- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Thermal Stability of Surface Film Formed on a Graphite Negative Electrode in Lithium Secondary Batteries
리튬 이차전지의 흑연 음극에 형성된 표면피막의 열적 안정성
- Jeong, Soon-Ki (Department of Chemical Engineering, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Lee, Ha-Na (Department of Chemical Engineering, Soonchunhyang University) ;
- Kim, Yang-Soo (Suncheon Center, Korea Basic Science Institute)
- Received : 2011.08.22
- Accepted : 2011.08.25
- Published : 2011.08.31
The stability at elevated temperatures of a surface film formed on a graphite electrode in lithium secondary batteries was investigated by transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and electrochemical AC impedance spectroscopy (EIS). TEM analysis revealed that the surface film partly dissolved in the electrolyte solution during storage at
J. R. Dahn, 'Phase-diagram of
$Li_xC_6$' Phys. Rev., B44, 9170 (1991).
- T. Ohzuku, Y. Iwakoshi, and K. Sawai, 'Formaion of lithium-graphite intercalation compounds in nonaqueous electrolytes and their application as a negative electrode for lithium ion (shuttlecock) cell' J. Electrochem. Soc., 140, 2490 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2220849
- Z. Jiang, M. Alamgir, and K. M. Abraham, 'The electrochemical intercalation of Li into graphite in Li/polymer electrolyte/graphite cells' J. Electrochem. Soc., 142, 333 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2043997
- M. Inaba, H. Yoshida, Z. Ogumi, T. Abe, Y. Mizutani, and M. Asano, 'In situ Raman study on electrochemical Li intercalation into graphite' J. Electrochem. Soc., 142, 20 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2043869
R. Yazami and D. Guerard, 'Some aspects on the ppeparation, structure and physical and electrochemical properties of
$Li_xC_6$', J. Power Sources, 43-44, 39 (1993).
- E. Peled, "Handbook of Battery Materials" 419, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim (1999).
- E. Peled, 'The electrochemical behavior of alkali and alkaline earth metals in nonaqueous battery systems? The solid electrolyte interphase Model' J. Electrochem. Soc., 126, 2047 (1979). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2128859
- Z. Ogumi, A. Sano, M. Inaba, and T. Abe, 'Pyrolysis/gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy analysis of the surface film formed on graphite negative electrode' J. Power Sources, 97-98, 156 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00529-8
- D. Bar-Tow, E. Peled, and L. Burstein, 'A study of highly oriented pyrolytic graphite as a model for the graphite anode in Li-ion batteries' J. Electrochem. Soc., 146, 824 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1391688
- E. Pled, D. Bar-Tow, A. Merson, A. Gladkich, L. Burstein, and D. Golodnitsky, 'Composition, depth profiles and lateral distribution of materials in the SEI built on HOPG-TOF SIMS and XPS studies' J. Power Sources, 97-98, 52 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00505-5
- C. Menachem, E. Peled, L. Burstein, and Y. Rosenberg, 'Characterization of modified NG7 graphite as an improved anode for lithium-ion batteries' J. Power Sources, 68, 277 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(96)02629-8
- E. Peled, D. Golodnitsky, C. Menachem, and D. Bar-Tow, 'An advanced tool for the selection of electrolyte components for rechargeable lithium batteries' J. Electrochem. Soc., 145, 3482 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1838831
- O. Chusid (Youngman), Y. E. Ely, D. Aurbach, M. Babai, and Y. Carmeli 'Electrochemical and spectroscopic studies of carbon electrodes in lithium battery electrolyte systems' J. Power Sources, 43-44, 47 (1993).
- Y. Ein-Eli, B. Markovsky, D. Aurbach, Y. Carmeli, H. Yamin, and S. Luski, 'The dependence of the performance of Li-C intercalation amodes for Li-ion secondary batteries on the electrolyte solution composition' Electrochim. Acta, 39, 2559 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-4686(94)00221-5
- D. Aurbach, Y. Ein-Eli, O. Chusid (Youngman), Y. Carmeli, M. Babai, and H. Yamin, 'The correlation between the surface chemistry and the performance of Li-carbon intercalation snodes for rechargeable rocking-chair type batteries' J. Electrochem. Soc., 141, 603 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2054777
- D. Aurbach, Y. Ein-Eli, B. Markovsky, A. Zaban, S. Luski, Y. Carmeli, and H. Yamin, 'The study of electrolyte solutions based on ethylene and diethyl carbonates for rechargeable Li batteries' J. Electrochem. Soc., 142, 2882 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2048659
- M. Inaba, H. Tomiyasu, A. Tasaka, S.-K. Jeong, Y. Iriyama, T. Abe, and Z. Ogumi, 'Surface film formation on graphite negative electrode at elevated temperatures' Electrochemistry, 71, 1132 (2003).
- M. Inaba, H. Tomiyasu, A. Tasaka, S.-K. Jeong, and Z. Ogumi, 'Atomic force microscopy study on the stability of a surface film formed on a graphite negative electrode at elevated temperatures' Langmuir, 20, 1348 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1021/la035857z
- A. Funabiki, M. Inaba, and Z. Ogumi, 'AC impedance analysis of electrochemical lithium intercalation into highly oriented pyrolytic graphite' J. Power Sources, 68, 227 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(96)02556-6
- M. Itagaki, S. Yotsuda, N. Kobari, K. Watanabe, S. Kinoshita, and M. Ue, 'Electrochemical impedance of electrolyte/electrode interfaces of lithium-ion rechargeable batteries: Effects of additives to the electrolyte on negative electrode' Electrochim. Acta, 51, 1629 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2005.02.136
- G. H. Grodnigg, T. M. Grodnigg, J. O. Besenhard, and M. Winter, 'Propylene sulfite as film-forming electrolyte additive in lithium ion batteries' J. Power Sources, 97-98, 592 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00536-5
- M. Xu, W. Li, and B. L. Lucht, 'Effect of propane sultone on elevated temperature performance of anode and cathode materials in lithium-ion batteries' J. Power Sources, 193, 804 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.03.067
- B. T. Yu, W. H. Qiu, F. H. Li, and L. Cheng, 'A study on sulfites for lithium-ion battery electrolytes' J. Power Sources, 158, 1373 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.10.033