- Volume 49 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Preprocessing Miscanthus sacchariflorus with Combination System of Cone Grinder and Air Classifier
- LEE, Hyoung-Woo (College of Agriculture and Life Science, Chonnam National University) ;
- EOM, Chang-Deuk (Division of Wood Industry, National Institute of Forest Science)
- Received : 2021.04.26
- Accepted : 2021.06.09
- Published : 2021.07.25
Considerable differences exist in the characteristics of size reduction and classification because of biomass species. Miscanthus sacchariflorus (M. sacchariflorus) Goedae-Uksae 1 is not used efficiently because of the imperfections of the processing technology for this biomass. Therefore, for the best use of specific biomass, improvement in the feedstock preparation of the biomass for processing, such as pellet manufacturing, is necessary. In this study, a laboratory-scale cone grinder and air classifier were designed and combined to investigate the performance of the combination system for M. sacchariflorus. The average equivalent spherical diameter of particles showed a close relationship with air velocity for air classification. The air velocity range to classify proper particles for pelletization was determined to be 6.0-6.8 m/s. The mass ratios of the collected particles to feed mass for four lengths of chopped M. sacchariflorus were 45.1%:46.1%, 39.1%:46.6%, and 44.1%:52.8% at the first, second, and third steps in simulating the multistep combination system, respectively.
- Ferreira, T., Rasband, W. 2012. Image J user guide book. National Institutes of Health, USA.
- Hwang, H.W., Oh, S.Y., Kim, J.Y., Lee, S.M., Cho, T.S., Choi, J.W. 2012. Effect of particle size and moisture content of woody biomass on the feature of pyrolytic products. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 40(6): 445-453. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2012.40.6.445
- Jang, J.H., Kwon, G.J., Kim, J.H., Kwon, S.M., Yoon, S.L., Kim, N.H. 2012. Preparation of cellulose nanofibers from domestic plantation resources. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 40(3): 156-163. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2012.40.3.156
- Jang, J.H., Lee, S.H., Kim, N.H. 2014. Preparation of lignocellulose nanofibers from Korean white pine and its application to polyurethane nanocomposite. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 42(6): 700-707. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.6.700
- Ju, Y.M., Lee, H.W., Kim, A.R., Jeong, H.S., Chea, K.S., Lee, J.J., Ahn, B.J., Lee, S.M. 2020. Characteristics of carbonized biomass produced in a manufaturing process of wood charcoal briquettes using an open hearth kiln. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(2): 181-195. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2020.48.2.181
- Kadsiuliene, Z., Jasinskas, A., Zinkevicius, R., Makareviciene, V., Sarunaite, L., Tilvikiene, V., Slepetys, J. 2014. Miscanthus biomass quality composition and methods of feedstock preparation for conversion into synthetic diesel fuel. Zemdirbyste- Agriculture 101(1): 27-34. https://doi.org/10.13080/z-a.2014.101.004
- Kim, A.R., Kim, N.H. 2019. Effect of heat treatment and particle size on the crystalline properties of wood cellulose. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(3): 299-310. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2019.47.3.299
- Kim, H.J., Cho, E.J., Lee, K.H., Kim, S.B., Bae, H.J. 2011. Popping pretreatment for enzymatic hydrolysis of waste wood. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 39(1): 95-103.
- Lee, H.W., Lee, J.W., Gong, S.H., Song, Y.S. 2018. Study on the size reduction characteristics of via image processing. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 46(4): 309-314. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2018.46.4.309
- Lee, M., Jeong, S.H., Mun, S.P. 2020. Conditions for the extraction of polyphenols from radiata pine (Pinus radiata) bark for bio-foam preparation. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(6): 861-868. https://doi.org/10.5658/wood.2020.48.6.861
- Mills, D. 2004. Pneumatic conveying design guide: 2nd edition. Elsevier Butterworth- Heinemann, Oxford, U.K.
- Miu, P.I., Womac, A.R., Cannayen, I., Sokhansanj, S. 2006. Analysis of biomass comminution and separation processes in rotary equipment - A review. Proceedings on 2006 ASABE Annual International Meeting, Portland, Oregon, 9-12 July, 2006.
- Naimi, L.J., Sokhansanj, S., Mani, S., Hoque, M., Bi. T. 2006. Cost and performance of woody biomass size reduction for energy production. Proceedings of CSBE/SCGAB 2006 Annual Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Park, C.W., Lee, S.H., Han, S.Y., Kim, B.Y., Jang, J.H., Kim, N.H., Lee, S.H. 2015. Effect of different delignification degrees of Korean white pine wood on filtration efficiency and tensile properties of nanopaper. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(1): 17-24. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.1.17
- Seo, J.W., Gang, G.W., Jo, G.H., Park, H. 2018. Study on the physical and mechanical properties of particleboard and oriented strandboard manufactured by Tulliptree(Liriodendron tulipifera L.). Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 46(1): 67-72. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2018.46.1.67
- Yang, I., Jeong, H.S., Lee, J.J., Lee, S.M. 2019. Relationship between lignin content and the durability of wood pellets fabricated using Larix kaempferi C. sawdust. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(1): 110-123.
- Yang, Y. 2007. Image and sieve analysis of biomass particle sizes and separation after size reduction. Mater Theses, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA.
- Womac, A.R., Igathinathane, C., Bitra, P., Miu, P., Yang, T., Sokhansanj, S., Narayan, S. 2007. Biomass pre-processing size reduction with instrumented mills. 2007 ASABE Annual International Meeting Presentation, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
- Zhang, M. 2014. Size reduction of cellulosic biomass for biofuel manufacturing. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering, College of Engineering, Kansas State University, USA.