- Volume 28 Issue 10
EKF-based SLAM Using Sonar Salient Feature and Line Feature for Mobile Robots
이동로봇을 위한 Sonar Salient 형상과 선 형상을 이용한 EKF 기반의 SLAM
- Heo, Young-Jin (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lim, Jong-Hwan (Department of Mechatronics, Cheju National University) ;
- Lee, Se-Jin (Department of Applied Robotics, Kyungil University)
- Received : 2011.05.25
- Accepted : 2011.07.04
- Published : 2011.10.01
Not all line or point features capable of being extracted by sonar sensors from cluttered home environments are useful for simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM) due to their ambiguity because it is difficult to determine the correspondence of line or point features with previously registered feature. Confused line and point features in cluttered environments leads to poor SLAM performance. We introduce a sonar feature structure suitable for a cluttered environment and the extended Kalman filter (EKF)-based SLAM scheme. The reliable line feature is expressed by its end points and engaged togather in EKF SLAM to overcome the geometric limits and maintain the map consistency. Experimental results demonstrate the validity and robustness of the proposed method.
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation
- Durrant-Whyte, H. F. and Bailey, T., "Simultaneous localization and mapping: part I," IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 99-110, 2006.
- Montemerlo, M. and Thrun, S., "Simultaneous localization and mapping with unknown data association using FastSLAM," Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1985-1991, 2003.
- Davison, A. J., "Real-time simultaneous localisation and mapping with a single camera," Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 1403-1410, 2003.
- Tardos, J. D., Neira, J., Newman, P. M. and Leonard, J. J., "Robust Mapping and Localization in Indoor Environments Using Sonar Data," The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 311-330, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/027836402320556340
- Wijk, O. and Christensen, H. I., "Triangulation-Based Fusion of Sonar Data with Application in Robot Pose Tracking," IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 740-752, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/70.897785
- Huh, Y. J., Lee, S.-J. and Lim, J.-H., "A Robust Method for Managing Line Features Extracted by Sonar Sensors in EKF-based SLAM," Proc. of KSPE Autumn Conference, pp. 185-186, 2010.
- Lee, S.-J. and Song, J.-B., "A New Sonar Salient Feature Structure for EKF-based SLAM," International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 5966-5971, 2010.
- Lee, S.-J., Lim, J.-H. and Cho, D.-W., "Robust Feature Detection for Mapping and Localization of a Mobile Robot Using Sparsely Sampled Sonar Data," Advanced Robotics, Vol. 23, No. 12-13 pp. 1601-1616, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1163/016918609X12496339865491