- Volume 16 Issue 5
Piezoelectric Fiber Composites with Interdigitated Electrodes (PFCIDE) were previously introduced as an alternative to monolithic wafers with conventional electrodes for applications of structural actuation. This paper is an investigation into the performance improvement of piezoelectric fiber composite actuators by changing the matrix material. This paper presents a modified micro-electromechanical model and numerical analyses of piezoelectric fiber/piezopolymer matrix composite actuator with interdigitated electrodes (PFPMIDE). Various concepts from different backgrounds including three-dimensional linear elastic and dielectric theories have been incorporated into the present linear piezoelectric model. The rule of mixture and the modified method to calculate effective properties of fiber composites were extended to apply to the PFPMIDE model. The new model was validated when compared with available experimental data and other analytical results. To see the structural responses of a composite plate integrated with the PFPMIDE, three-dimensional finite element formulations were derived. Numerical analyses show that the shape of the graphite/epoxy composite plate with the PFPMIDE may be controlled by judicious choice of voltages, piezoelectric fiber angles, and elastic tailoring of the composite plate.
- Banno, H., 1983, 'Recent Developments of Piezoelectric Ceramic Products and Composites of Synthetic Rubber and Piezoelectric Ceramic Particles,' Ferroelectrics, Vol. 50, pp. 3-12 https://doi.org/10.1080/00150198308014425
- Bent, A. A., 1997, 'Active Fiber Composite for Structural Actuation,' Ph. D. thesis, MIT
- Bent, A. A. and Hagood, N. W., 1997, 'Piezoelectric Fiber Composites with Interdigitated Electrodes,' Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 8, pp. 903-919 https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X9700801101
- Bent, A. A., Hagood, N. W. and J. P. Rodgers, 1995, 'Anisotropic Actuation with Piezoelectric Fiber Composites,' Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 6, No.3, pp.338-349 https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X9500600305
- Chattopadhyay, A., Li, J. and Gu, H., 1999, 'Coupled Thermo-Piezoelectric- Mechanical Model for Smarts Composite Laminates,' AIAA Journal, Vol. 37, No. 12, pp. 1633-1638 https://doi.org/10.2514/2.645
- Chee, C. Y. K., Tong, L. and Steven, G. P., 1998, 'A Review on the Modeling of Piezoelectric Sensor and Actuators Incorporated in Intelligent Structures,' Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 9, pp. 3-19 https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X9800900101
- Gallantree, H. R., 1983, 'Review of Transducer Applications of Polyvinylidene Fluoride,' IEE proceedings 130, pp. 219-224
- Hagood, N. W. and Bent, A. A., 1993, 'Development of Piezoelectric Fiber Composites for Structural Actuation,' AIAA Paper No. 93-1717, Proceedings of 34th AIAA Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, La Jolla, CA.
- Herakovich, C. T., 1998, Mechanics of Fibrous Composites, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- IEEE Std 176-1978, IEEE Standard on Piezoelectricity, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Jaffe, B., Roth, R. S. and Marzullo, S., 1995, 'Properties of Piezoelectric Ceramics in the SolidSolution Series Lead Titanate-Lead ZirconateLead Oxide: Tin Oxide and Lead Titanate- Lead Hanate,' Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards 55, pp.239-254
- Measurement Specialties, Inc., 1998, Piezo Film Sensors Technical Manual, Part 5 of 18
- Plessis, A. J. D. and Hagood, N. W., 1995, 'Performance Investigation of Twist Actuated Single Cell Composite Beams for Helicopter Blade Control,' 6th International Conference on Adaptive Structures and Technology, Key West, FL.
- Sirohi, J. and Chopra, I., 2000, 'Fundamental Understanding of Piezoelectric Strain Sensors,' Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 11, pp.246-257 https://doi.org/10.1106/8BFB-GC8P-XQ47-YCQ0
- Taylor, R. L., Beresford, P. J. and Wilson, E. L., 1976, 'A Non-Conforming Element for Stress Analysis,' International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 10, No.6, pp. 1211-1219 https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620100602
- Uchino, K., 1986, 'Electrostrictive Actuators: Materials and Applications,' American Ceramic Society Bulletin 65, pp. 647-652