- Volume 49 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Bending Strength of Board Manufactured from Sawdust, Rice Husk and Charcoal
톱밥과 왕겨 및 숯을 이용하여 제조한 보드의 휨성능
- HWANG, Jung-Woo (Department of Wood Science & Technology, Jeonbuk National University) ;
- OH, Seung-Won (Department of Wood Science & Technology, Jeonbuk National University)
- Received : 2020.12.23
- Accepted : 2021.06.02
- Published : 2021.07.25
Purpose of this study is reviewing the use method for the sawdust (sawmilling by-product) and rice husk (Agriculture by-product) by adding charcoal, an eco-friendly material. Mixed composite boards were manufactured with those materials with each density and mixing ratio, and bending performance was investigated. When the addition ratio of sawdust, rice husk and charcoal is 50:20:20 and the resin addition ratio is 10%, as the density of the prepared mixed board ranges from 0.5 g/cm3 to 0.7 g/cm3, the bending strength was 0.42~3.24 N/mm2, dynamic modulus of elasticity was 94.5~888.4 N/mm2, and the static modulus of elasticity was in the range of 31.4~220.7 N/mm2. As the density increased, the bending performance increased, indicating that the density had a significant effect on the bending performance. In a board prepared by setting the density of 0.6 g/cm3, the addition ratio of sawdust to 50%, and the addition ratio of rice husk and charcoal at different ratios, the bending performance showed a tendency to decrease as the addition ratio of charcoal increased. The relationship between the addition ratio of rice husk and charcoal, bending strength, resonance frequency, and dynamic and static bending modulus showed a rather low correlation with the values of the coefficient of determination (R2) of 0.4562, 0.4310, 0.4589, and 0.5847, respectively. Thus, we found that the effect of the addition ratio on the bending performance was small.
본 연구에서는 제재부산물인 톱밥과 농업부산물인 왕겨의 이용방안을 검토하고자 친환경재료인 숯을 첨가하여 밀도별, 혼합비율별로 혼합보드를 제조하고 휨성능을 조사하여 다음과 같은 결과를 얻었다. 톱밥과 왕겨 및 숯의 첨가율을 50:20:20, 수지첨가율을 10%로하여 밀도별로 제조한 혼합보드의 밀도가 0.5 g/cm3에서 0.7 g/cm3로 증가할수록 휨강도는 0.42~3.24 N/mm2, 동적탄성계수는 94.5~888.4 N/mm2 그리고 정적탄성계수는 31.4~220.7 N/mm2의 범위를 나타내, 밀도가 증가할수록 휨성능이 증가하여 밀도가 휨성능에 크게 영향을 끼쳤다. 밀도 0.6 g/cm3, 톱밥첨가율을 50%로 하고, 왕겨와 숯의 첨가율을 달리하여 제조한 보드에서 숯의 첨가율이 증가할수록 휨성능이 감소하는 경향을 나타냈다. 왕겨 및 숯의 첨가율과 휨강도, 공진주파수, 동적 및 정적 휨 탄성계수사이의 관계는 결정계수의 값(R2)은 각각 0.4562, 0.4310, 0.4589, 0.5847으로 다소 낮은 상관관계를 나타내 첨가율이 휨성능에 끼치는 영향은 적은 것을 알 수 있었다.
- Ahn, B.J., Jo, T.S., Lee, S.S., Paik, K.H., Kim, S.I. 2009. Utilization of charcoal as an environmentally friendly building materials(I): Characterization of building materials prepared with charcoal. Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 37(6): 537-545.
- Baek, I.H., Bin, H.S., Kim, T.Y., Nam, K.C. 1998. The manufacture of activated carbon from agricultural by-products and their adsorption performance for the organics. Journal of Korean Society of environmental Engineers 20(10): 1485-1493.
- Hwang, J.W., Oh, S.W. 2017. Physical and mechanical properties of board made from carbonized rice husk. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(1): 62-71. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2017.45.1.62
- Hwang, J.W., Oh, S.W. 2020a. Properties of board manufactured from sawdust, ricehusk and charcoal. Journal of Korean wood science and technology 48(1): 61-75. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2020.48.1.61
- Hwang, J.W., Oh, S.W. 2020b. Mechanical performances of boards made from carbonized rice husk and sawdust: The effect of resin and sawdust addition ratio. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(5): 696-709 https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2020.48.5.696
- Hwang, J.W., Oh, S.W. 2019. Change of surface temperature and far-infrared emissivity in ceramics manufactured from a board mixed with sawdust and mandarin peel. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(1): 66-79. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2019.47.1.66
- Jamaludin, M.A., Bahari S.A., Zakaria, M.N., Saipolbahri, N.S. 2020. Influence of rice straw, bagasse, and their combination on the properties of binderless particleboard. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(1): 22-31. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2020.48.1.22
- Ju, S.G., Roh, J.K. 2019. The dyeing properties of woody fiber regenerated from waste MDF by reactive dyes. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(2): 163-177. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2019.47.2.163
- Ju, S.G., Roh, J.K. 2020. Manufacturing regenerated woody dyed fiber from waste MDF using natural dyes. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(2): 154-165. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2020.48.2.154
- Jung, S.Y., Yeom, D.H., Kong, R.K., Shin, G.G., Lee, K.S., Byeon, H.S. 2020. Sound absorption property of the leaves of two evergreen broad-leaved tree species, dendropanax morbiferus and fatsia japonica. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(5): 631-640. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2020.48.5.631
- Jin, T., Kang, C.W., Oh, S.W., Hwang, J.W. 2015. Effect of density and mixing ratio of mandarin peels on the bending performance of sawdust-mandarin peels particleboard. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(3): 364-373. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.3.364
- Kang, C.W., Lee, N.H., Jang, S.S., Kang, H.Y. 2019. Sound absorption coefficient and sound transmission loss of rice hull mat. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(3): 290-298. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2019.47.3.290
- Kang, C.W., Lee, E.S., Jang, S.S., Kang, H.Y., Kang, S.G., Oh, S.C. 2019. Sound absorption rate and sound transmission loss of wood bark particle. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(4): 425-441. https://doi.org/10.5658/wood.2019.47.4.425
- Kataoka, A., Ono, T. 1975. The relations of experimental factors to the vibration and the measuring values of dynamic mechanical properties of wood I. The experimental errors due to the measuring apparatus. Mokuzai Gakkaishi 21: 543-550.
- Kim, I.B., Kim, Y.G. 2001. Recycling evaluation of rice-hull and sawdust using carborization. Journal of korean Society of Environmental Administration 7(3): 439-443.
- Kim, G.C. 2017. A study on the strength properties of board using the carbonized rice husks to develop a structural insulation. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(5): 511-518. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2017.45.5.511
- Korea Forest Service. 2020. Statistical yearbook of forestry.
- Ministry of Environment. 2008. Classification and recycling standards for waste wood.
- Oh, S.W. 2003. Physical and mechanical properties of sawdust board made of thinning logs(II): The effect of density and additive quantity of powder phenolic resin. Mokchae Konghak 31(3): 17-23.
- Piao, J.J. 2004. Physical and mechanical properties of ceramics from a board mixed with sawdust and rice husk. Jeonbuk National University master's thesis.
- Park, S.B., Lee, S.M., Park, J.Y., Kang, E.C. 2007. Properties and formaldehyde emission of particleboard fabricated with waste wood charcoal. Journal of the Korean Society of Furniture Design and Technology 18(3): 205-210.
- Park, H.M., Heo, H.S., Sung, E.J., Nam, K.H., Lim, J.S. 2013. Effect of the kind and content of raw materials on mechanical performances of hybrid composite boards composed of green tea, charcoals and wood fiber. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 41(1): 64-76. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2013.41.1.64
- Park, H.M., Heo, H.S., Sung, E.J., Nam, K.H., Lim, J.S., Byeon, H.S. 2012. Effect of the kind and content of raw materials on dynamic modulus of elasticity of hybrid composite boards composed of green tea, charcoals and wood fiber. Journal of Agriculture & Life Science 46(6): 75-86.
- Park, H.M., Lee, S.K., Seok, J.H., Choi, N.K., Kwon, C.B., Heo, H.S., Byeon, H.S., Yang, J.K., Kim, J.C. 2011. Effect of green tea content on dynamic modulus of elasticity of hybrid boards composed of green tea and wood fibers, and prediction of static bending strength performances by flexural vibration test. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 39(6): 538-547. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2011.39.6.538
- Park, S.B., Park, J.S. 2011. Combustion characteristics of bamboo charcoal boards. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 40(1): 19-25. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2012.40.1.19
- Prabuningrum, D.S., Massijaya, M.Y., Hadi, Y.S., Abdillah, I.B. 2020. Physical-Mechanical Properties of Laminated Board Made from Oil Palm Trunk (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) Waste with Various Lamina Compositions and Densifications. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(2): 196-205. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2020.48.2.196
- Seo, I.S. 2014. Manufacture and performance evaluation of charcoal board and carbon fiber using wood waste. Chungnam National University PhD thesis.