- Volume 9 Issue 1
The Effects of Dental Hygiene Students' Self-efficacy and Smoking Knowledge on Their Perception on Guidance for Antismoking
치위생과 학생들의 자기효능감과 흡연지식이 금연지도 인식도에 미치는 영향
- Ji, Min-Gyeong (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Jeonbuk Science College)
- 지민경 (전북과학대학 치위생과)
- Received : 2008.10.16
- Accepted : 2009.03.07
- Published : 2009.03.30
The present study purposed to survey dental hygiene students who will play important roles in guidance and to utilize the data as basic information for setting the direction of dental hygienists' efficient guidance for antismoking and developing antismoking education programs. For this purpose, a survey was conducted with 400 students at the Department of Dental Hygiene in Daejeon, Jollabuk-do and Jollanam-do during the period from May 19 to June 14 in 2008, and drew conclusions as follows: As to correlations among self-efficacy, smoking knowledge, and perception on guidance for antismoking, positive correlation was observed between self-efficacy and smoking knowledge (r=0.102), between self-efficacy and perception on guidance for antismoking (r=0.272), and between smoking knowledge and perception on guidance for antismoking (r=0.352). As to factors affecting perception on guidance for antismoking, the effect was high in order of perception on smoking, smoking knowledge, and self-efficacy. That is, perception on guidance for antismoking was more positive in those who thought that smoking must not be allowed, those with high smoking knowledge, and those with high self-efficacy. For dental hygienists' clinical activities for efficient prevention of smoking and guidance for antismoking, it is necessary to develop curriculums containing various practical contents.
저자는 앞으로 진료실 내 금연지도 활동과 교육에 중요한 역할을 할 치위생과 학생들을 대상으로 자기효능감, 흡연지식, 금연지도 인식도를 조사하여, 치과위생사의 효율적인 금연지도활동을 위한 방향 모색과 교육프로그램을 개발하기 위한 기초자료로 활용하고자 2008년 5월 19일부터 6월 14일까지 대전, 전북, 전남 지역의 치위생과에 재학생 400명을 조사하여 다음과 같은 결론을 얻었다. 1. 일반적 특성에 따른 자기효능감, 흡연지식, 금연지도 인식도를 살펴보면, 학년별 자기효능감에서 3학년 48.64점(p = 0.000), 흡연인식별 흡연지식 및 금연지도 인식도에서는 피워서는 안 된다고 생각하는 군이 각 51.99점(p = 0.000), 62.40점(p = 0.000)으로 높게 나타나 통계적인 유의한 차이가 있었다. 2. 교육관련 의식에 따른 자기효능감, 흡연지식, 금연지도 인식도를 살펴보면, 교육경험별 흡연지식 및 금연지도 인식도에서 교육경험 군이 각 50.60점(p = 0.044), 59.81점(p = 0.004)으로 높게 나타났고, 참석한다는 군도 61.30점으로 금연지도 인식이 높게 나타났다(p = 0.009). 3. 간접흡연 태도에 따른 자기효능감, 흡연지식, 금연지도 인식도를 살펴보면, 자신의 태도별 흡연지식에서 흡연 않도록 부탁하는 군 51.12점(p = 0.000), 간접흡연 금연권고 경험별 항상 한다는 군에서 각 49.43점(p = 0.039), 51.64점(p = 0.000), 62.19점(p = 0.000), 간접흡연 시 많이 불편하다는 군도 각 46.78점(p = 0.010), 50.95점(p = 0.000), 60.54점(p = 0.000)으로 높게 나타났다. 4. 자기효능감, 흡연지식, 금연지도 인식도간의 상관관계를 살펴보면, 자기효능감과 흡연지식 (r = 0.102), 자기효능감과 금연지도 인식도(r = 0.272), 흡연지식과 금연지도 인식도는 정의 상관관계가 있었다(r = 0.352). 5. 금연지도 인식도에 영향을 미치는 요인을 살펴보면, 흡연인식, 흡연지식, 자기효능감으로 나타났고, 즉 절대로 피워서는 안 된다고 인식하는 군일수록, 흡연지식이 높을수록, 자기효능감이 높을수록 금연지도 인식도가 더 긍정적이었다. 임상에서 치과위생사의 효율적인 흡연예방 및 금연지도 활동을 위해서 교과과정에서 다양하고 실제적인 내용을 포함한 접근이 필요하고, 관심과 참여를 위한 지속적인 교육이 요구되었다.
- Bak GO, Mun IO: Factors associated with positive attitudes of smoking and drug use among non-smoking middle school students. J Korean Soc Health Educ Promot 22(2): 125-139, 2005.
- Choi GY, Lee KH: The state of college freshman's smoking and the application of cessation programs. J Korean Community Nurs 18(2): 301-309, 2007.
- Park JH, KIM YN, Yoo JH, Kim MY, Kim BI, Kwon HK: Relationship between smoking and periodontal pocket formation in Korean adults. J Korean Acad Dent Health 29(3): 293-301, 2005.
- Han GS, Kim YS, Kang JK, Hwang YS, Han DH, Bae KH: Relation of smoking and periodontal status among 30s-50s adults in metropolitan area. J Korean Acad Dent Health 32(2): 250-260, 2008.
- Kim SH, Chang JH, Park YD: The relation between university students' smoking behavior and their perception on oral health. J Dent Hygiene Science 5(3): 139-143, 2005.
- [online] http://www.nso.go.kr/ Results of social census, 2006.
- [online] http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/ In-depth data analysis, 2005.
- [online] http://www.circulation.or.kr/ Report on the results of research in celebration of the 50thanniversary, 2008.
- Centars for disease control and prevention (CDC, U.S.): Guidelines for school health programs to prevent tobacco use and addiction. J Sch Health 64(9): 353-360, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.1994.tb06204.x
- Park EO: A meta-analysis of the effects of smoking prevention programs in Korea. J Korean Acad Nurs 34(6): 1004-1013, 2004.
- Seo HG: The smoking rate among doctors and its various implications. J Korean Med Assoc 45(6): 685-694, 2002.
- [online] http://www.kash.or.kr/ Report on the survey of smoking, 2006.
- Kim JS, Jung Y, Park EY: Smoking cessation counselling activity among nurses in the community. J Korean Community Nurs 14(2): 211-222, 2003.
- Fiore M, Jaen CR, Baker TB, Bailey WC, Bennett G, Benowitz NL, Christiansen BA, Connell M, Curry SJ, Dorfman SF, Fraser D, Froelicher ES, Goldstein MG, Hasselblad V, Healton CG, Heishman S, Henderson PN, Heyman RB, Husten C, Koh HK, Kottke TE, Lando HA, Leitzke C, Mecklenburg RE, Mermelstein RJ, Morgan G, Mullen PD, Murray EW, Orleans CT, Piper ME, Robinson L, Stitzer ML, Theobald W, Tommasello AC, Villejo L, Wewers ME, Williams C: A clinical practice guideline for treating tobacco use and dependence: 2008 update. a U.S. public health service report. Am J Prev Med 35(2):158-176, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2008.04.009
- Simmons VN, Webb MS, Brandon TH: College student: An initial test of an experiential dissonance-enhancing intervention. Addict Behav 29: 1129-1136, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2004.03.005
- Ryu SY, Kim KS, Kang MG, Park HC: Smoking status and smoking cessation activity among physicians in a community. J Prev Med Pub Health 36(3): 271-278, 2003.
- Kim DK, Kim JS, Seong JH: Smoking cessation counselling activity among oral health care team in a community. J Korean Acad Dent Health 27(4): 511-526, 2003.
- Kim SH, Kim CH, Chang JH: Dental hygienists' knowledge, attitude and practices to recommend quitting smoking for smoking patients. J Korean Soc Health Educ Promot 22(1):73-86, 2005.
- Heo JU: A survey on dentists' smoking and perception on smoking. Master's Thesis of Kyunghee University, 2007.
- Hwang KS: A survey on dental practitioners' smoking and perception on smoking. Master's Thesis of Kyunghee University, 2007.
- Sherer M, Maddus JE, Mercadente B, Prentice-Dunn S, Jacobs B, Rogers RW: The self-efficacy scale: construction and validation. Psychological Reports 51: 663-671, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19220.127.116.113
- Oh HS, Kim YR: Factor analysis on behavior change mechanisms in self-help smoking cessation. J Korean Acad Nurs 26(3): 678-687, 1996.
- Jeong JH: A study on smoking factors and self-efficacy of vocational female high schoolers. Master's Thesis of Pusan University, 2002.
- Woo EK: A study on the knowledge level of smoking and smoking behavior. Master's Thesis of Yonsei University, 2003.
- Jung JY: A study on the knowledge of dental hygiene students on smoking and the state of smoking. J Korean Acad Dent Hygiene Education 7(3): 317-327, 2007.
- World health organization: Neglected global epidemics; three growing threats. The World Health report 2003, shaping the future. Geneva: Switzerland. pp.85-102, 2003.
- Kim HW: Relationships of self efficacy, social support and smoking behaviors in university students. J Kwandong Med 1(1): 131-143, 1997.
- Sohn SK, Lee JH: A study on the state and attitude toward smoking and passive smoking among middle school students. J Korean Soc of School Health 15(1): 93-105, 2002.
- Yu SJ: A study on middle and high school students' knowledge of and attitude toward indirect smoking. Master's Thesis of Hanyang University, 1997.
- Hwang BD: Knowledge, attitude and factors for smoking behavior in high school students. J Korean Soc Health Educ Promot 24(2): 45-61, 2007.
- Song MS: A study on nutrient intake and food habits influenced by smoking for female college students in seoul. J Korean Soc of School Health 4(2): 71-94, 1987.
- Park IS, Lee SH, Youn HJ: A comparative study on oral environment between smokers and non-smokers. J Dent Hygiene Science 8(3): 139-146, 2008.
- Lee SH, Suh KH: Moderate effects of gender on the knowledge and attitude toward smoking and self-concept among high school students. J Korean Soc Health Educ Promot 23(2): 29-45, 2006.
- Albert D, Ward A, Ahluwalia K, Sadowsky D: Addressing tobacco in managed care: a study of dentists' knowledge, attitudes and behaviors. Am J Public Health 92: 997-1001, 2002. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.92.6.997
- Warnakulasuriya S: Effectiveness of tobacco counseling in the dental office. J Dent Edu 66(9): 1079-1087, 2002.
- Kim SW: Smoking cessation strategies in the primery health care. J Korean Acad Fam Med 21(4): 443-454, 2000.
- Jang KA, Seong MG, Kang HK, Choi JO, Kim YS: Availability of oral hygiene devices for the patients with smoking in some dental clinics. J Dent Hygiene Science 8(1):7-12, 2008.