- Volume 19 Issue 3
The Engine Performance and Emission Characteristics of CNG/Diesel Dual-fuel Engine by CNG Mixing Ratio
CNG/Diesel Dual-fuel 엔진의 CNG 혼합율에 따른 엔진성능 및 배출가스 특성에 관한 연구
- Choi, Gun-Ho (Graduate School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Ulsan University) ;
- Lim, Ock-Taeck (Department of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Ulsan University)
- Received : 2010.03.15
- Accepted : 2010.11.08
- Published : 2011.05.01
A CNG/diesel dual-fuel engine uses CNG as the main fuel and injects a small amount of diesel as an ignition priming. This study proposed the modification of the existing diesel engine into a dual-fuel engine that injects diesel with a high pressure by common rail direct injection (CRDI) and by injecting CNG at the intake port for premixing. And experiment was progressed for understanding about effect of CNG mixing ratio. The CNG/diesel dual-fuel engine showed equally satisfactory coordinate torque and power regardless of CNG mixing ratio. The PM emission was low at any CNG mixing ratio because of very small diesel pilot injection. In case of NOx and HC, high CNG mixing ratio showed low NOx and HC emissions at low speed. At medium & high speed, low CNG mixing ratio showed low NOx and HC emissions. Therefore, it would be optimized by controlling CNG mixing ratio.
Supported by : 울산대학교
- J. H. Lee, Y. D. Pyo, O. S. Kwon, Y. G. Lee, P. C. Na, J. I. Ryu and Y. J. Lee, "Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Pilot Compression Ignition CNG Engine," KSAE 06-S0300, 2006.
- S. S. Yoon, S. J. Heo and Y. H. Roh, "Characteristics of Dual Fuel System for Diesel Engine and Vehicle Driving," KSAE 08-S0076, 2008.
- J. Shen, J. Qin and M. Yao, "Turbocharged Diesel/CNG Dual-fuel Engines with Intercooler: Combustion, Emissions and Performance," SAE 2003-01-3082, 2003.
- J. McKinley Addy, A. Bining, P. Norton, E. Peterson, K. Campbell and O. Bevillaqua, "Demonstration of Caterpillar C10 Dual Fuel Natural Gas Engines in Commuter Buses," SAE 2000-01-1386, 2000.
- W. P. Johnson, N. J. Beck, O. Lovkov, V. K. Koshkin, I. S. Piatov and A. van der Lee, "All Electronic Dual Fuel Injection System for the Belarus D-144 Diesel Engine," SAE 901502, 1990.
- W. A. Majewski and M. K. Khair, Diesel Emissions and Their Control, SAE, pp.105- 117, 2006.