- Volume 46 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Measurement of vertical migration speed of Sound Scattering Layer using an bottom mooring type Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler
해저설치형 음향도플러유향유속계를 이용한 음향산란층의 연직이동속도 측정
- Jo, Hyeon-Jeong (Department of Marine Police and Technology, Gangwon Provincial Collage) ;
- Lee, Kyoung-Hoon (Fisheries Engineering System Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute)
- Received : 2010.10.11
- Accepted : 2010.11.09
- Published : 2010.11.30
This study shows that the vertical migration speed of sound scattering layers (SSLs), which is distributed in near Funka Bay, were measured by 3D velocity components acquired from a bottom moorng ADCP. While the bottom mooring type has a problem to measure the velocity vectors of sound scattering layer distributed near to surface, both the continuous vertical migration patterns and variability of backscatterers were routinely investigated as well. In addition, the velocity vectors were compared with the vertical migration velocity estimated from echograms of Mean Volume Backscattering Strength, and estimated to produce observational bias due to SSLs which is composed of backscatterers such as euphausiids, nekton, and fishes have swimming ability.
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Ashjian, C.J., S.L. Smith, C.N. Flagg and C. Wilson, 1998. Patterns and occurrence of diel vertical migration of zooplankton biomass in the Mid-Atalantic Bight described by an acoustic Doppler current profiler. Continental Shelf Research, 18, 831-858. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-4343(98)00019-3
- Burrows, M.T. and G. Tarling, 2004. Effects of density dependence on diel vertical migration of populations of northern krill: a genetic algorithm model. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 277, 209-220. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps277209
- Deines, K.L., 1999. Backscatter Estimation Using Broadband Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler. Proceeding of the IEEE Sixth Working Conference on Current Measurement, San Diego USA, pp. 5.
- De Robertis, A. and J.S. Jaffe, 2000. Size-dependent visual predation risk and the timing of vertical migration in zooplankton. Limnology and Oceanography, 45 (8), 1838-1844. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2000.45.8.1838
- Gliwicz, M.Z., 1986. Predation and the evolution of vertical migration in zooplankton. Nature, 320 (24), 746-748. https://doi.org/10.1038/320746a0
- Haney, J.F., 1988. Diel patterns of zooplankton behavior. Bulletin of marine science, 43 (3), 583-603.
- Heywood, K.J., 1996. Diel vertical migration of zooplankton in the Northeast Atlantic. Journal of Plankton Research, 18 (2), 163-184. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/18.2.163
- Holzman, R. and A. Genin, 2003. Zooplankton by a nocturnal coral-reef fish: Effects of light, flow, and prey density. Limnology and Oceanography, 48 (4), 1367-1375. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2003.48.4.1367
- Luo, J., P.B. Ortner, D. Forcucci and S.R. Cummings, 2000. Diel vertical migration of zooplankton and mesopelagic fish in the Arabian Sea. Deep Sea Res., 47, 1451-1473. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0645(99)00150-2
- Plueddemann, A. and R. Pinkel, 1989. Characterization of the patterns of diel migration using a Doppler sonar. Deep Sea Res., 36 (4), 509-530. https://doi.org/10.1016/0198-0149(89)90003-4
- Pinot, J.M. and J. Jansa, 2001. Time variability of acoustic backscatter from zooplankton in the Ibiza Channel (western Mediterranean). Deep Sea Res., 48, 1651-1670. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0637(00)00095-9
- RD Instruments, 1996. Field service technical paper 001 (FST-001) Broadband ADCP advanced principles of operation 01 October 1996b. RD Instruments, San Diego, California USA, pp. 15.
- Tarling, G.A., J.B.L. Matthews, P. David, O. Guerin and F. Buchholz, 2001. The swarm dynamics of northern krill (Meganyctiphanes norvegica) and pteropods (Cavolinia inflexa) during vertical migration in the Ligurian Sea observed by an acoustic Doppler current profiler. Deep Sea Res. 48, 1671-1686. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0637(00)00105-9
- Wilson, C.D. and E. Firing, 1992. Sunrise swimmers bias acoustic Doppler current profiles. Deep Sea Res., 39 (5), 885-892. https://doi.org/10.1016/0198-0149(92)90127-F
- Backscattering strength and vertical distribution of dominant fishes in inland waters by hydroacoustics vol.50, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2014.50.4.476