• Title, Summary, Keyword: genetic

Search Result 16,798, Processing Time 0.063 seconds

Genetic Diversity and Population Genetic Structure of Cephalotaxus koreana in South Korea

  • Hong, Kyung Nak;Kim, Young Mi;Park, Yu Jin;Lee, Jei Wan
    • Korean Journal of Plant Resources
    • /
    • v.27 no.6
    • /
    • pp.660-670
    • /
    • 2014
  • The Korean plum yew (Cephalotaxus koreana Nakai) is a shade-tolerant, coniferous shrub. The seeds have been used as a folk medicine in Korea, and an alkaloid extract (HTT) is known to have anticancer properties. We estimated the genetic diversity of 429 trees in 16 populations in South Korea using 194 polymorphic amplicons from seven combinations of AFLP primer-restriction enzymes. The average number of effective alleles and the percentage of polymorphic loci were 1.37 and 79.4%, respectively. Shannon's diversity index and the expected heterozygosity were 0.344 and 0.244, respectively. We divided 16 populations into four groups on the UPGMA dendrogram and the PCA biplot. The first two principal components explained 84% of the total genetic variation. Genetic differentiation between populations explained 14% of total genetic variation, and the remaining 86% came from difference between individuals within populations, as determined by an analysis of molecular variance (AMOVA). However, the genetic differentiation did not correlate with the geographic distance between populations from the Mantel test. The Bayesian statistics, which are comparable to Wright's $F_{ST}$ and Nei's $G_{ST}$, were ${\theta}^I=0.406$ and ${\theta}^{II}=0.172$, respectively. The population genetic diversity was slightly lower, and the strength of genetic differentiation was much weaker, than the average of those plants having similar life histories, as assessed using arbitrary marker systems. We discuss strategies for the genetic conservation of the plum yew in Korea.