- Volume 49 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Cytotoxic Evaluation of the Essential Oils from Korean Native Plant on Human Skin and Lung Cells
- AHN, Changhwan (Laboratory of Veterinary Physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Jeju National University) ;
- YOO, Yeong-Min (Laboratory of Veterinary Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University) ;
- PARK, Mi-Jin (Division of Forest industrial Materials, Department of Forest Products and Industry, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- HAM, Youngseok (Division of Forest industrial Materials, Department of Forest Products and Industry, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- YANG, Jiyoon (Division of Forest industrial Materials, Department of Forest Products and Industry, National Institute of Forest Science) ;
- JEUNG, Eui-Bae (Laboratory of Veterinary Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2021.05.18
- Accepted : 2021.07.12
- Published : 2021.07.25
Plant essential oils are used in products such as fragrances and cosmetics due to their individual aromatic characteristics. Currently, essential oils are not only used in cosmetics but also in pharmaceutical products with anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic, insecticidal, anti-cancer, neuroprotective, psychophysiological, or anti-aging effects. Despite their pharmaceutical properties, some studies reported cytotoxic effects in high doses. Therefore, for pharmaceutical purposes, the margin of safety of essential oils needs to be examined. Herein, we evaluated the IC50 of 10 essential oil from Korean native plants: Juniperus chinensis L. var. sargentii Henry, Citrus natsudaidai Hayata, Citrus reticulata Blanco, Citrus unshiu (Yu. Tanaka ex Swingle) Marcow, Artemisia capillaris Thunb, Aster glehnii F. Schmidt, Juniperus chinensis L, Zanthoxylum schinifolium Siebold & Zucc, Zanthoxylum piperitum (L.) D, and Cinnamomum loureirii. In addition, gene regulation of the cell-cycle gene and apoptosis marker CASP3 was examined at the IC50 level. The purpose of this study was to describe the toxic concentrations of essential oils extracted from Korean native plants, thereby providing toxic concentration guidelines for inclusion in a toxicity database and in the application of plant essential oils in various fields.
- Ahn, C., Lee, J.H., Park, M.J., Kim, J.W., Yang, J., Yoo, Y.M., Jeung, E.B. 2020. Cytostatic effects of plant essential oils on human skin and lung cells. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine 19(3): 2008-2018.
- Ahn, C., Park, M.J., Kim, J.W., Yang, J., Lee, S.S., Jeung, E.B. 2018. Cytotoxic evaluation of plant essential oils in human skin and lung cells. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 46(2): 166-177. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2018.46.2.166
- Bartek, J., Lukas, C., Lukas, J. 2004. Checking on DNA damage in S phase. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 5(10): 792-804. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrm1493
- Baserga, R. 1965. The relationship of the cell cycle to tumor growth and control of cell division: A review. Cancer Research 25: 581-595.
- Borges, F., Roleira, F., Milhazes, N., Santana, L., Uriarte, E. 2005. Simple coumarins and analogues in medicinal chemistry: Occurrence, synthesis and biological activity. Current Medicinal Chemistry 12(8): 887-916. https://doi.org/10.2174/0929867053507315
- Bravo, R., Celis, J.E. 1980. A search for differential polypeptide synthesis throughout the cell cycle of HeLa cells. Journal of Cell Biology 84(3): 795-802. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.84.3.795
- Dolan, M.C., Dietrich, G., Panella, N.A., Montenieri, J.A., Karchesy, J.J. 2007. Biocidal activity of three wood essential oils against Ixodes scapularis (Acari: Ixodidae), Xenopsylla cheopis (Siphonaptera: Pulicidae), and Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 100(2): 622-625. https://doi.org/10.1603/0022-0493(2007)100[622:BAOTWE]2.0.CO;2
- Dolan, M.C., Jordan, R.A., Schulze, T.L., Schulze, C.J., Manning, M.C., Ruffolo, D., Schmidt, J.P., Piesman, J., Karchesy, J.J. 2009. Ability of two natural products, nootkatone and carvacrol, to suppress Ixodes scapularis and Amblyomma americanum (Acari: Ixodidae) in a Lyme disease endemic area of New Jersey. Journal of Economic Entomology 102(6): 2316-2324. https://doi.org/10.1603/029.102.0638
- Edris, A.E. 2007. Pharmaceutical and therapeutic potentials of essential oils and their individual volatile constituents: A review. Phytotherapy Research 21(4): 308-323. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2072
- Elledge, S.J. 1996. Cell cycle checkpoints: Preventing an identity crisis. Science 274(5293): 1664-1672. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.274.5293.1664
- Elshafie, H.S., Camele, I. 2017. An Overview of the Biological Effects of Some Mediterranean Essential Oils on Human Health. BioMed Research International 2017: 9268468.
- Farrar, A.J., Farrar, F.C. 2020. Clinical aromatherapy. Nursing Clinics of North America 55(4): 489-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnur.2020.06.015
- Gerdes, J., Lemke, H., Baisch, H., Wacker, H.H., Schwab, U., Stein, H. 1984. Cell cycle analysis of a cell proliferation-associated human nuclear antigen defined by the monoclonal antibody Ki-67. Journal of Immunology 133(4): 1710-1715.
- Gerlach, S.U., Herranz, H. 2020. Genomic instability and cancer: Lessons from Drosophila. Open Biology 10(6): 200060.
- Ham, Y., Yang, J., Choi, W.S., Ahn, B.J., Park, M.J. 2020. Antibacterial activity of essential oils from pinaceae leaves against fish pathogens. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(4): 527-547. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2020.48.4.527
- Horvath, G., Acs, K. 2015. Essential oils in the treatment of respiratory tract diseases highlighting their role in bacterial infections and their anti-inflammatory action: a review. Flavour and Fragrance Journal 30(5): 331-341. https://doi.org/10.1002/ffj.3252
- Kawamoto, Y., Nakajima, Y.I., Kuranaga, E. 2016. Apoptosis in cellular society: Communication between apoptotic cells and their neighbors. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 17(12): 1-15.
- Lee, S.Y., Lee, D.S., Cho, S.M., Kim, J.C., Park, M.J., Choi, I.G. 2021. Antioxidant properties of 7 domestic essential oils and identification of physiologically active components of essential oils against candida albicans. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 49(1): 23-43.
- Mahmoud, S.S., Croteau, R.B. 2002. Strategies for transgenic manipulation of monoterpene biosynthesis in plants. Trends in Plant Science 7(8): 366-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-1385(02)02303-8
- Min, H.J., Kim, C.S., Hyun, H.J., Bae, Y.S. 2017. Essential oil analysis of illicium anistum L. extracts. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(6): 682-688. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2017.45.6.682
- Mohammadhosseini, M., Sarker, S.D., Akbarzadeh, A. 2017. Chemical composition of the essential oils and extracts of Achillea species and their biological activities: A review. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 199: 257-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2017.02.010
- Pagano, M., Pepperkok, R., Verde, F., Ansorge, W., Draetta, G. 1992. Cyclin A is required at two points in the human cell cycle. EMBO J 11(3): 961-971. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1460-2075.1992.tb05135.x
- Peter, M., Herskowitz, I. 1994. Joining the complex: cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitory proteins and the cell cycle. Cell 79(2): 181-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(94)90186-4
- Prabuseenivasan, S., Jayakumar, M., Ignacimuthu, S. 2006. In vitro antibacterial activity of some plant essential oils. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 6(39): 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-6-1
- Pujiarti, R., Kasmudjo, 2016. Chemical compositions and insecticidal activity of eucalyptus urophylla essential oil against culex quinquefasciatus mosquito. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 44(4): 494-504. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.4.494
- Rogero, S.O., Malmonge, S.M., Lugao, A.B., Ikeda, T.I., Miyamaru, L., Cruz, A.S. 2003. Biocompatibility study of polymeric biomaterials. Artif Organs 27(5): 424-427. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1594.2003.07249.x
- Schausberger, P. 2018. Herbivore-associated bacteria as potential mediators and modifiers of induced plant defense against spider mites and thrips. Frontiers in Plant Science 9: 1107.
- Schittny, J.C., Djonov, V., Fine, A., Burri, P.H. 1998. Programmed cell death contributes to postnatal lung development. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology 18(6): 786-793. https://doi.org/10.1165/ajrcmb.18.6.3031
- Wang, X.W., Zhan, Q., Coursen, J.D., Khan, M.A., Kontny, H.U., Yu, L., Hollander, M.C., O'Connor, P.M., Fornace Jr, A.J., Harris, C.C. 1999. GADD45 induction of a G2/M cell cycle checkpoint. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America 96(7): 3706-3711. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.96.7.3706
- Yang, J., Choi, W.S., Kim, J.W., Lee, S.S., Park M.J. 2019. Anti-inflammatory effect of essential oils extracted from wood of four coniferous tree species. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(6): 674-691. https://doi.org/10.5658/wood.2019.47.6.674