- Volume 3B Issue 4
Analysis of Ultrasonic Linear Motor Using the Finite Element Method and Equivalent Circuit
- Park, Jong-Seok (School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Seoul National University) ;
- Joo, Hyun-Woo (School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Chang-Hwan (Electrical Engineering and Science Research Institute, Seoul National University) ;
- Jung, Hyun-Kyo (School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Seoul National University)
- Published : 2003.12.01
In this paper, a three-dimensional finite element method and construction of equivalent-circuit for a linear ultrasonic motor are presented. The validity of three-dimensional finite element routine in this paper is experimentally confirmed by analyzing impedance of a piezoelectric transducer. Using this confirmed finite element routine, impedance and vibration mode of a linear ultrasonic motor are calculated. Elliptical motion of contact point between vibrator and rail of the linear ultrasonic motor is shown for determination of contact points. By using the finite element method and analytic equations, characteristics of the linear ultrasonic motor, such as thrust force, speed, losses, powers and efficiency, are calculated. The results are confirmed by experiment. Finally, equivalent circuit parameters of the linear ultrasonic motor are obtained using the three-dimensional finite element method and analytic equations.
- Reinhard Lerch, 'Simulation of Piezoelectric Devices by Two- and Three Dimensional Finite Elements,' IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, vol. 37, pp. 233-247, May 1990
- Y.Jin, C.F. Foo, and W.G. Zhu, 'Three Dimensional Simulation of Piezoelectric Transformer for the Switching Power Supply.' Industrial Electronics Society, 1999. IECON '99 Proceedings. The 25th Annual Conference of the IEEE, vol. 1, pp. 295-299, 1999
- Toshiiku Sashida and Takashi Kenjo, An Introduction to Ultrasonic Motors, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1993
- S. Ueha, Y. Tomikawa, M. Kurosawa, and N. Nakamura, Ultrasonic Motors: Theory and Applications, Clarendon Press. Oxford, 1993
- Hong-In Chea, Fabrication and Characteristics Analysis of an Ultrasonic Motor using the Flexural Vibration Mode of a Ring-type Piezoelectric Ceramic, Ph.D. Thesis, Chung-Buk National University, Korea, 1995
- Chin-Yi Lin, Design and Analysis of Piezoelectric Transformer Converter, VPEC Ph.D. Dissertation, 1997.
- Yasuhiro Sasaki, Sadayuki Takahashi, and Seiji Hirose, 'Relationship between Mechanical Loss and Phases of Physical Constants in Lead-Zirconate-Titanate Ceramics,' Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. vol. 36, pp. 6058-6061, September. 1997
- H. W. Katz, Solid State Magnetic and Dielectric Devices, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1959