- Volume 15 Issue 3
The Gauge-Uzawa method [GUM] in  which is a projection type algorithm to solve evolution Navier-Stokes equations has many advantages and superior performance. But this method has been studied for backward Euler time discrete scheme which is the first order technique, because the classical second order GUM requests rather strong stability condition. Recently, the second order time discrete GUM was modified to be unconditionally stable and estimated errors in . In this paper, we contemplate several GUMs which can be derived by the same manner within , and we dig out properties of them for both stability and accuracy. In addition, we evaluate an stability condition for the classical GUM to construct an adaptive GUM for time to make free from strong stability condition of the classical GUM.
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation
- A.J. Chorin, Numerical solution of the Navier-Stokes equations, Math. Comp., 22 (1968) 745-762. https://doi.org/10.1090/S0025-5718-1968-0242392-2
- P. Constantin and C. Foias, Navier-Stokes Equations, The University of Chicago Press (1988).
- V. Girault, and P.A. Raviart, Finite Element Methods for Navier-Stokes Equations, Springer-Verlag (1986).
- J.L. Guermond, P. Minev, and Jie Shen. An overview of projection methods for incompressible flows, Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., 195 (2006), 6011-6045. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2005.10.010
- J.L. Guermond and J. Shen On the error estimates of rotational pressure-correction projection methods, Math. Comp., 73 (2004), 1719-1737.
- J.G. Heywood and R. Rannacher, Finite element approximation of the non-stationary Navier-stokes problem. I. regularity of solutions and second-order error estimates for spatial discretization, SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 19 (1982), 275-311. https://doi.org/10.1137/0719018
- R.B. Kellogg and J.E. Osborn, A regularity result for the stokes problems in a convex polygon, J. Funct. Anal., 21 (1976), 397-431. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1236(76)90035-5
- R.H. Nochetto and J.-H. Pyo, Error estimates for semi-discrete gauge methods for the Navier- Stokes equations, Math. Comp., 74, (2005), 521-542.
- R.H. Nochetto and J.-H. Pyo, A finite element Gauge-Uzawa method. Part I : the Navier-Stokes equations, SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 43, (2005), 1043-1068. https://doi.org/10.1137/040609756
- R.H. Nochetto and J.-H. Pyo, A finite element Gauge-Uzawa method. Part II : Boussinesq Equations, Math. Models Methods Appl. Sci., 16, (2006), 1599-1626. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218202506001649
- A. Prohl, Projection and Quasi-Compressibility Methods for Solving the Incompressible Navier- Stokes Equations, B.G.Teubner Stuttgart (1997).
- J.-H. Pyo, Error estimates for the second order semi-discrete stabilized Gauge-Uzawa method for the Navier-Stokes equations, to appear.
- J.-H. Pyo and J. Shen, Normal mode analysis of second-order projection methods for incompressible flows, Discrete Contin. Dyn. Syst. Ser. B, 5, (2005), 817-840. https://doi.org/10.3934/dcdsb.2005.5.817
- J.-H. Pyo and J. Shen, Gauge Uzawa methods for incompressible flows with Variable Density, J. Comput. Phys., 211, (2007), 181-197.
- R. Temam, Sur l'approximation de la solution des equations de Navier-Stokes par la methode des pas fractionnaires. II, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal., 33 (1969), 377-385.