- Volume 18 Issue 3
Biochemical characterization including hemagglutination of erythrocytes, molecular weight, optimum temperature, thermal stability, optimum pH, carbohydrate specificity, and inhibitory effect of metal ion were studied in lectin of eggplant (Solanum melongena L.) fruit prepared by ammonium sulfate fractionation and affinity chromatography. This lectin was agglutinated by trypsin-treated rat blood erythrocyte. The molecular weight of this lectin by SDS-PAGE was estimated to be approximately 19.3 kDa of a single band. This lectin has no activity by 7 carbohydrates containing D-glucose. The optimum range of temperature and pH were
가지 열매로부터 neutral saline에 의한 추출,
- Bradford, M. M. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72, 248-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
- Buczkowska, H. 2000. Eggplant cultivation under cover- Climatic requirements. Owoce. 39, 12-19.
- Burger, M. M. 1967. Assays for agglutination with lectins. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 57, 359-367. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.57.2.359
- Chang, C. S., M. J. Oh and K. S. Roh. 1999. Purification and biochemical characterization of lectin from Viscum album. Kor. J. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 14, 578-584.
- Chung, S. R., K. H. Jeune, S. Y. Park and S. J. Jang. 1993. Toxicity and lectins constituents from the seed of Corus officinalis. Kor. J. Pharmacogn. 24, 177-182.
- Esteban, R. M., E. M. Molla, L. M. Robredo, F. J. Lopez-Andreu. 1992. Changes in chemical composition of eggplant fruits during development and ripening. J. Agr. Food Chem. 40, 998-1000. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00018a017
- Gleddie, S., W. Keller, G. Setterfield. 1986. Eggplant, pp. 500-511, In Evans, D. A. and W. R. Sharp (eds.), Handbook of Plant Cell Culture, Vol. 3, Techniques for Propagation and Breeding. MacMillan, New York.
- Golestein, I. J., R. C. Hughes. M. Monsigny. T. Osawa, and N. Sharon. 1980. What should be called a lectin? Nature 285, 66-70.
- Gupta, N. and P. S. Srivastava. 1998. Purification and characterization of a lectin from seeds and cotyledonary callus of Zizyphus mauritiana, Plant Cell Reports, 17, 552-556. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002990050440
- Higuchi, M. and K. Iwai. 1985. Purification and some properties of the basic lectin from winged bean seeds. Agr. Biol. Chem. 49, 391-398. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.49.391
- Hinata, H. 1986. Eggplant (Solanum melongena L.), pp. 363-370, In Bajaj, Y. P. S. (ed.), Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry, Vol. 2, Springer, Berlin.
- Hirano, K., T. Teraoka, H. Yamanaka, A. Harashima, A. Kunisaki, H. Tahahashi and D. Hosokawa. 2000. Novel mannose-binding rice lectin composed of some isolectins and its relation to a stress-inducible salT gene. Plant Cell Physiol. 41, 258-267. https://doi.org/10.1093/pcp/41.3.258
- Kalloo, G. 1993. Eggplant (Solanum melongena), pp. 587- 604, In Kalloo, G. (ed.), Genetic Improvement of Vegetable Crops. Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- Kalsi, G., H. R. Das, C. R. Babu and R. H. Das. 1992.Isolation and characterization of a lectin from peanut roots. Biochem. Biophys. Acta. 1117, 114-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4165(92)90067-5
- Khan, R. 1979. Solanum melongena and its ancestral forms. pp. 629-636, In Hawkes, J., R. N. Lester and A. D. Skelding (eds.), The Biology and Taxonomy of Solanaceae. Academic Press, London.
- Kilpatrick, D. C. 1980. Purification and some properties of a lectin from the fruit juice of the tomato. Biochem. J. 185, 269-272. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1850269
- Kim, H. S., S. Y. Son, S. Y. Hwang and B. S. Hong. 1999. Purification and chatacterization of the lectins from mushroom Flammulina velutipes. J. Kor. Soc. Agric. Chem. Biotechnol. 42, 304-309.
- Kuku, A. and O. B. Eretan. 2004. Purification and partial characterization of a lectin from the fresh leaves of Kalanchoe crenata (Andr.) Haw. J. Biochem. Mol. Biology. 37, 229-233. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2004.37.2.229
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 227, 680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Lis, H. and N. Sharon. 1986. Lectins as molecules and as tools. Ann. Rev. Biochem. 55, 35-67. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.bi.55.070186.000343
- Maghil, E. P., D. P. Mercy, B. N. Renuka and S. S. Jeya. 2003. Purification and characterization of a sialic acid specific lectin from the hemolymph of the freshwater crab Paratelphusa jacquemontii. Eur. J. Biochem. 270, 4348-4355. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1432-1033.2003.03828.x
- Moon, I. J., S. R. Chung and K. H. Jeune. 1995. Mitotic stimulation and cancer cell agglutination of the lectin from Lentinus edodes. Yakhak Hoeji. 39, 260-267.
- Nachbar, M. S., J. D. Oppebheim and J. O. Thomas. 1980. Isolation and characterization of a lectin from the tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum). J. Biol. Chem. 255, 2056-2061.
- Olsnes, S., F. Stirpe,, K. Sandvig and A. Phil. 1982. Isolation and characterization of viscumin, a toxic lectin from Viscum album L. (Mistletoe). J. Biol. Chem. 257, 13263-13270.
- Park, K. B., K. S. Lee, J. R. Kim and Y. J. Kim. 1981. Purification and characterization of a lectin obtained from banha (Pinellia ternata) roots. Kor. Biochem. 14, 137-147.
- Park, N. Y., S. P. Lee and K. S. Roh. 2007. Biochemical characterization of lectin isolated from cherry tomato fruit. J. Life Science. 17, 254-259. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.2.254
- Park, W. B and J. Y. Park. 1999. Isolation and characterization of lectin from Aloe vera. Kor. J. Food. Sci. Technol. 31, 899-905.
- Roh, K. S. 2007. Biochemical characterization of lectin purified from kidney bean seedling. Kor. J. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 22, 53-57.
- Roh, K. S. and D. J. Lee. 2002. Purification and some properties of lectin from Canavalia ensiformis L. Kor. J. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 17, 484-489.
- Roh, K. S. and N. Y. Park. 2005. Characterization of the lectin purified from Canavalia ensiformis shoots. Biotechnol. Bioproc. Engineer. 10, 334-340. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02931851
- Sharon, N. and H. Lis. 1972. Lectins: Cell-agglutinating and sugar-specific proteins. Science 177, 949-959. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.177.4053.949
- Sharon, N. 1977. Lectins. Sci. American 236, 108-119. https://doi.org/10.1038/scientificamerican0677-108
- Sharon, N. and H. Lis. 1987. Century of lectin research (1888-1988). Trends Biochem. Sci. 12, 488-491. https://doi.org/10.1016/0968-0004(87)90236-2
- Takatsy, G. 1967. The use of a microtitrator in serological procedures. In International Symposium on Immunological Method of Biological Study. 4, 275-280.
- Utarabhand, P. and P. Akkayanont. 1995. Purification of a lectin from Parkia javanica beans. Phytochem. 38, 281-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(94)00550-D
- Wagner, H., E. Jordan, and B. Feil. 1986. Studies on the atandardization of mistletoe prepartions. Oncology 43, 16-22. https://doi.org/10.1159/000226416
- Walkins, A. H. 1972. Carbohydrates in cell recognition. Sci. American 22, 74-81.
- Weber, K. and M. Osborn. 1969. The reliability of molecular weight determination by dodecyl-sulfate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. J. Biol. Chem. 244, 4406-4412.
- Zhang, W., W. J. Peumans, A. Barre, C. H. Astoul, P. Rovira, P. Rouge, P. Proost, P. Truffa-Bachi, A. A. H. Jalali and E. J. M. Van Damme. 2000. Isolation and characterization of a jacalin-related mannose-binding lectin from salt-stressed rice (Oriza sativa) plants. Planta 210, 970-978. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004250050705
- Ziska, P., H. Franz and K. Kindt. 1978. The lectin from Viscum album L. purification by biospecific affinity chromatography. Experientia 34, 123-124. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01921941
- Comparison of Biochemical Characterization of Korean and Chinese Mung Bean Lectin vol.24, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.6.603
- Growth Responses of Eggplant (Solanum melongena) to Hydrophilic Polymer Mixture Ratio in Growing Medium for Lower Maintenance Urban Agriculture via Green Roofs vol.25, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2016.25.5.625