- Volume 2 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Failure mechanisms of a rigid-perfectly plastic cantilever with elastic deformation at its root subjected to tip pulse loading
- Wang, B. (School of Mechanical and Production Engineering, Nanyang Technology University)
- Published : 1994.06.25
In this paper, the effect of material elasticity was evaluated through a simple model as proposed by Wang and Yu (1991), for yield mechanisms of a cantilever beam under tip pulse loading. The beam was assumed rigid-perfectly plastic but instead of the usual fully clamped constraints at its root, an elastic-perfectly plastic rotational spring was introduced there so the system had a certain capacity to absorb elastic energy. Compared with a rigid-perfectly plastic beam without a spring root, the present beam-spring model showed differences in the initial plastic hinge position and the minimum magnitude of the dynamic force needed to produce a plastic failure. It was also shown that various failure responses may happen while the hinge travels along the beam segment towards the root, rather than a unique response mode as in a rigid perfectly plastic analysis.
- Jones, N. (1989a), Structural Impact, London, Cambridge University Press.
- Jones, N. (1989b), "Recent studies on the dynamic plastic behavior of structures", Appl. Mech. Rev. 42, 95-115. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3152425
- Lee, E. H. and Symonds, P. S. (1952), "Large plastic deformation of beams under transverse impact". J. Appl. Mech., 19, 308-314.
- Parkes, E. W. (1955), "The permanent deformation of a cantilever struck transversely at its tip", Proc. R. Soc. Lond., Series A, 228, 482-476.
- Reid, S. R. and Gui, X. (1987), "On the elastic-plastic deformation of cantilever beams subjected to tip impact", Int. J. Impact Engng., 6. 109-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(87)90014-5
- Reid, S. R., Hua, Y. L. and Yang, J. (1990), "Response of a bent cantilever to a rectangular force pulse applied at its tip normal to its plane", Int. J. Impact Engng., 9, 485-502. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(90)90037-V
- Symonds, S. R. and Fleming, W. (1984), "Parkes revisited: on rigid-plastic and elastic-plastic dynamic structural analysis", Int. J. Impact Engng., 2, 1-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(84)90013-7
- Wang, X. and Yu, T. X. (1991), "Parkes revisited: when elastic deformation at the root of a cantilever beam is involved". Int. J. Impact Engng., 11, 197-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(91)90006-2