- Volume 28 Issue 4
Microencapsulation of anchovy oil as a core material in sodium alginate as a wall material was inves tigated. Microencapsulation was accomplished by injecting an oil/water emulsion, consisting of a mixture of liquefied sodium alginate and emulsifier, under high pressure through an orifice submerged in a calcium lactate solution. Microcapsules suspended in a dispersion fluid were observed under a fluorescence mi croscope to verify the presence of the capsules and to note coalescence or degradation of the capsules. Optimum conditions for microencapsulation of anchovy oil were obtained when 1.0% aqueous solution of sodium alginate contained 3% of a 1:1 ratio of ESPR 25(polyglycerine＋polylinoleate) and TW 20(sorbitan laurate＋ethylene oxide) as an emulsifier in terms of capsule size and size distribution, and emulsion stability. The airless sprayer produced microcapsules with a diameter between 15.9 and 73.9 m with different concentration of a wall material. The optimum mixing ratio of wall material to core material was 90:10(wt/wt). 0.2% calcium lactate was appropriate as a dispersion fluid.
- Food Technol. v.42 Food lipids and fatty acids: Importance in food quality, nutrition, and health Kinsella, J. E.
- Flavor and lipid chemistry of seafoods v.674 Microencapsulation and oxidative stability of DHA Chang, P. S.;Shahidi, F.;Cadwallader, K. R.(eds.)
- Encapsulation and controlled release of food ingredients v.590 Controlled release techniques in the food industry Reineccius, G. A.;Resch, S. J.;Reineccius, G. A.(eds.)
- Crit. Rev. in Food Sci. Nutr. v.33 Encapsulation of Food ingredients Shahi, F. S.;Han, X.
- J. Food Sci. Technol. v.25 Studies on microencapsulation of cardamon oil by spray drying techniques Sankarikutty, B.;Sreekumar, M. M.;Narayanan, C. S.;Mathew, A. G.
- J. Food Sci. v.56 Microencapsulated iron for food fortification Jackson, L. S.;Lee, K.
- Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. v.28 Studies on the microencapsulation of ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid Kim, C. H.;Lee, K. W.;Baick, S. C.;Kwak, H. S.;Kang, J. O.
- J. Dairy Sci. v.64 Microencapsularion of cheese ripening systems: formation of microcapsules Magee, Jr. E. L.;Olson, N. F.
- Food Technol. v.42 Preparation of encapsulated flavors with high flavor level Mutka, J. R.;Nelson, D. B.