- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Active Immunization against Adrenocorticotropic Hormone in Growing-Finishing Barrows: An Initial Trial and Evaluation
- Lee, C.Y. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Graduate School, Chinju National University) ;
- Baik, K.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Graduate School, Chinju National University) ;
- Jeong, J.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Graduate School, Chinju National University) ;
- Lee, S.D. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Graduate School, Chinju National University) ;
- Park, J.K. (Department of Animal Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Song, Y.M. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Graduate School, Chinju National University) ;
- Kim, Y.S. (Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa) ;
- Sohn, S.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Graduate School, Chinju National University)
- 투고 : 2001.07.25
- 심사 : 2001.11.05
- 발행 : 2002.03.01
Adrenal glucocorticoids, secreted by the stimulus of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), are catabolic hormones in the pig. The present study was conducted to find whether active immunization against ACTH would suppress cortisol secretion accompanied by an increased growth rate in growing-finishing barrows. ACTH was conjugated to keyhole limpet hemocyanin or human histone using glutaraldehyde or 3-maleimidobenzoic acid N-hydroxysuccinimide, under a 2 (ACTH vs no hapten)
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Adams, T. E. and B. M. Adams. 1990. Reproductive function and feedlot performance of beef heifers actively immunized against GnRH. J. Anim. Sci. 68:2793-2802. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6892793x
- Antoni, F. C. 1989. Hypothalamic control of adrenocorticotropin secretion: advances since the discovery of 41-residue corticotropin-releasing factor. Endocr. Rev. 7:351-378. https://doi.org/10.1210/edrv-7-4-351
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- Armstrong, J. D., K. L. Esbenshade, J. L. Johnson, M. T. Coffey, E. Heimer, R. M. Campbell, T. Mowles and A. Felix. 1991. Active immunization of pigs against growth hormonereleasing factor: effect on concentrations of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor. J. Anim. Sci. 68:427-434.
- Beermann, D. H. 1989. Status of current strategies for growth regulation. In: Animal Growth Regulation (Ed. D. R. Campion, G. J. Hausman and R. J. Martin). Plenum Press, New York and London. pp. 377-400.
- Chapple, R. P., J. A. Cuaron and R. A. Easter. 1989. Effect of glucocorticoids and limiting nursing on the carbohydrate digestive capacity and growth rate of piglets. J. Anim. Sci. 67:2956-2973. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.67112956x
- Corah, T. J., J. D. Tatum, J. B. Morgan, R. G. Mortimer and G. C. Smith. 1995. Effects of a dexamethasone implant on deposition of intramuscular fat in genetically identical cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3310-3316. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73113310x
- Esbenshade, K. L., A. J. Ziecik and J. H. Britt. 1990. Regulation and action of gonadotrophins in pigs. J. Reprod. Fertil. 40 (suppl.):19-32.
- Etherton, T. D. and R. S. Kensinger. 1984. Endocrine regulation of fetal and postnatal meat animal growth. J. Anim. Sci. 59:511-528. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1984.592511x
- Guillaume, V., B. Conte-Devolx, E. Magnan, F. Boudouresque, M. Grino, M. Cataldi, L. Muret, A. Priou, P. Deprez, J. C. Figaroli and C. Oliver. 1992. Effect of chronic active immunization anti-corticotropin-releasing factor on the pituitary-adrenal function in the sheep. Endocrinology 130:2291-2298. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.130.4.2291
- Guo, C. Y., W. Ward, P. Cairns and S. Atkinson. 2000. Comparative response in growth and bone status to three dexamethasone treatment regimens in infant piglets. Pediatr. Res. 48:238-243. https://doi.org/10.1203/00006450-200008000-00019
- Harlow, E. and D. Lane. 1988. Antibodies: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Cold Spring Harbor, New York.
Huang, H., C. Gazzola, G. G. Pegg and M. N. Sillence. 2000. Differential effects of dexamethasone and clenbuterol on rat growth and on
$\beta$2-adrenoreceptors in lung and skeletal muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 78:604-608. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.783604x
- Kim, Y. S., K. H. Kim and Y. J. Choi. 1998. Conjugation methods affect anti-somatostatin antibody production, but do not affect growth response during active immunization against somatostatin in rats. J. Anim. Sci. 76(Suppl. 1):126(Abstr.).
- Lee, C. Y. and D. M. Henricks. 1990. Comparisons of various acidic treatments of bovine serum on insulin-like growth factor-I immunoreactivity and binding activity. J. Endocrinol. 127:139-148. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1270139
- Liu, F-T., M., Zinnecker, T. Hamaoka and D. H. Katz. 1979. New procedures for preparation and isolation of conjugates of proteins and a synthetic copolymer of D-amino acids and immunochemical characterization of such conjugates. Biochemistry 18:690-693. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00571a022
- Minton, J. E. and K. M. Parsons. 1993. Adrenocorticotropic hormone and cortisol response to corticotropin-releasing factor and lysine vasopressin in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 71:724-729. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.713724x
- NSIF. 1997. Guidelines for Uniform Swine Improvement Programs. On-farm Programs. National Swine Improvement Federation, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1986. User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Sillence, M. N., M. R. Jones, P. Lowry and J. R. Bassett. 1992. Passive immunization with antiserum to adrenocorticotropin increases weight gain in normal female rats. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1382-1388. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7051382x
- Thau, R. 1992. Anti-LHRH and anti-pituitary gonadotropin vaccines: their development and clinical applications. Scand. J. Immunol. (Suppl.) 11:127-130. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3083.1992.tb01635.x
- Voigt, K., W. Stegmaier, G. P. McGregor, H. Rosch and H. Seliger. 1990. Isolation and full structural characterization of six adrenocortocotropin-like peptides from porcine pituitary gland. Identification of three novel fragments of adrenocorticotropin and of two forms of a novel adrenocorticotropin-like peptide. Eur. J. Biochem. 194:225-236. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1990.tb19447.x
- Weiler, H. A., Z. Wang and S. A. Atkinson. 1997. Whole body lean mass is altered by dexamethasone treatment through reductions in protein and energy utilization in piglets. Biol. Neonate 71:53-59. https://doi.org/10.1159/000244397
- Yoon, J., M. S. Rhee, D. S. Seo, B. C. Kim and Y. Ko. 2001. Monitoring of blood cytokines by PIT-1 genotypes in day 150 male pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1659-1664. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.1659
- Yun, J. S., W. J. Kang, D. S. Seo, S. S. Park, K. C. Hong, C. Y. Lee and Y. Ko. 2001. Association of endocrine factors (insulin-like growth factor-II and binding protein-3) with litter size in pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:307-315. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.307