- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance Index-Based Evaluation of Quadruped RoboticWalking Configuration
- Kim, Byoung-Ho (Bio-Mimetic Control & Robotics Lab., Dept. of Mechatronics Eng., Kyungsung Univ.)
- Received : 2010.09.10
- Accepted : 2010.11.26
- Published : 2010.12.25
This paper presents a performance index-based evaluation for a better quadruped robotic walking configuration. For this purpose, we propose a balance-based performance index that enables to evaluate the walk configuration of quadruped robots in terms of balance. In order to show the effectiveness the proposed performance index, we consider some types of walking configurations for a quadruped robotic walking and analyze the trend of the proposed performance index in those quadrupedal walking. Through the simulation study, it is shown that an effective walk configuration for a quadrupedal walking can be planned by adopting the proposed performance index.
Supported by : Kyungsung University Research
- R. Siegwart and I.R. Nourbakhsh, Introduction to autonomous mobile robots, The MIT Press,2004.
- Y. Hada, H. Gakuhari, K. Takase, and E.I. Hemeldan, “Delivery service robot using distributed acquisition, actuators and inteliigence,” in Proc.of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2004,pp. 2997-3002.
- J. Estremera and P.G. deSantos, “Generating continuous free crab gaits for quadruped robots on irregular terrain,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, vol.21,no. 6, 2005,pp.1067-1076.
- S. Nakajima, E. Nakano,and T. Takahashi,“Motion control technique for practical use of a leg-wheel robot on unknown outdoor rough terrains,” in Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. onIntelligent Robots and Systems, 2004,pp.1353-1358.
- M. Takahashi, K. Yoneda, and S. Hirose, “Rough terrain locomotion of aleg-wheel hybrid quadruped robot,” in Proc.of IEEE/RSJ Int.Conf.on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2006,pp.1090-1095.
- U. Saranli, M. Buehler, and D.E. Koditschek, “RHex: a simple and highly mobile hexapod robot,” Int. Jour. of Robotics Research, vol.20,no.7,2001,pp.616-631. https://doi.org/10.1177/02783640122067570
- J.G. Cham, S.A. Bailey, J.E. Clark, R.J. Full, and M.R. Cutkosky, “Fast and robust: hexapedal robots via shape deposition manufacturing,” Int. Jour. of Robotics Research, vol.21,no.10-11,2002,pp. 869-882.
- R.B. Mcghee and A.A. Frank, “On the stability properties of quadruped creeping gaits,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol.3,no.1-2.1968,pp.331-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-5564(68)90090-4
- D.A. Messuri and C.A. Klein, “Automatic body regulation for maintaining stability of a legged vehicle during rough-terrain locomotion,” IEEE Jour.on Robotics and Automation, vol.RA-1,no.3,pp.132-141, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/JRA.1985.1087012
- E. Garcia and P. Gonzalez de Santos, “An improved energy stability margin for walking machines subject to dynamic effects,” Robotica, vol.23,no.1,pp.13-20, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0263574704000487
- M. Fujita and H. Kitano, “Development of anautonomous quadruped robot for robot entertainment,” Autonomous Robots, vol.5,1998,pp.7-18. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008856824126
- G.S. Hornby, S. Takamura, T. Yamamoto,and M. Fujita,“ Autonomous evolution of dynamic gaits with two quadruped robots,” IEEE Transactionson Robotics, vol.21,no.3,2005,pp.402-410. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRO.2004.839222
- M. Raibert, K. Blankespoor, G. Nelson, R. Playter, and the BigDog Team,“BigDog,the rough-terrain quadruped robot,” in Proc. of the17th World CongressThe Int. Federation of Automatic Control, 2008, pp.10822-10825.
- http://www.bostondynamics.com/, Boston Dynamics company, USA.
- K. Arikawa and S. Hirose, “Development of quadruped walking robot TITAN-VIII,” in Proc.of IEEE/RSJ Int.Conf.on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 1996,pp.208-214.
- S. Cordes, K. Berns,and I.Leppanen, “Sensor components of the six-legged walking machine LAURON II,” in Proc.of IEEE Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, 1997, pp.71-76.
- P.-C. Lin, H. Komsuoglu, and D.E.Koditschek,“A leg configuration measurement system for full-body pose estimates in hexapod robot,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, vol.21,no.3,2005,pp.411-422. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRO.2004.840898
- R.B. Mcghee, Vehicular legged locomotion, The JAI Press, New York 1985.
- S.M. Song and K.J. Waldron, Machines that walk: the adaptive suspension vehicle, The MITPress, 1989.
- B.-H. Kim,“Centroid-based analysis of quadruped-robot walking balance,” in Proc. of Int.Conf.on Advanced Robotics, FD1:Humanoid and Walking Robots Session, Munich,Germany, June22-26,2009.