- Volume 12 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Influence of Physical Function and Social Support on Depressive Symptom in the Community Elderly Using the Structural Equation Model
구조방정식모형을 이용한 노인들의 신체적 기능과 사회적지지가 우울수준에 미치는 영향 분석
- Shin, Eun-Sook (Department of Health Administration, Joongbu University) ;
- Kwon, In-Sun (Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Chungnam National University School of Medicine and Research Institute for Medical Sciences) ;
- Cho, Young-Chae (Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Chungnam National University School of Medicine and Research Institute for Medical Sciences)
- Received : 2011.10.04
- Accepted : 2011.11.10
- Published : 2011.11.30
This study was performed to determine the levels of depressive symptoms among community elderlies and to reveal its related factors, specifically aimed at revealing factors such as social support, family support and physical function. The interviews were performed, during the period from April 1st, to June 30th, 2010, to 995 elderlies in Daejeon city. As a results, social support, family support, ADL and IADL was found to be in a positive correlation with depressive symptoms. With the analysis of covariance structure, social support was more influential on the level of depressive symptom than family support and physical function. It was found to have the inter-relational effects that the greater the social support, family support and physical function, the lower the level of depressive symptoms.
본 연구는 노인들의 신체적 기능, 사회적 지지, 가족지지 및 우울수준을 실태를 알아보고 이들 상호간의 관련성을 파악하며, 공분산구조분석을 통하여 신체적 기능, 사회적지지 및 가족지지가 우울수준에 미치는 영향을 파악하고자 하였다. 조사대상은 대전광역시에 거주하고 있는 노인 995명이었으며, 조사는 2010년 4월 1일부터 6월 30일까지의 기간 동안에 표준화된 무기명식 면접조사용 설문지를 사용하여 면접조사 하였다. 연구결과 사회적지지, 가족지지 및 신체적 기능(ADL, IADL)이 높을수록 우울수준은 낮은 경향을 보였다. 또한 공분산 구조분석 결과, 사회적 지지는 가족지지나 신체적 기능보다 우울수준에 더 큰 영향을 미쳤으며, 사회적지지, 가족지지 및 신체적 기능이 높을수록 우울수준을 감소시키는 효과가 있는 것으로 나타났다.
- Choe YA. A Survey on the Depression, Self-esteem and Health Behavior of the Aged. Korean Society of Welfare for the Aged, 21:27-47, 2003.
- Kendler K, Karkowski LM, Prescott CA. Causal relationship between stressful life events and the onset of major depression. Am J Psych, 156: 837-842, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.156.6.837
- Yang F, Silverstein M, Chang M. Multigenerational household. Gerontologist 267-269, 2001.
- Nourhashemi F, Andrieu S, Gillette- Guyonnet S, Vellas B, Albarede J, Grandjean H. Instrumental activities of daily living as a potential marker of frailty. J Gerontol, 56(7): M448-450, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/56.7.M448
- Chi I. Chou K. Social support and depression among elderly Chinese people in Hong Kong. The International J aging & human development, 52(3): 231-235, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2190/V5K8-CNMG-G2UP-37QV
- Kim YS, Lee GZ. A Study on Perceived Family Support and Mental Health . J Korean Acd Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, 9(1): 79-92, 2000.
- Bowling A. Changes in life satisfaction over a two and a half year period among very elderly people living in London. Soc Sci Med, 36: 641-655, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(93)90061-8
- Park JH. Assessment of functional status in the elderly. Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 34(3): 636-641, 1995.
- Hybels C, Blazer D, Pieper C. Toward a threshold for sub threshold depression: An analysis of correlates of depression by severity of symptoms using data from an elderly community sample. Gerontologist, 41(3): 357-359, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/41.3.357
- Gazmararian J, Baker D, Parker R, Blazer D. A multivariate analysis of factors associated with depression. Arch Intern Med, 160(21): 7-3311, 2000.
- Wilkinson M. Power and identified patient. Perspective in Psychiatric Care, 17(6): 248-253, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6163.1979.tb00985.x
- Lee SS, Je MS, Choi YH. The prevalence of depression and its related factors of the elderly in rural area of Koje City. Korean Public Health Association, 31(1): 97-104, 2005.
- Choi HK. Depression in low income grandmothers rsing grandchildren and its related factors. Korean Gerontological Society, 22(3): 207-222, 2002.
- Hur JS, Yoo SH. Determinants of depression among elderly persons. Mental Health & Social Work, 13: 7-35, 2002.
- Yang S, Kim NC. Depression of the elderly in a korean urban area by BDI-II . J Korean Acd Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, 10(4): 463-472, 2001.
- Ko HN, Lee SS, Han HJ. The prevalence of depression and its related factors of the elderly in rural area. J Korean Acd Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, 10(4): 645-655, 2001.
- Katz S. Studies of illness in the aged : the Index of ADL: A standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function. Am J Med Assoc, 185: 914-919, 1963. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1963.03060120024016
- Pfeiffer E. Multidimensional functional assessment, the OARS methodology: A manual. Durham, North Carolina: Duke University, Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, 134, 1975.
- Weissman MM, Locke BZ. Comparison of a self-report symptom rating scale (CES-D) with standardized depression rating scales in psychiatric populations. Am J Epidemiol, 102: 430-431, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a112183
- Cutrona CE, Russell D. The provision of social relationships and adaption to stress. In WH Jones & D Perlman (Eds), Greenwich, CI:JAI Press, Advances in personal relationship, 1: 37-67, 1987.
- Sugisawa H. Difference in impact of social support on morale and medical utilization between elderly with low activity of daily living and elderly with high activity of daily living. Jpn J Pub Health, 40(3): 171-180, 1993.
- Fukuda H, Kida K, Kimura Y, Nishizawa Y, Kanazawa Y, Satio K, Mita R, Takusari Y. Well-being and depression in residents of a provincial city 65 years old or older. Jpn J Pub Health, 49(2): 97-105, 2002.
- Satio E, Sagawa Y, Kanagawa K. Social support as a predictor of health status among older adults living alone in Japan. Nursing and Health Sciences, 7; 29-36, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2005.00220.x
- Gomez GE, Gomez EA. Depression in the elderly. J Psych Nur, 31(5): 28-33, 1991.
- Kim OS, Baik SH. The relationships among loneliness, social support, and family function in elderly korean. J Korean Acad Nurs, 33(3): 425-432, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.425
- Jang IS. The leisure type, helath status, self-esteem, and social support of the elderly living alone. J korea Academy of Public Health Norsing, 20(2): 130-140, 2006
- Shim MS. A study on self-esteem, social support and health promoting behavior of the low income elderly. J Korean Gerontological Nursing, 7(1): 63-70, 2005.
- Choi EY, Kim JY, Kim HS. The correlational study on health-promoting behavior, life satisfaction and family support of elderly people. J Korean Gerontological Nursing, 5(1): 7-16, 2003.
- Kim DH. A study on the correlation among family support, self-esteem and depression in elderly. Korean Society of Welfare for the Aged, 13(1):113-144, 2001.
- Sung KW. Comparison of ADL and satisfaction state of the elderly in institution and home. Korean Gerontological Society, 19(1):105-117, 1999.
- Kim JH, Jung YM. A study on health status and quality of life in living alone elderly. J Korean Gerontological Nursing, 4(1): 16-26, 2002.
- Eom TW. The effects of self-efficacy and social support in the relationship between economic stress and depression of the indigent population. Mental Health & Social Work, 28(4): 36-66, 2008.
- Park MJ. Buffering effects of strengths and social support between stress and depression of the elderly women. Korean J Woman Psychology 12(2): 197-211, 2007.
- Effects of Chronic Pain and Social support on Depression and Suicide in the Elderly vol.13, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.445