- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Three-Phase PWM-Switched Autotransformer Voltage-Sag Compensator Based on Phase Angle Analysis
- Mansor, Muhamad (Dept. of Electrical Power Engineering, Universiti Tenaga Nasional) ;
- Rahim, Nasrudin Abd. (UM Power Energy Dedicated Advanced Centre (UMPEDAC), University of Malaya)
- Received : 2010.10.14
- Published : 2011.11.20
Many voltage sag compensators have been introduced, including the traditional dynamic voltage restorer (DVR), which requires an energy storage device but is inadequate for compensating deep and long-duration voltage sags. The AC-AC sag compensators introduced next do not require a storage device and they are capable of compensating voltage sags. This type of compensator needs an AC-AC converter to regulate the output voltage. Presented in this paper is a three-phase PWM-switched autotransformer voltage sag compensator based on an AC-AC converter that uses a proposed detection technique and PWM voltage control as a controller. Its effectiveness and capability in instantly detecting and compensating voltage sags were verified via MATLAB/Simulink simulations and further investigated through a laboratory prototype developed with a TMS320F2812 DSP as the main controller.
- X. Xiao, Analysis and Control of Power Quality, Beijing: Cina Electronic Power Press, pp. 124-128, 2006.
- Y.-S. Lee, H.-C. So, M. Chow, "Design of ac voltage compensators," IPEMC, pp. 2587-2590, 2009.
- S. M. Deckmann and A. A. Ferreira, "About voltage sags and swell analysis," IEEE International conference on harmonics and quality of power, pp. 144-148, 2002.
- L. Guasch, F. Corcoles, and J. Pedra, "Effects of symmetrical and unsymmetrical voltage sags on induction machines," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 774-782, Apr. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.825258
- J. Pedra, L. Sa¨ınz, F. Corcoles, and L. Guasch, "Symmetrical and unsymmetrical voltage sag effects on three-phase transformers," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 1683-1691, Apr. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.833910
- S. Subramaniam, M. K. Mishra, "Interphase ac-ac topology for voltage sag supporter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 514- 518, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2027601
- C. Hui-Yung, J. Hurng-Liahug, and H. Chieng-Lien, "Transient response of a peak voltage detector for sinuaoidal signals," IEEE Trans. On Industrial Electronics, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 74-79, Feb. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.121914
- K. Ding, K. W. E. Cheng, X. D. Xue, and B. P. Divakar, "A novel detection method for voltage sags," 2nd International Conference on Power Electronics Systems and Application, pp. 250-288, 2006.
- A. A. Koolaiyan, A. Sheikhoeslami, and R. A. Kordkheili, "A voltage sag compensation utilizing autotransformer switched by hysteresis voltage control," 5th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Dhaka Bangladesh, pp. 545- 550, 2008.
- D. M. Lee, T. G. Habetler, R. G. Harley, T. L. Keister, J. R. Rostron, "A voltage sag supporter utilizing a pwm-switched autotransformer," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 626-635, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.890004
- B. K. Bose, Power Electronics and Variable Frequency Drives, Wiley, John & Sons, 1996.
- M. A. M. Radzi and N. A. Rahim, "Neural network and bandless hysteresis approach to control switched capacitor active power filter for reduction of harmonics," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 5, pp. 1477-1484, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2013750