- Volume 9 Issue 2
Purpose: This study was to compare the differences in self-care behaviors between the group with fighting spirit and the group with helplessness. Methods: This study utilized a cross-sectional descriptive design. A total of 97 ambulatory cancer patients completed the Mental Adjustment to Cancer (MAC) scale by Watson et al. (1988) and Self Care Behaviors Scale by Oh et al. (1997). The data was analysed using frequency, percentage, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation and stepwise multiple regression. Results: Fighting spirit group were found to conduct self-care behaviors more compared to the helplessness group (t=3.346, p<.0001). The score of the self-care behaviors in fighting spirit group was 4.42 out of a total score of 7 and that of helplessness group was 3.85. There was a significant difference (p<.0001) in self-care behaviors according to the level of faith and performance status. Fighting spirit (
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 삼육대학교
- Korea National Statistical Office. Annual report on the cause of death statistics (Based on vital registration). Daejeon: Korea National Statistical Office;2007.
- Orem DE. Nursing concepts of practice (4th ed.). St. Louis:Mosby-Year Book Inc.;1991.
- Kim BR, Kim YH, Kim JS, Jeong IS, Kim JS. A study to the coping patterns of cancer patients. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003;33:321-30. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.321
- Rawl SM, Given BA, Given CW, Champion VL, Kozachik SL, Barton D, et al. Intervention to improve psychological functioning for newly diagnosed patients with cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2002;29:967-75. https://doi.org/10.1188/02.ONF.967-975
- Greer S. Adjuvant psychological therapy for cancer patients. Palliat Med 1997;11:240-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/026921639701100309
- Greer S, Waston M. Mental adjustment to cancer: its measurement and prognostic importance. Cancer Surv 1987;6:439-53.
- Greer S, Moorey S, Watson M. Patients' adjustment to cancer: the mental adjustment to cancer (MAC) scale vs clinical ratings. J Psychosom Res 1989;33:373-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(89)90027-5
- Carver CS, Scheier MF, Weintraub JK. Assessing coping strategies: a theoretically based approach. J Personal Soc Psychol 1989;56:267-83. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1247
- Khrone HW. Individual differences in coping. In:Zeidner M, Endler NS, editors. Handbook of coping: theory, research, applications. New York:John Wiley & Sons;1996. p. 381-409.
- Akechi T, Okamaura H, Yamawaki S, Uchitomi Y. Predictors of patients' mental adjustment to cancer: patient characteristics and social support. Br J Cancer 1998;77:2281-385. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1998.379
- Grassi L, Travado L. The role of psychosocial oncology in cancer care. In:Coleman MP, Alexe D, Albreht T, Mckee M, editors. Responding to the challenge of cancer in Europe. Republic of Slovenia:Tiskarna Radovljica;2008. p. 219-29.
- Derogatis LR, Melisarates N. Psychologic coping mechanism and survival time in metastatic breast cancer. JAMA 1979;242:1504-8. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1979.03300140020016
- Greer S, Morris T, Pettingale K. Psychological responses to breast cancer: effect on outcome. Lancet 1979;8146:786-7.
- Dodd MJ. Measuring informational intervention for chemotherapy knowledge and self-care behavior. Res Nurs Health 1984;7:43-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770070108
- Kam SH, Lee HJ, Kim MH, Shin JS. The effects of self-efficacy promoting program on self-efficacy, self-care, and anxiety of cancer patients. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2003;15:660-9.
- Oh PJ, Lee EO, Tae YS, Um DC. Effects of a program to promote self-efficacy and hope on the self-care behaviors and the quality of life in patients with leukemia. J Korean Acad Nurs 1997;27:627-38.
- Knobf MT, Sun Y. A longitudinal study of symptoms and selfcare activities in women treated with primary radiotherapy for breast cancer. Cancer Nurs 2005;28:201-8.
- Williams PD, Piamjaritakul U, Cucey K, Badura J, Boltz KD, Olverding K, et al. Cancer treatment, symptom monitoring, and self-care in adults. Cancer Nurs 2006;29:347-55. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200609000-00001
- Watson M, Greer S, Young J, Inayat Q, Burgess C, Robertson B. Development of a questionnaire measure of adjustment to cancer: the MAC scale. Psychol Med 1988;18:203-9. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700002026
- Watson M, Law M, Santos MD, Greer S, Baruch J, Bliss J. The mini-MAC: further development of the mental adjustment to cancer scale. J Psychosoc Oncol 1994;12:33-46. https://doi.org/10.1300/J077V12N03_03
- Kim CJ, Hur HK, Kang DH, Kim BH. The effects of psychosocial interventions to improve stress and coping in patients with breast cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2006;36:169-78. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.1.169
- Tae YS. Correlation between self-care agency and social support in cancer patients. J Gospel Nursing Junior College 1989;6:17-34.
- Jung Y. The relationship between self-care agency and quality of life of cancer patients. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 1993;5:188-201.
- Carr EW, Morris T. Spirituality and patients with advanced cancer: a social work response. J Psychosoc Oncol 1996;14:71-81. https://doi.org/10.1300/J077v14n01_04
- Oh PJ. Predictors of fighting spirit and helplessness/hopelessnessin people with cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2008;38:270-7. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.270
- Burgess C, Morris T, Pettingale KW. Psychological response to cancer diagnosis: evidence for coping styles. J Psychosomat Res 1988;32:263-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(88)90067-0
- Watson M, Greer S, Rowden L, Gorman C, Robertson B, Bliss JM, et al. Relationships between emotional control, adjustment to cancer and depression and anxiety in breast cancer parients. Psychol Med 1991;21:51-7. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291700014641
- Oh PJ. Correlation between mental adjustment to cancer and anxiety. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2009;9:23-30.
- Chun SS, Park JS. Social science research. Seoul:Asia media research 2008;301-2.