- Volume 9 Issue 1
Perceived Family Support and Quality of Life Patients with Cancer
암 환자가 지각한 가족지지와 삶의 질
- Kim, Kyung-Hae (Department of Nursing, Kimcheon Science College) ;
- Chung, Bok-Yae (School of Nursing, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Duck (Department of Nursing, Daegu Health College) ;
- Byun, Hye-Sun (Division of Nursing, Masan College)
- Received : 2009.01.20
- Accepted : 2009.02.16
- Published : 2009.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate perceived family support and quality of life in patients with cancer. Method: Data were collected from 83 cancer patients in the 3 cities of Korea. Family support was measured using the Tae's Family Support Scale and quality of life was measured using Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-General (FACT-G). Results: The mean scores of family support and quality of life were 30.48 and 53.04 respectively. Family support was significantly different according to marital status, education level, income, living together, helper, type of treatment, and weight change. Quality of life was significantly different according to the purpose of treatment, weight change, performance status, exercise, and sleep. There was a positive correlation between family support and quality of life (r=0.499, p<0.000). Conclusion: The study results underscore the importance of family support in improving the quality of life of patients with cancer.
- Ferrell B, Cullinane CA, Ervine K, Melancon C, Uman GC, Juarez G. Perspectives on the impact of ovarian cancer: women's views of quality of life. Oncol Nurs Forum 2005;32:1143-9. https://doi.org/10.1188/05.ONF.1143-1149
- Lee EH. Development and psychometric evaluation of a quality of life scale for korean patients with cancer(C-QOL). J Korean Acad Nurs 2007;37:324-33. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.3.324
- So HS, Lee WH, Lee EH, Chung BY, Hur HK, Kang ES. Validation of quality of life index-cancer among Korean patients with cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2004;34:693-701. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.693
- Birnbacher D. Quality of life--evaluation or description? Ethical Theory Moral Pract 1999;2:25-36. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026409110084
- Kim H, Yoo HJ, Kim YJ, Han OS, Lee KH, Lee JH, et al. Development and validation of Korean functional assessment cancer therapy-general (FACT-G). J Korean Psychol Assoc 2003;22:215-29.
- Wildes KA, Miller AR, de Majors SS, Ramirez AG. The religiosity/spirituality of latina breast cancer survivors and influence on health-related quality of life. Psychooncology. In press 2008.
- Park GJ, Choi JS. Body image and quality of life in women with mastectomy. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2008;8:86-92.
- Suh YO. Predictors of quality of life in women with breast cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2007;37:459-66. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.4.459
- Jo KW, Kim MJ. A study on the quality of life, family support, and hope of hospitalized and home care cancer patients. J Korean Acad Nurs 1997;27:353-63.
- Juarez G, Ferrell B, Uman G, Podnos Y, Wagman LD. Distress and quality of life concerns of family caregivers of patients undergoing palliative surgery. Cancer Nurs 2008;31:2-10. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000305682.13766.c2
- Hwang BS. The effect of home health care on role behavior, family support, and health state in elderly with hypertensive [dissertation]. Daegu: The KyungpooK National University of Korea;1991.
- Cobb S. Presidential Address-1976. Social support as a moderator as life stress. Psychosom Med 1976;38:300-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197609000-00003
- Ju MJ, Sohn SK. Relationship between perceived family support and quality of life in hospitalized patients with terminal cancer. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2008;8:32-9.
- Kim KS. A study on the relationship between perceived family support and quality of life of cancer patients [dissertation]. Daejeon:The Daejeon University of Korea;2003.
- Kim YS. Relationship between perceived family support and hopelessness of the woman cancer patients [dissertation]. Busan:The Kosin University of Korea;2003.
- Tae YS, Kang ES, Lee MH, Park GJ. The relationship among percieved social support, hope, and quality of life of cancer patients. J Kosin Nursing Acad 2002;1:25-40.
- Park YK. Functional status, depression, and family support in head and neck cancer patients. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2005;2:31-9.
- Prince-Paul M. Relationships among communicative acts, social well-being, and spiritual well-being on the quality of life at the end of life in patients with cancer enrolled in hospice. J Palliat Med 2008;11:20-5. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2007.0119
- Harden J, Northouse L, Cimprich B, Pohl JM, Liang J, Kershaw T. The influence of developmental life stage on quality of life in survivors of prostate cancer and their partners. J Cancer Surviv 2008;2:84-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-008-0048-z
- Ashing-Giwa KT, Lim JW. Examining the impact of socioeconomic status and socioecologic stress on physical and mental health quality of life among breast cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum 2009;36:79-88. https://doi.org/10.1188/09.ONF.79-88
- Youn SJ, Tae YS. Correlation between "anger-in" and quality of life in female cancer patients. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2004;4:16-25.
- Chang HK. Relationship among self-esteem, family support, and quality of life in patients with cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:The Korea University of Korea;1998.
- Hur HK, Kim DR, Kim DH. The relationships of treatment side effects, family support, and quality of life in patient with cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003;33:71-8. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.1.71
- Sammarco A, Konecny LM. Quality of life, social support, and uncertainty among Latina breast cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum 2008;35:844-9. https://doi.org/10.1188/08.ONF.844-849
- Sammarco A. Quality of life among older survivors of breast cancer. Cancer Nurs 2008;26:431-8.
- Kim AS, Lee ES, Kim SH. Effects of telephone intervention on supportive nursing on self-care practices and quality of life for gynecological cancer patients under chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Nurs 2007;37:744-53. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.744