- Volume 49 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Wood Extract as a Water-Soluble Fertilizer in the Growth of Lactuca sativa
- JUNG, Ji Young (Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- HA, Si Young (Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- YANG, Jae-Kyung (Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2021.05.06
- Accepted : 2021.07.12
- Published : 2021.07.25
Recently, due to environmental and toxicity issues, there has been increasing attention on research regarding natural products that can reduce the use of chemical fertilizers. Wood extracts derived from the biorefining process contain various fertilizer ingredients. HPLC analysis revealed that wood extract contains approximately 5.2% hemicellulosic sugar. The growth of lettuce (Lactuca sativa) upon treatment with wood extract (extract obtained from steam-exploded pine) or water-soluble fertilizers containing different nutrients was analyzed in this study. After two weeks, the growth characteristics of lettuce as affected by wood extract or water-soluble fertilizers were significantly different. The effect of water-soluble fertilizers containing ascorbic acid, magnesium sulfate, citric acid, potassium nitrate, amino acids, or seaweed extract was less desirable than that of wood extracts regarding plant height (18.6 cm), number of leaves (10), leaf length (14.1 cm), shoot fresh wight (9.8 g/plant), root fresh weight (0.8 g/plant) and shoot dry weight (0.6 g/plant). The plant height, number of leaves, leaf length, shoot fresh wight, root fresh weight, shoot dry weight of water-soluble fertilizers containing wood extract were significantly different compared to the control (plant height :13.5 cm, number of leaves : 7, leaf length : 9.4 cm, shoot fresh wight : 5.3 g/plant, root fresh weight : 0.7 g/plant, shoot dry weight : 0.4 g/plant, root dry weight : 0.07 g/plant). From these results, it was concluded that wood extract can be used as a potential water-soluble fertilizer to increase the yield of leafy vegetables.
- Alvira, P., Tomas-Pejo, E., Ballesteros, M., Negro, M.J. 2010. Pretreatment technologies for an efficient bioethanol production process based on enzymatic hydrolysis: A review. Bioresource Technology 101(13):4851-4861. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.11.093
- Cai, J., He, Y., Yu, X., Banks, S.W., Yang, Y., Zhang, X., Yu, Y., Liu, R., Bridgwaterb, A.V. 2017. Review of physicochemical properties and analytical characterization of lignocellulosic biomass. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 76:309-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.03.072
- Cherubini, F. 2010. The biorefinery concept: Using biomass instead of oil for producing energy and chemicals. Energy Conversion and Management 51(7): 1412-1421. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.01.015
- De Bari, I., Viola, E., Barisano, D., Cardinale, M., Nanna, F., Zimbardi, F., Cardinale, G., Braccio, G. 2002. Ethanol production at flask and pilot scale from concentrated slurries of steam exploded aspen. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 41(7): 1745-1753. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie010571f
- Dupont, M.S., Mondi, Z., Willamson, G., Price, K.R. 2000. Effect of variety, processing, and storage on the flavonoid glycoside and composition of lettuce and endive. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 48(9): 3957-3964. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0002387
- Hoel, B.O., Solhaug, K.A. 1998. Effect of irradiance on chlorophyll estimation with the Minolta SPAD-502 leaf chlorophyll meter. Annals of Botany 82(3): 389-392. https://doi.org/10.1006/anbo.1998.0683
- Jung, J.Y., Yang, J.K. 2016. Enhancing enzymatic digestibility of Miscanthus sinensis using steam explosion coupled with chemicals. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 44(2): 218-230. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.2.218
- Jung, J.Y., Yang, J.K. 2018. A two-stage process for increasing the yield of prebiotic-rich extract from Pinus densiflora. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 46(4): 380-392. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2018.46.4.380
- Jung, J.Y., Yang, Ha, S.Y., Yang, J.K. 2019. Effect of water-impregnation on steam explosion of Pinus densiflora. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(2): 189-199. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2019.47.2.189
- Kim, H.Y., Gwak, K.S., Jang, S.K., Ryu, K.O., Yeo, H.M., Choi, I.G. 2015. Organosolv pretreatment of slurry composting and biofiltration of liquid fertilizer-treated yellow poplar for sugar production. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(5): 578-590. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.5.578
- Kim, I.S., Kim, S.J., Lee, J.Y., Lee, J.S. 2005. The effect of vermicast on the growth of vegetable plants-estimation of optimum mixture ratios of vermicast. Korean Journal of Organic Agriculture 13(4): 413-422.
- Kim, J.S., Jung, J.Y., Ha, S.Y., Yang, J.K. 2019. Effects of the physicochemical properties of lignocellulosic artificial soil containing Bacillus subtilis on the growth of Lespedeza cyrtobotrya. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(4): 393-407. https://doi.org/10.5658/wood.2019.47.4.393
- Lee, H.W., Jeong, H.S., Ju, Y.M., Youe, W.J., Lee, J.J., Lee, S.M. 2019. Pyrolysis properties of lignins extracted from different biorefinery processes. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(4): 486-497. https://doi.org/10.5658/wood.2019.47.4.486
- Lee, M., Jeong, S.H., Mun, S.P. 2020. Conditions for the extraction of polyphenols from Radiata Pine (Pinus radiata) bark for bio-Foam preparation. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(6): 861-868. https://doi.org/10.5658/wood.2020.48.6.861
- Lee, S.Y., Kim, W.T., Ju, J.H., Yoon, Y.H. 2013. Effect of Calcium Chloride Concentration on Roadside Ground Cover Plant Growth. Journal of Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 41(4): 17-23. https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2013.41.4.017
- Li, J., Henriksson, G., Gellerstedt. 2007. Lignin depolymerization/repolymerization and its critical role for delignification of aspen wood by steam explosion. Bioresource Technology 98(16): 3061-3068. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.10.018
- Malhotra, S.K. 2016. Water soluble fertilizers in horticultural crops-An appraisal. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 86(10): 1245-56.
- Min, H.J., Kim, E.J., Shinn, S.W., Bae, Y.S. 2019. Antidiabetic Activities of Korean Red Pine (Pinus densiflora) Inner Bark Extracts. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(4): 498-508. https://doi.org/10.5658/wood.2019.47.4.498
- Nicolle, C., Carnat, A., Fraisse, D., Lamaison, J.L., Rock, E., Michel. H., Amouroux, P., Remesy, C. 2004. Characterisation and variation of antioxidant micronutrients in lettuce (Lactuca sativa folium). Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 84(15): 2061-2069 https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1916
- Noh, S.W., Park, J.S., Kim, S.J., Kim, D.W., Kang, W.S. 2020. Effect of Plasma-activated water Process on the growth and functional substance content of Lettuce during the cultivation period in a deep flow technique system. Protected Horticulture and Plant Factory 29(4): 464-472. https://doi.org/10.12791/KSBEC.2020.29.4.464
- Rajput, T.B.S., Patel, N. 2002. Water Soluble FertilizersOpportunities and Challenges. FAI Annual seminar, December 2002 pp. SII-3/1-9.
- Shehata, S.M., Abdel-Azem, Heba.S., Abou El-Yazied, A., El-Gizawy, A.M. 2011. Effect of foliar spraying with amino acids and seaweed extract on growth chemical constitutes, yield and its quality of celeriac plant. European Journal of Scientific Research 58(2): 257-265.
- Shirgure, P.S., Srivastava, A.K. 2014. Fertigation in perennial fruit crops: Major concerns. Agrotechnol 3(1): http://dx.dol.org/10.4172/2168-9881.1000e109 (Editorial).
- Shoulaifar, K.T., DeMartini, N., Willfor, S., Pranovich, A., Smeds, A.I., Virtanen, T.A.P., Maunu, SL., Verhoeff, F., Kiel, J.H., Hupa, M. 2014. Impact of torrefaction on the chemical structure of birch wood. Energy Fuels 28: 3863-3872. https://doi.org/10.1021/ef5004683
- Sluiter, A., Hames, B., Ruiz, R., Scarlata, C., Sluiter, J., Templeton, D. 2005. National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Standard Biomass Analytical Procedures. Available from: www.nrel.gov/biomass/analyticalprocedures.html.
- Sun, R., Sun, X.F., Liu, G.Q., Fowler, P., Tomkinson, J. 2002. Structural and physicochemical characterization of hemicelluloses isolated by alkaline peroxide from barley straw. Polymer International 51(2):117-124. https://doi.org/10.1002/pi.815
- Yi, Y.S., Cho, H.J., Heo, J.Y., Lee, Y.H. 2019. Effects of wood-derived biochar application on soil chemical properties and growth of Lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.). Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 52(4): 457-466.