- Volume 5 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A new strength model for the high-performance fiber reinforced concrete
- Ramadoss, P. (Structural Engineering Division, Department of Civil Engineering, Anna University) ;
- Nagamani, K. (Structural Engineering Division, Department of Civil Engineering, Anna University)
- Received : 20061131
- Accepted : 2008.01.09
- Published : 2008.02.25
Steel fiber reinforced concrete is increasingly used day by day in various structural applications. An extensive experimentation was carried out with w/cm ratio ranging from 0.25 to 0.40, and fiber content ranging from zero to1.5 percent by volume with an aspect ratio of 80 and silica fume replacement at 5%, 10% and 15%. The influence of steel fiber content in terms of fiber reinforcing index on the compressive strength of high-performance fiber reinforced concrete (HPFRC) with strength ranging from 45 85 MPa is presented. Based on the test results, equations are proposed using statistical methods to predict 28-day strength of HPFRC effecting the fiber addition in terms of fiber reinforcing index. A strength model proposed by modifying the mix design procedure, can utilize the optimum water content and efficiency factor of pozzolan. To examine the validity of the proposed strength model, the experimental results were compared with the values predicted by the model and the absolute variation obtained was within 5 percent.
- ACI 211.1-91. (1999, part1), "Standard practice for selecting proportions for normal, heavy weight and mass concrete", ACI Manual of concrete practice.
- ACI 211.4R-93. (1999 part 1), Guide for selecting proportions for High strength concrete with Portland cement and Fly ash, ACI Manual of concrete practice.
- ACI 234R-96. (1999 part 1), Guide for use of Silica fumes in concrete, ACI Manual of concrete practice.
- ACI Committee 363 (1992), State-of-the-art report on High strength concrete, ACI 363R-92, American Concrete Institute, Detroit.
- ACI Committee 544 (1988), "Measurement of properties of fiber reinforced concrete", ACI Mater. J., 85(6), 583-589.
- ACI Committee 544 (1993), Guide for specifying, mixing, placing and finishing steel fiber reinforced concrete, ACI 544.3R-93, American Concrete Institute.
- ACI Committee 544 (1996), State-of-the-art report on fiber reinforced concrete, ACI 544-1R-96, American Concrete Institute. Detroit.
- Akman, M. S, and Yucel, K. T. (1995), "Efficiency factors of Turkish C fly ashes", XIth European Ready Mixed Congress, Turkish Ready Mixed Concrete Association, Istambul, Turkey.
- ASTM C 39-1992, Standard test method for compressive strength of fiber reinforced concrete, Annual book of ASTM standards, American Society for Testing and Materials, USA.
- ASTM C496-1990, Standard test method for split tensile strength of cylindrical concrete specimens, Annual book of ASTM standards, American Society for Testing and Materials, USA.
- ASTM C78-1994, Standard test method for flexural strength of fiber reinforced concrete, Annual book of ASTM standards, American Society for Testing and Materials, USA.
- Aïtcin, P. C. (1998), High Performance Concrete, 1st edition, E& FN, SPON, London.
- Balaguru, N. and Shah, S. P. (1992), Fiber Reinforced Concrete Composites, McGraw Hill international edition, New York.
- Bhanja, S. and Sengupta, B. (2002), "Investigation on the compressive strength of silica fume concrete using statistical methods", Cement Concrete Res., 32(9), 1391-1394. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(02)00787-1
- Cordon, G. A., Gillespie, H. A. (1963), "Variables in concrete aggregates and Portland cement paste which influence the strength of concrete", ACI J. Proceedings, 60(80), 1029-1050.
- Dattatreya, J. K., Neelamegam, M., and Rajamane, N. P. (2006), "A comparison of effects of ultra fine fly ash and silica fume in concrete", The Indian Concrete J., 80(2), 44-50.
- Duval, R. and Kadri, E. H. (1998), "Influence of silica fume on the workability and the compressive strength of high-performance concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 28(4), 533-547. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(98)00010-6
- Edward G. Nawy. (1997), Concrete Construction Engineering Hand Book, CRC Press, Boca Raton, New York.
- Ezeldin, A. S. and Balaguru, P. N. (1992), "Normal and high strength fiber reinforced concrete under compression", ASCE, J. Mater. in Civil Eng., 4(4), 415-429. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1992)4:4(415)
- Fanella, D. A. and Naaman, A. E. (1985), "Stress-strain properties of fiber reinforced mortar in compression", ACI J., 82(4), 475-583.
- Ganesh Babu, K. and Nageshwara Rao, G. S. (1993), "Efficiency of fly ash in concrete", Cement Concrete Compos., 15, 223-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/0958-9465(93)90025-5
- Ganesh Babu, K. and Surya Prakash, P. V. (1995), "Efficiency of silica fume in concrete", Cement Concrete Res., 25(6), 1273-1283. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(95)00120-2
- IS: 10262-1992, Recommended guide lines for concrete mix design, Bureau of Indian standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 12269-1987, Specification for 53-grade OPC, Bureau of Indian standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 383-1970, Specification for coarse and fine aggregates from natural sources for concrete, Bureau of Indian standards, New Delhi, India.
- Jehran, P. A. (1983), ACI SP 79 Vol. II, American Concrete Institute, Detroit, 625-642.
- Nataraja, M. C., Dhang, N., and Gupta, A. P. (July 1998), "Steel fiber reinforced concrete in compression", Indian Concrete J., 353-356.
- Neville, A. M. (2000), Properties of Concrete, 4th edition, Pearson Education Asia Pte. Ltd.
- Ramadoss, P. and Nagamani, K. (2006), "Investigations on the tensile strength of high-performance fiber reinforced concrete using statistical methods", Comput. Concrete, An Int. J., 3(6), 289-400.
- Sabir, B. B. (1995), 'High-strength condensed silica fume concrete', Mag. Concrete Res., 47(172), 219-226. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.19220.127.116.11
- Sellevold, E. J. and Nilsen, T. (1987), "Supplementary cementing materials for concrete", CANMAT, SP 86-8, American Concrete Institute, Detroit, 167-246.
- Smith, I. A. (1967), "The design of fly ash concrete", Proceedings Institution of Civil Engineers, London, 36, 769-790. https://doi.org/10.1680/iicep.1967.8472
- Wafa, F. F. and Ashour, S. A. (1992), "Mechanical properties of high-strength fiber reinforced concrete", ACI Mater. J., 89(5), 445-455.
- Ultrasonic Testing Transformation Model of High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cementitious Composite vol.43, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE20120007
- Mechanical properties of hybrid fibre-reinforced concrete – analytical modelling and experimental behaviour vol.68, pp.16, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1680/jmacr.15.00276
- Preliminary design and structural responses of typical hybrid wind tower made of ultra high performance cementitious composites vol.48, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.48.6.791
- Theoretical study of UHPCC composite column behaviors under axial compression vol.55, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.5.931
- Structural behaviors of sustainable hybrid columns under compression and flexure vol.52, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.52.5.857
- Behaviour of high strength concrete reinforced with different types of steel fibres 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13287982.2017.1396871