high school students: a cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Hlth, 11, 1471-2458
- Hossfeld DK, Sherman CD, Love RR, Bosch FX (1992). Uluslararasi Kanserle Savaa Birligi Klinik Onkoloji. Eds: Firat D, Sarioglu F, Kars A, 5. Baski, Ankara, pp: 163-178.
- James AS, Tripp MK, Parcel GS, Sweeney A, Gritz ER (2002). Psychosocial correlates of sun-protective practices of preschool staff toward their students. Hlth Education Research, 17, 305-314. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/17.3.305
- Kostu N, Erkin Balyacı O, Bayık Temel A (2012). Turkish adaptation of skin self examination (SSE) form), 15. Ulusal Halk Sagligı Kongre Kitabi (15th Congress of the National Public Health, Congress Book), Bursa (in Turkish).
- Kristja'nsson S, Helgason A'R, Mansson-Brahme E, Widlund-Ivarson B, Ulle'n H (2003). You and your skin: a shortduration presentation of skin cancer prevention for teenagers. Hlth Education Res Theory & Practice, 18, 88-97. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/18.1.88
- Lowe JB, McDermott LJ, Stanton WR, et al (2002). Behavior of caregivers to protect their infants from exposure to the sun in Queesland, Australia. Hlth Education Res, 17, 405-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/17.4.405
- Maguire-Eisen M, Rothman K, Demierre MF (2005) The ABCs of sun protection for children. Dermatology Nursing, 17, 419-33.
- McWhirter JM, Collins M, Bryant I, Wetton NM, Bishop JN (2000). Evaluting 'Safe in the Sun', a curriculum programme for primary schools. Hlth Education Res, 15, 203-217. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/15.2.203
- Ministry of Health of Turkey (2008). School Health in Health Services Book) T.C. Saglik Bakanligi Refik Saydam Hıfzıssıhha Merkezi Baskanligi, Hifzissihha Mektebi Mudurlugu, Saglik Bakanligi Yayin Numarası:719, Ankara (in Turkish).
- Ministry of Health of Turkey, Department of Cancer Control (2009). National cancer program from 2009 to 2015). Eds: Tuncer M., Yayın no:760, Ankara (in Turkish).
- Prochaska OJ, Velicer FW (1997). The transtheoretical model of health behavior change. Am J Hlth Promotion, 12, 38-48. https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-12.1.38
- Reinau D, Meier C, Gerber N, Hofbauer GFL, Surber C (2012). Sun protective behaviour of primary and secondary school students in North-Western Switzerland. Swiss Med Wkly, 142, 2012-13520.
- Saraiya M, Glanz K, Briss PA, et al (2004). Interventions to prevent skin cancer by reducing exposure to ultraviolet radiation: a systematic review. Am J Prev Med, 27, 422-66.
- Saridi M, Pappa V, Kyriazis I, et al (2009). Knowledge and attitudes to sun exposure among adolescents in Korinthos, Greece. Rural Remote Hlth, 9, 1162.
- Suppa M, Cazzaniga S, Fargnoli MC, Naldi L, Peris K (2012). Knowledge, perceptions and behaviours about skin cancer and sun protection among secondary school students from Central Italy. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereology, 10, 1468-3083.
- The Skin Cancer Foundation (2012). Step by step self examination. Retrieved: 02.01.2012, from http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/early-detection/step-by-step-self-examination
- Uslu M, Karaman G, Sendur N (2006). The evaluation of level of knowledge and sun protection behaviors of Adnan Menderes University physicians about the skin cancer and effects of the sun. ADU Tip Fakultesi Dergisi, 7, 5-10 (in Turkish).
- Uysal A, Altug Ozsoy S, Ergul S (2004). Evaluation of students' sun protection behaviors. Ege Tip Dergisi, 43, 95-9 (in Turkish).
- Ulkur E, Karagoz H, Acikel C, Yuksel F, Celikoz B (2005). .Recurrence rates of non-melanoma skin cancer: a retrospective analysis of 11 years. Cerrahpasa J. Med, 36, 189-93 (in Turkish).
- Walker DK (2012) Skin protection for (SPF) kids program. J Pediatric Nur, 27, 233-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2011.01.031
- Xiao JJ, O'Neil B, Prochaska MJ, Kerbel CM (2004). A consumer education programme based on the transtheoretical model of change. Int J Consumer Studies, 28, 55-65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2004.00334.x
- Effect of Skin Cancer Training Provided to Maritime High School Students on Their Knowledge and Behaviour vol.16, pp.17, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7769
- Effects of Creating Awareness Through Photographs and Posters on Skin Self-Examination in Nursing Students pp.1543-0154, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-016-1037-y
- Mouth examination performance by children's parents and by adolescents in Fanconi anemia vol.64, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.26622
- Knowledge and practices of primary care providers on skin cancer and skin self-examination vol.52, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/s1980-220x2017039703359