- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A GENERALIZED 4-STRING SOLUTION TANGLE OF DNA-PROTEIN COMPLEXES
- Kim, Soo-Jeong (DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED MATHEMATICAL AND COMPUTATIONAL SCIENCES, UNIVERSITY OF IOWA)
- Received : 2011.04.04
- Accepted : 2011.06.24
- Published : 2011.09.23
An n-string tangle is a three dimensional ball with n strings properly embedded in it. A tangle model of a DNA-protein complex is first introduced by C. Ernst and D. Sumners in 1980's. They assumed the protein bound DNA as strings and the protein as a three dimensional ball. By using a tangle analysis, one can predict the topology of DNA within the complex. S.Kim and I. Darcy developed the biologically reasonable 4-string tangle equations and decided a solution tangle, called R-standard tangle. The author discussed more about the simple solution tangles of the equations and found a generalized R-standard tangle solution.
- A.D. Bates and A. Maxwell, DNA Topology, IRL Press Oxford, 1993.
- W. R. Bauer, F. H. C. Crick, and J. H. White, Supercoiled DNA, Scientific American 243 (1980), 118-133.
- J.H. Conway, An enumaration of knots and links and some of their related properties, Computational Problems in Abstract Algebra (John Leech, ed.) Pergamon Press, Oxford and New York 1969.
- I. K. Darcy, A. Bhutra, J. Chang, N. Druivenga, C. McKinney, R. K. Medikonduri, S. Mills, J. Navarra Madsen, A. Ponnusamy, J. Sweet, and T. Thompson, Coloring the Mu transpososome, BMC Bioinformatics, 7:Art. No. 435 (2006).
- I.K. Darcy, J. Luecke, and M. Vazquez, Tangle analysis of difference topology experiments: Applications to a Mu protein-dna complex, Algebraic and Geometric Topology, 9 (2009), 2247-2309. https://doi.org/10.2140/agt.2009.9.2247
- F.B. Dean, A. Stasiak, T. Koller, and N.R. Cozzarelli, Duplex DNA knots produced by Escherichia Coli topoisomerase I, J. Biol. Chem., 260 (1985), 4795-4983.
- C. Ernst and D.W. Sumners, A calculus for rational tangles: applications to DNA recombination, Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 108 (1990), 489-515. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0305004100069383
- C. Ernst and D. W. Sumners, Solving tangle equations arising in a DNA recombination model, Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 126 (1990), 23-36.
- M. Hirasawa and K. Shimokawa, Dehn surgeries on strongly invertible knots which yield lens spaces, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., 128 (2000) 3445-3451. https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9939-00-05417-4
- S. Kim and I. Darcy, Topological Analysis of DNA-protein complexes, Mathematics of DNA Structure, function and interacctions, The IMA volumes in Mathematics and its applications, Springer Science + Business Media, LLC, New York, 2009
- S. Kim and I. Darcy, A 4-string tangle analysis of DNA-protein complexes based on difference topology, Preprint (2009)
- P. Kronheimer, T. Mrowka, P. Ozsvath, and Z. Szabo, Monopoles and lens space surgeries, Ann. of Math., 165(2) (2007), 457-546. https://doi.org/10.4007/annals.2007.165.457
- B. Lewin, Genes, Oxford University Press, 5th ed., New York, 1994.
- S. Pathania, M. Jayaram, and R. M. Harshey, Path of DNA within the Mu transpososome: transposase interactions bridging two Mu ends and the enhancer trap five DNA supercoils, Cell, 109(4) (2002), 425-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(02)00728-6
- D. Rolfsen, Knots And Links, AMS Chelsea Publishing, Providence, Rhode Island, 1976.
- Y. Saka and M. Vazquez, Tanglesolve: topological analysis of site-specific recombination, Bioinformatics, 18 (2002), 1011-1012. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/18.7.1011
S.J. Spengler, A. Stasiak, and N.R. Cozzarelli, The stereostructure of knots and catenanes produced by phage
$\lambda$integrative recombination : implications for mechanism and DNA structure, Cell, 42 (1985), 325-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(85)80128-8
- D. W. Sumners, C. Ernst, N.R. Cozzarelli, and S.J. Spengler, Mathematical analysis of the mechanisms of DNA recombination using tangles, Quarterly Reviews of Biophysics, 28 (1995).
- Alexandre A. Vetcher, Alexander Y. Lushnikov, Junalyn Navarra-Madsen, Robert G, Scharein, Yuri L. Lyubchenko, Isabel K. Darcy, and Stephen D. Levene, DNA topology and geometry in Flp and Cre recombination, J. Mol. Biol., 357 (2006), 1089-1104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmb.2006.01.037
- Alexander V. Vologodski http://www.biophysics.org/btol/supramol.html♯13 Online Biophysical Chemistry Textbook, ed. V. Bloomfield, 1999
- S.A. Wasserman and N.R. Cozzarelli, Determination of the stereostructure of the product of Tn3 resolvase by a general method, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 82 (1985), 1079-1083. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.82.4.1079
- S.A.Wasserman, J.M. Dungan, and N.R. Cozzarelli, Discovery of a predicted DNA knot substantiates a model for site-specific recombination, Science, 229 (1985), 171-174. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.2990045
- J. Watson and F. Crick, A structure for deoxyribose nucleic acid, Nature, 171, 737-738.