- Volume 17 Issue 1
Effects of Social Capital on Organizational Performance in Hospital Organization - Focusing on Effects of Intellectual Capital -
간호사가 지각한 병원조직의 사회적 자본이 조직성과에 미치는 영향 - 지적자본에 의한 효과를 중심으로 -
- Jang, Keum-Seong (College of Nursing, Chonnam National University, Research Institute of Nursing Science, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, Eun-A (Kidney Center, Department of Nursing, Chonnam National University Hospital) ;
- Oh, Suk-Hee (Department of Nursing, Jeonbuk Science College, Research Institute of Nursing Science, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2010.08.26
- Accepted : 2010.12.05
- Published : 2011.03.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of intellectual capital in the relationship between social capital and organizational performance in hospital organizations. Methods: A cross-sectional design was used, with a convenience sample of 390 nurses from 3 general hospitals in Gwangju and Chonnam province. Data were collected through a questionnaire survey done from May 1 to 15, 2009. Data was analyzed with descriptive statistics, Pearson correlation coefficient and hierarchial multiple regression using the SPSS WIN 17.0 program. Results: There was a significantly positive relationship between social capital, intellectual capital and organizational performance. Intellectual capital showed partial mediating effects between social capital and organizational performance. However, intellectual capital did not show moderating effects. Conclusion: Accumulated social capital increased intellectual capital and the increased intellectual capital increased organizational performance. This finding suggests that as a contribution to the improvement of organizational performance in hospitals, creation and accumulation of social capital and intellectual capital are very critical.
Supported by : 전남대학교
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distintion in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- Bontis, N. (1998). Intellectual capital： An exploratory study that develops measures and models. Management Decision, 36(2), 63-76. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251749810204142
- Cabrita, M., & Vaz, J. (2006). Intellectual capital and value creation: evidence from the portuguese banking industry. The Electronic Journal of Knowledge Management, 4(1), 11-20.
- Coleman, J. S. (1988). Social capital in the creation of human capital. The American Journal of Sociology, 94(S1), 95-120. https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- Covell, C. L. (2008). The middle-range theory of nursing intellectual capital. Journal of Advanced Nursing 63(1), 94-103. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04626.x
- Chung, M. H., & Oh, H. S. (2007). Human capital, social capital and work group performance. Korean Journal of Management, 15(3), 91-122.
- Davidson, D. (2007). Strength in nursing leadership: the key to the evolution of intellectual capital in nursing. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 31(1), 36-42. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006216-200701000-00011
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., & Buchner, A. (2007). G*power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175-191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Hall, L. M. (2003) Nursing intellectual capital: A theoretical approach for analyzing nursing productivity. Nursing Economics, 21(1), 14-19.
- Jeung, J. H. (2007). Structural equation modeling in nursing productivity of nurses in a hospital. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chungang University, Seoul.
- Jung, C. Y., & Choi, R. G. (2009). SPSSWIN for Statistics Analysis, Ver. 14.0 (5th ed.). Seoul: Muyok Publishing Co.
- Kim, K. J., & Chung, B. K. (2008). A study on the impact of intellectual capital on the innovative behavior: Focused on the moderating effect of psychological capital. Productivity Review, 22(1), 25-47.
- Korea standards association. (2010, March 11). National quality award judging standard. Retrieved March 17, 2010, from http://www.ksa.or.kr/download/2010nqa/10_qmhealth_criteria.p df
- Kym, H., Kang, Y. S., & Jeong, S. H. (2003). The impact of intellectual capital on firm performance: An empirical study. Knowledge Management Research, 4(1), 35-54.
- Lee, S. C., Suh, Y. H., & Han, S. S. (2007). Causal relationship among Baldrige health care criteria in Korean university hospitals. Journal of the Korean society for Quality Management, 35(4), 1-15.
- Lee, Y. C. (2007). Social capital, knowledge management, and organizational performance. Journal of information systems, 16(4), 223-241.
- Lee, Y. H., Kim, A. K., Ryu, H. G., & Kim, M. R. (2007). Social capital and human resource development (II): Social capital of enterprises and corporate competitiveness in Korea. Seoul: Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education & Training.
- Moon, Y. J., & Kym, H. (2007). Towards an realistic framework for intellectual capital: Conceptual classification and assessment of components. Journal of Business Research, 22(4), 379-409.
- Nahapiet, J., & Ghoshal, S. (1998). Social capital, intellectual capital, and the organizational advantage. Academy of Management Review, 23(2), 242-266.
- Oh, H., Chung, M., & Labianca, G. (2004). Group social capital and group effectiveness: The role of informal socializing ties. Academy of Management Journal, 47(6), 860-875. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159627
- Park, H. B., Kang, J. S., & Kim, S. M. (2003). The creation of social capital and intellectual capital, and their effects on organizational performance management. Korea Public Administration Journal, 12(1), 3-36.
- Park, H. B. (2002). A study on promoting social capital in local government organization. The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, 6(1), 221-237.
- Park, S. M. (2001). Influence of organizational social capital on the creation of new intellectual capital. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chonnam National University, Kwangju.
- Peng, T. J. A., Pike, S., & Roos, G. (2007). Intellectual capital and performance indicators: Taiwanese healthcare sector. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 8(3), 538-556. https://doi.org/10.1108/14691930710774902
- Preacher, K. J., & Hayes, A. F. (2004). SPSS and SAS procedures for estimating indirect effects in simple mediation models. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 36(4), 717-731. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03206553
- Putnam, R. D. (1993). Making democracy work: Civic traditions in modern Italy. Princeton: Princeton University.
- Sobel, M. E. (1982). Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. In S. Leinhart (Ed.), Sociological methodology (pp. 290-312). San Francisco, SF: Jossey-Bass.
- Suh, I. D., Doh, J. W., & Jung, K. S. (2009). The mediating effects of social capital between organizational culture and organizational effectiveness. Journal of Human Resource Management Research, 16(special), 93-110.
- Weston, M. J., Estrada, N. A,, & Carrington, J. (2007). Reaping benefits from intellectual capital. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 31(1), 6-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006216-200701000-00005
- Yoo, S. Y., & Kim, I. S. (2005). A study on the relationship between nursing organizational culture of military hospital and organizational performance. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 11(2), 1-17.