- Volume 13 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
High and Low Dose Folinic Acid, 5-Fluorouracil Bolus and Continuous Infusion for Poor-Prognosis Patients with Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma
- Bano, Nusrat (Pharmacology, Ziauddin College of Pharmacy, Ziauddin University) ;
- Najam, Rahila (Department of Pharmacology, University of Karachi) ;
- Mateen, Ahmed (Radiotherapy, Consultant Clinical Oncologist, Karachi Institute of Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine (KIRAN)) ;
- Qazi, Faaiza (Pharmaceutics, Jinnah University for Women)
- Published : 2012.08.31
Objective: Evaluation and assessment of response rate, duration and toxicity in patients subjected to 5-FU based chemotherapy. Background: The therapeutic ratio shifts with different 5FU/LV regimens and none yet serve as the internationally accepted Gold Standard. A bimonthly regimen of high dose leucovorin is reported to be less toxic and more effective than monthly low dose regimens. We here compare therapeutic responses and survival benefit of the two regimens in poor prognosis patients with advanced colorectal carcinoma. Patients and Methods: A total of 35 patients with histologically confirmed colorectal carcinoma were subjected to de Gramont and Mayo Clinic regimen. Nineteen patients were treated with high dose folinic acid (
- Bachet JB, Rougier P, De Gramont A, Andre T (2010). Rectal cancer and adjuvant chemotherapy: which conclusions? Bull Cancer, 97, 107-22.
- Benson III AB, Arnoletti JP, Bekaii-Saab T, et al (2011). Clinical practice guidelines in oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 9, 1238-89. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2011.0104
- Braun MS, Seymour MT (2011).Balancing the efficacy and toxicity of chemotherapy in colorectal cancer. Ther Adv Med Oncol, 3, 43-52. https://doi.org/10.1177/1758834010388342
- Bray F, Sankila R, Ferlay J, Parkin DM (2002). Estimates of cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 1995. Eur J Cancer, 38, 99-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(01)00350-1
- Chibaudel B, Tournigand C, André T, De Gramont A (2012). Therapeutic strategy in unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer. TherAdv Med Oncol, 4, 75-89. https://doi.org/10.1177/1758834011431592
- Corfu-A Study Group (1995). Phase III randomized study of two fluorouracil combinations with either interferon alfa-2a or leucovorin for advanced colorectal cancer. J ClinOncol, 13, 921-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.1991
- De Gramont A, Bosset JF, Milan C, et al (1997). Randomized trial comparing monthly low-dose Folinic Acid and Fluorouracil bolus with bimonthly high-dose Folinic Acid and fluorouracil bolus plus continuous infusion for advanced colorectal cancer: a French intergroup study. J ClinOncol, 15, 808-15. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19188.8.131.528
- Folprecht G, Cunningham D, Ross P, et al (2004). Efficacy of 5-fluorouracil-based chemotherapy in elderly patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: a pooled analysis of clinical trials. Ann Oncol, 15, 1330-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh344
- Gamelin EC, Danquechin-Dorval EM, Dumesnil YF, et al (1996). Relationship between 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) dose intensity and therapeutic response in patients with advanced colorectal cancer receiving infusional therapy containing 5-FU. Cancer, 77, 441-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19960201)77:3<441::AID-CNCR4>3.0.CO;2-N
- Hill M, Norman A, Cunningham D, et al (1995). Impact of protracted venous infusion fluorouracil with or without interferon alfa-2b on tumor response, survival, and quality of life in advanced colorectal cancer. J ClinOncol, 13, 2317-23. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19184.108.40.2067
- Kemeny N (1987). Role of chemotherapy in the treatment of colorectal carcinoma. Semin Surg Oncol, 3, 190-214. https://doi.org/10.1002/ssu.2980030312
- Kim JH, Kim HS, Han AR, et al (2012). Irinotecan, leucovorin and 5 fluorouracil (modified FOLFIRI) as salvage chemotherapy for frail or elderly patients with advanced gastric cancer. Oncol Letters, 4, 751-4. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2012.782
- Koca D, Oztop I, Yavuzsen T, Ellidokuz H, Yilmaz U (2011). Evaluation of the efficacy of modified de Gramont and modified Folfox4 regimens for adjuvant therapy of locally advanced rectal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3181-6.
- Kohne CH, Folprecht G, Goldberg RM, Mitry E, Rougier P (2008). Chemotherapy in elderly patients with colorectal cancer. Oncologist, 13, 390-402. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2007-0043
- Meta-analysis Group in Cancer (1998). Efficacy of intravenous continuous infusion of fluorouracil compared with bolus administration in advanced colorectal cancer. J ClinOncol, 16, 301-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19220.127.116.111
- MilanoG, Etienne MC, Cassuto-Viguier E, et al (1992). Influence of sex and age on fluorouracil clearance. J ClinOncol, 10, 1171-5. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.1918.104.22.1681
- Patel K, Anthoney DA, Crellin AM, et al (2004). Weekly 5-Fluorouracil and Folinic Acid: achieving lower toxicity with higher dose-intensity in adjuvant chemotherapy after colorectal cancer resection. Ann Oncol, 15, 568-73. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh134
- Petrelli F, Barni S (2012). Correlation of progression-free and post-progression survival with overall survival in advanced colorectal cancer. Ann Oncol, 16, 1093.
- Petrelli N, Douglass HO, Herrera L, et al (1989). The modulation of fluorouracil with leucovorin in metastatic colorectal carcinoma: a prospective randomized phase III trial. Gastrointestinal Tumor Study Group. J Clin Oncol, 7, 1419-26. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.1922.214.171.1249
- Sargent DJ, Goldberg RM, Jacobson SD, et al (2001).A pooled analysis of adjuvant chemotherapy for resected colon cancer in elderly patients. N Engl J Med, 345, 1091-7.
- Scheithauer W, Blum J (2004). Coming to grips with hand-foot syndrome. Oncol, 18, ?-?.
- Stein BN, Petrelli NJ, Douglass HO, et al (1995). Age and sex are independent predictors of 5-fluorouracil toxicity. Analysis of a large scale phase III trial. Cancer, 75, 11-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19950101)75:1<11::AID-CNCR2820750104>3.0.CO;2-N
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA, et al (2000). New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst, 92, 205-16. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.3.205
- Twelves CJ, Cassidy J (2002). Which endpoints should we use in evaluating the use of novel ﬂuoropyrimidine regimens in colorectal cancer? Br J Cancer, 86, 1670-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600341
- Van KuilenburgABP, Meinsma R, Zoetekouw L,Van Gennip AH (2002). Increased risk of grade IV neutropenia after administration of 5-fluorouracil due to a dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase deficiency: High prevalence of the IVS14+1g>a mutation. Int J Cancer, 101, 253-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10599
- Zalcberg J, Kerr D, Seymour L, Palmer M (1998).Haematological and non-haematologicaltoxicityafter 5-fluorouraciland leucovorin in patients with advanced colorectal cancer is significantly associated with gender, increasingageand cycle number. Tomudex International Study Group. Eur J Cancer, 34, 1871-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(98)00259-7
- Comparative Assessment of Skin and Subcutaneous Toxicity in Patients of Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma Treated with Different Schedules of FOLFOX vol.14, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.1781