- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Fine-grained Localization Scheme Using A Mobile Beacon Node for Wireless Sensor Networks
- Liu, Kezhong (Department of Traffic Information Engineering and Control, Wuhan University of Technology) ;
- Xiong, Ji (Department of Traffic Information Engineering and Control, Wuhan University of Technology)
- Received : 2010.02.05
- Accepted : 2010.05.28
- Published : 2010.06.30
In this paper, we present a fine-grained localization algorithm for wireless sensor networks using a mobile beacon node. The algorithm is based on distance measurement using RSSI. The beacon node is equipped with a GPS sender and RF (radio frequency) transmitter. Each stationary sensor node is equipped with a RF. The beacon node periodically broadcasts its location information, and stationary sensor nodes perceive their positions as beacon points. A sensor node's location is computed by measuring the distance to the beacon point using RSSI. Our proposed localization scheme is evaluated using OPNET 8.1 and compared with Ssu's and Yu's localization schemes. The results show that our localization scheme outperforms the other two schemes in terms of energy efficiency (overhead) and accuracy.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation
- Baoli Zhang and Fengqi Yu, “An Energy Efficient Localization Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks Using a Mobile Anchor Node”, International Conference on Information and Automation, June, 2008, pp.215-216. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICINFA.2008.4607999
- G.Yu, F.Yu and L. Feng, “A Three Dimensional Localization Algorithm Using a Mobile Anchor Node under Wireless Channel”, International Joint Conference on Neural Networks(IJCNN), 2008, pp.477-483. https://doi.org/10.1109/IJCNN.2008.4633835
- T.V Srinath, “Localization in Resource Constrained Sensor Networks Using A Mobile Beacon with In-ranging” Wireless and Optical Communications Networks, 2006 IFIP International Conference, April, 2006, pp.5. https://doi.org/10.1109/WOCN.2006.1666591
- K.-F. Ssu, C.-H. Ou and H. C. Jiau, “Localization with mobile anchor points in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology. Taiwan, Vol.54, No.3, May, 2005, pp.1187-1197. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2005.844642
- Nissanka B.Priyantha, Anit Chakraborty, and Hari Balakrishnan, “The Cricket Location-Support System”, Proceedings of 6th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom 2000), August, 2000, pp.32-43.
- J. Hightower,G. Boriello, and R.Want, “SpotON: An indoor 3D location sensing technology based on RF signal strength,” Univ. of Washington, Tech. Rep. UW CSE 00-02-02, Feb., 2000.
- P. Bahl and V. N. Padmanabhan, “RADAR: an in-building RF-based userlocation and tracking system,” in Proc. IEEE Joint Conf. IEEE Computer Communications Societies (INFOCOM), Tel Aviv, Israel, Mar., 2000, pp.775-784. https://doi.org/10.1109/INFCOM.2000.832252
- P. Bergamo and G. Mazzini, “Localization in sensor networks with fading and mobility,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Personal, Indoor Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), Lisbon, Portugal, Sep., 2002, pp.750-754.
- L. Cong and W. Zhuang, “Hybrid TDOA/AOA mobile user location for wideband CDMA cellular systems,” IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol.1, Jul., 2002, pp.439-447. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2002.800542
- M. McGuire, K. N. Plataniotis, and A. N. Venetsanopoulos, “Location of mobile terminals using time measurements and survey points,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol.52, Jul., 2003 , pp.999-1011.
- N. Bulusu, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, “GPS-less low cost outdoorlocalization for very small devices”, IEEE Personal Commun., Vol.7, Oct., 2000, pp.28-34. https://doi.org/10.1109/98.878533
- B. Liang and Z. Haas. Predictive distance-based mobility management for PCS networks. In Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM), March, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/INFCOM.1999.752157
- D. Johnson and D. Maltz. Dynamic source routing in ad hoc wireless networks. In T. Imelinsky and H.Korth, editors, Mobile Computing, pages 153-181. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
- X. Hong, M. Gerla, G. Pei, and C. Chiang. A group mobility model for ad hoc wireless networks. In Proceedings of the ACM International Workshop on Modeling and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM), August, 1999.
- E. Royer, P.M. Melliar-Smith, and L. Moser. An analysis of the optimum node density for ad hoc mobile networks. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICC.2001.937360
- CHEN Juan, LI Chang-geng, NING Xin-xian. Node Localization of Wireless Sensor Networks Based on Mobile Beacon.[J]. Chinese Journal of Sensors and Actuators. 2009, 22(1): 123-125.(in Chinese).
- M.L. Sichitiu and V. Ramadurai, “Localization of wireless sensor networks with a mobile beacon”, Center for Advances Computing Communications, North Carolina State Univ. Tech. Rep. TR-03/06. Jul., 2003.
- G.L. Sun and W. Guo, “Comparison of distributed localization algorithms for sensor network with a mobile beacon”, in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Networking, Sensing Control (ICNSC), Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C. Mar., 2004, pp.36-540. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICNSC.2004.1297496
- Estrin D.Wireless Sensor Networks,Tutorial Part IV:Sensor Network Protocols.In Proceedings of The Eighth Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking(MOBICOM),2002.
- α -Overlapping area coverage for clustered directional sensor networks vol.109, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2017.05.011
- Planning the obstacle-avoidance trajectory of mobile anchor in 3D sensor networks vol.58, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11432-015-5354-2
- Lifetime maximization considering target coverage and connectivity in directional image/video sensor networks vol.65, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-011-0646-9
- A Survey on Mobile Anchor Node Assisted Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks vol.18, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/COMST.2016.2544751
- An energy-efficient self-deployment with the centroid-directed virtual force in mobile sensor networks vol.88, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1177/0037549711411314
- Obstacle-avoidance path planning of a mobile Beacon for localisation vol.3, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-wss.2011.0128
- Path planning using a mobile anchor node based on trilateration in wireless sensor networks vol.13, pp.14, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1002/wcm.1192
- Tradeoff Between Sensing Quality and Network Lifetime for Heterogeneous Target Coverage Using Directional Sensor Nodes vol.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2718548
- Location of Things (LoT): A Review and Taxonomy of Sensors Localization in IoT Infrastructure vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/COMST.2018.2798591