- Volume 17 Issue 4
Fumonisin B1, a mycotoxin, is thought to induce esophageal cancer in humans and apoptosis in animal cells by inhibiting ceramide synthase. Dumonisin Bl may also generate reactive oxygen species directly or indirectly, leading to DNA damage and lipid peroxidation. In this study, a DNA fragmentation assay, dichlorofluorescein (DCF) analysis, and single cell gel electrophoresis (SCGE) were used to investigate the involvement of cellular free radicals, specifically hydrogen peroxide, in the DNA damaging activity of fumonisin B1. From an in vitro DNA fragmentation assay, E. coli DNA, damage by fumonisin Bl was increased by the addition of superxide dismutase (SOD) and decreased by catalase. SCGE and DCF analysis in vivo showed that the nuclear DNA damage and intracellular free radicals in cultured rat hepatocytes treated with fumonisin B1 were increased with the concentration of fumonisin Bl . DNA damage and free radical generation were inhibited by the addition of catalase. Fumonisin Bl , in the presence of SOD, produces hydrogen peroxide causing oxidative DNA damage and protein malfunction, leading to genotoxicity and cytotoxicity of the toxin.
- Arch. Toxicol. v.72 Cytotoxicity of fumonisin B1: implication of lipid peroxidation and inhibition of protein and DNA synthesis Abado-Becofnee, K.;Mobio, T.A.;Ennamany, R.;Fleurat-Lessard, F.;Shier, W.T.;Badria, F.;Creppy, E.E.
- Toxicology v.131 Oxidative damage and fumonish B1-induced toxicity in primary rat hepatocytes and rat liver in vivo Abel, S.;Gelderblom, W.C.
- Mycopathologia v.143 Effect of Fusarium moniliforme culture extracts and fumonism B1 on DNA, RNA and protein sunthesisby body hamster kidney cells Abeywiekrama, K.;Bean, G.A.;Kennedy, K.A.
- Exp. Eye Res. v.68 Hydrogen peroxide causes significant mitochondrial DNA damage in human RPE cell Ballinger, S.W.;Van, Houten, B.;Jin, G.F.;Conklin, C.A.;Godley, B.F.
- Appl. Environ. Microbiol. v.60 Simultaneous occurrence of fumonisin B1 and other mycotoxins in moldy corn collected from the Peoples Republic of China in regions with high incideces of esophageal cancer Chu, F.S.;Li, G.Y.
- Food Chem. Toxicol. v.36 Characterization of cell-cycle arrest by fumonisin B1 CV-1 cells Ciacci-Zanella, J.R.; Jr Merrill, A.H.;Wang, E.;Jones, C.
- Mutat, Res. v.442 Genotoxicity of microcystic cyanobacteria extract of a water source in China Ding, W.X.;Shen, H.M.;Zhu, H.G.;Lee, B.L.;Ong, C.N.
- J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. v.285 Tumor necrosis factor-alpha as a contributor in fumonisn B1 toxicity Dugyala, R.R.;Sharma, R.P.;Tsunoda, M.;Riley, R.T.
- Zentralbl. Veterinarmed. v.[B] 45 Fumonisin B1 contamination of maize and experimental acute fumonisin toxicosis in pigs Fazekas, B.;Bajmocy;Glavits, E.;Fenyvesi, R.A.;Tanyi, J.
- Appl. Environ. Microbiol. v.54 Fumonisins-novel mycotoxins with cancer-pronoting activity produced by Fusarium mniliforme Gelderblom, W.C.;Jaskiewicz, K.;Marasas, W.F.;Thiel, P.G.;Horak, R.M.;Vleggaar, R.;Kriek, N.P.
- Cancer Lett. v.109 The cancer-promoting potential of fumonisin B1 in rat liver using diethylnitrisamine as a cancer inhibitor Gelderblom, W.C.;Snyman, S.D.;Lebepe-Mazur, S.;van der Westhuizen, L.;Kriek, N.P.;Marasas, W.F.
- Onderstepoort J. Vet. Res. v.57 Leukoen-cephalomalacia in two horses induced by oral dosing of fumonisin B1 Kellerman, T.S.;Marasas, W.F.;Thiel, P.G.;Gelderblom, W.C.;Cawood, M.;Coetzer, J.A.
- Free radical damage and its control Chemistry of iron and copper in radical reactions Koppenol, W.H.;Rice-Evans, C.A.(Ed.);Burdon R.H.(Ed.)
- Neuro-toxicology v.20 The naturally occurring food mycotoxin fumonisin B1 impairs myelin formation in aggregatin brain cell culture Minnet-Tschudi, F.;Zurich, M.G.;Sorg, O.;Matthieu, J.M.;Honegger, P.;Schilter, B.
- Analysis of free radicals in biological systems Chemistry of dioxygen and its activated species Pierre, J.L.;Favier A.E.(et al.)(Ed.)
- Biomed. Environ. Sci. v.3 Oncogenes, oncogenesis and oxigen radicals: a review Sahu, S.C.
- Cancer Lett. v.125 Peroxidation of membrane lipids and oxidative DNA damage by fumonisin B1 in isolated rat liver nuclei Sahu, S.C.;Eppley, R.M.;Page, S.W.;Gray, G.C.;Barton, C.N.;ODonnell, M.W.
- Brain Res. Dev. Brain Res. v.108 Inhibition of sphingolipid synthesis, but not degradation, alters the rate of dendrite growth in cultured hippocampal neurons Schwarz, A.;Futerman, A.H.
- Free Radic. Biol. Med. v.21 Detection of elevated reactive oxygen species level in cultured rat hepatocytes treated with aflatoxin B1 Shen, H.M.;Shi, C.Y.;Shen, Y.;Ong, C.N.
- J. Agric. Food Chem. v.39 Fumonisin contamination of commercial corn-based human food-stuffs Sydenham, E.W.;Shephard, G.S.;Thiel, P.G.;Marasas, W.F.O.;Stockenstrom, S.
- Int. J. Oncol. v.14 Fumonisin B1 induces apoptosis in cultured human keratinocytes through sphinganine accumulation and ceramide depletion Tolleson, W.H.;Couch, L.H.;Jr Melchior, W.B.;Jekins, G.R.; Muskhelishvill, M.;Muskhelishvill, L.;McGrayity, L.J.;Domon, O.;Morris, S.M.;Howard, P.C.
- J. Biol. Chem. v.274 The mycotoxin fumonisin B1 Transcriptionally activates the p21 promoter throgh a cis-acting element containing two Sp1 binding sites Zhang, Y.;Dickman, M.B.;Jones, C.