- Volume 13 Issue 1
Two conceptually thorny issues in IT governance definition and understanding are examined and discussed. It is argued that the traditional IT governance definition, which defines governance in terms of the content of enterprise IT activity, is prone to logical inconsistency and indeterminacy. A new objectives-bound definition of IT governance is proposed as a remedy to the problem. It is proposed that the essence of the objectives-bound IT governance lies in making enterprise IT activity explicit, formal and subject to external scrutiny in its effort to achieve the effectiveness, transparency and accountability of IT. A conceptual apparatus called IT activity axes is employed to characterize and distinguish the different approaches to IT governance definition and understanding. It is suggested that IT governance can be defined using a simple frame of reference with logical consistency and coherence. The theoretical and practical implications of the IT governance definition are discussed at the end.
- Gartner, "The Need for IT Governance: Now More than Ever?", Gartner Report, 2004.
- Guldentops, E., "Governing information technology through COBIT", in: Van Grembergen, W. (Ed.): Strategies for Information Technology Governance, Idea Group Publishing, 2004.
- Henderson, J. and N. Venkatraman, "Strategic Alignment: Leveraging IT for Transforming Organizations", IBM Systems Journal, Vol.32, No.1, 1993, pp. 472-484. https://doi.org/10.1147/sj.382.0472
- ISO/IEC, http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csmunber = 51639, 2008.
- ITGI, Board Briefing on IT Governance, 2nd Edition, IT Governance Institute, 2003, in: http://www.itgi.org.
- ITGI, IT Governance Global status Report-2008, IT Governance Institute, 2008 in: http://www.itgi.org.
- Korac-Kakabadse, N. and A. Kakabadse, "IS/IT Governance: Need for an Integrated Model", Corporate Governance, Vol.1, No.4, 2001, pp. 9-11. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000005974
- Lee, J. H., C. C. Lee, and D. W. Jang, "IT Governance based IT Strategy and Management: Literature Review and Future Research Direction", 2006 ITG International Conference, Auckland, NZ,2006.
- Lee, J. H, S. H Juhn, and K. T. Hwang, "New Development of Advanced IT Governance Framework", Proceedings, the 42nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences(HICSS), 2009.
- Luftman, J., "Assessing Business IT Alignment Maturity", in van Grembergen (Ed) Strategies for Information Technology Governance, 2004.
- Peterson, R. R., R. O'Callaghan, and P. M. A. Ribbers, "Information Technology Governance by Design: Investigating hybrid Configurations and Integration Mechanisms", Proceedings, the 21st International Conference on Information Systems, 2000, pp. 435-452.
- Peterson, R. R., "Crafting Information Technology Governance", Information Systems Management, Vol.21, No.4, 2004, pp. 7-23. https://doi.org/10.1201/1078/44705.21.4.20040901/84183.2
- Shleifer, A. and W. Vishny, "A Survey on Corporate Governance", The Journal of Finance, Vol.52, No.2, 1997, pp. 737-783. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1997.tb04820.x
- Simon, H. A., The Sciences of the Artificial, MIT Press, 1969.
- Simonsson, M. and P. Johnson, "Defining IT Governance-A Consolidation of Literature", the 18th Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering, 2006.
- Webb, P., C. Pollard, and G. Ridley, "Attempting to Define IT Governance: Wisdom or Folly?", Proceedings, the 39th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences(HICSS), 2006.
- Weill, P. and J. W. Ross, IT Governance-How Top Performers Manage IT Decision Rights for Superior Results, Harvard Business School Press, 2004.
- Van Grembergen, W., "The Balanced Scorecard and IT Governance", The Information Systems Control Journal, ISACA, Vol.2, 2000.
- Van Grembergen, W., (Ed.): Strategies for Information Technology Governance, Idea Group Publishing, 2004.
- Xavier, V., Corporate Governance-Theoretical and Empirical Perspectives, Cambridge University Press, 2000.