- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Characteristics of Functional Outers with Moisture-permeable Waterproof Fabric - Focus on Fabrics, Washing·Cares, Design, Patterns, Subsidiary Materials, and Sewing -
투습방수 직물을 사용한 기능성 아우터의 특성 분석 - 소재, 세탁·취급, 디자인, 패턴, 부자재, 봉제를 중심으로 -
- Received : 2020.11.04
- Accepted : 2021.02.11
- Published : 2021.02.28
This study investigated fabrics, washing and cares, design, pattern, subsidiary materials, and sewing methods with a focus on the functional outers using moisture-permeable waterproof fabric as a shell; in addition, each element was analyzed for differences depending on fabric type. The characteristics of 34 outers were investigated through labels, online product introductions, visual inspection, observations from two experts with more than 30 years experience and wear tests. Moisture-permeable waterproof fabrics used for the outer were classified into two types; in addition, the shell of the high-density fabric and the 2 & 3-layer fabrics had different characteristics. Various fabrics, detailed designs, and three-dimensional patterns suitable for each part of the human body were used to improve functionality. In addition, various subsidiary materials and sewing methods were used to form an organic relationship. The same washing and cares, patterns and subsidiary materials were used regardless of fabric type; however, the fabric type influenced the detailed design and sewing. The outers with high-density fabric had a loose fit, short placket, e-banded cuffs, lock-stitch, and lock-stitch+binding. However, the outer with 2 & 3 layer fabric had a slim fit, hood width adjustment, zippered pockets, cuffs with tab, seamless adhesive sewing such as laminating, lock-stitch+ seam-sealing, and welding.
- Aldrich, W. (2006). Metric pattern cutting for menswear(4th ed.). Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
- American Society for Testing and Materials. (2018). ASTM D5489-18:2018. Standard guide for care symbols for care instructions on textile products. Pennsylvania: West Conshohocken: ASTM International.
- American Society for Testing and Materials. (2020). ASTM D6193-16:2020. Standard practice for stitches and seams. Pennsylvania: West Conshohocken: ASTM International.
- Choi, H. S., Park, J. H., Lee, K. M., Do, W. H., & Kim, E. K. (2001). Active sportwear design. Seoul: Suhaksa.
- Choi, J. Y. (2009). A study of the down jacket pattern for the outdoor women. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- DryventTM. (2020). Northface. Retrieved January 6, 2020, from https://www.thenorthface.com/about-us/technology-innovation/technology/dryvent.html
- Gore-Text Outer. (2020). GORE-TEX. Retrieved January 6, 2020, from https://www.gore-tex.co.kr/outerwear#sec-outerwear-technologies
- Harper, R. (2001). Sewing outdoor gear - Easy techniques for outerdoor wear that works. Newtown, CT: Taunton Press.
- Hong, K. H., Park, K. S., Kwon, A. H., Song, Y. S., Oh S. H., & Jeung Y. M. (1996). Functional design process of coveralls for the improvement of mobility. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 20(2), 311-322.
- Hyun, S. J., & Lee, J. S. (2017). A study on the detergency and functionality of laminating finished fabrics for outdoor wear by repeated washing. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 41(3), 527-536. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2017.41.3.527 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2017.41.3.527
- International Organization for Standardization.(2012). ISO 3758: 2012. Textiles - Care labeling code using symbols.
- International Organization for Standardization. (1991). ISO 4915:1991. Textiles - Stitch types - Classification and terminology.
- Johnston, M., & Koo, H. (2016). Apparel design for female rock climbers - Satisfactions and preferences. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 10(3), 300-307. doi: 10.1080/17543266.2016.1223755 https://doi.org/10.1080/17543266.2016.1223755
- 'K2 Fishing 3 in 1 Jacket 3R'. (2019). K2. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from http://www.k2.co.kr/k2/ko/p/KMU19117C8
- Kim, N. Y., Wu, Y. J., & Hong, K. (2015). Design of 3D compression upper wear based on skin deformation during arm abduction. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 24(5), 687-700. doi:10.5934/kjhe.2015.24.5.687 https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2015.24.5.687
- Kim, S. R. (2009). Textiles. Seoul: Kyomunsa.
- Kim, T. G., Park, S. J., Park, J. W., Suh, C. Y., & Choi, S. (2012). Technical design of tight upper sportswear based on 3D scanning technology and stretch property of knitted fabric. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 14(2), 277-285. doi:10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.2.277 https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.2.277
- 'Kolon sport JWJZW19101BLK man gore expert 3L jacket'. (2019). Kolonmall. Retrieved December 27, 2019, from https://www.kolonmall.com/Product/JKJJA19452KHA.
- Korea Outdoor & Sport Industry Association. (2017). Industry and report - Advanced premium outdoor product analysis - 17 S/S, Korea.
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. (2018). KS K 0021: 2018. Textiles - Care labeling code using symbols. Seoul: Korean Standards Association.
- Lee, B. O., Pak, P. K., Kim, H. C., Cheong, Y. S., & Lee, H. S. (1997). Water repellent finish for divided type PET/nylon fabrics with fluoro alkyl resin. Journal of the Korean Society of Dyers and Finishers, 9(4), 1-6.
- Lee, E. H. (2009). A development of outdoor wear to be wearable as townwear: for women of their 20s and 30s. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Women University, Seoul.
- Lee, E. J., & Park, J. S. (1996). A study on the change of waist pattern by upper limb motion - By the method of tight fitting technique. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 20(1), 113-127.
- Lee, J. R. (2014). Eco-friendly smart outdoor jacket production and usability evaluation. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 38(6), 845-856. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2014.38.6.845
- Lee, Y. W., Seo, M. J., Seo, I. K., & Kim, Y. I. (2013). The characteristic of a functional design for a commercial outdoorwear jacket. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 63(7), 1-16. doi:10.7233/jksc.2013.63.7.001 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2013.63.7.001
- Oh, J. Y. (2010). A study on the one-piece dress pattern development according to the stretch rate of circular knitted fabric. Unpublished master's thesis, Mokpo National University, Mokpo.
- Park, J. K. (2014). Sweat and soil, clean laundry is difficult due to dry cleaning. Environment daliy. Retrieved December 17, 2019, from http://www.hkbs.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=310694
- Park, M. Y. (2016, February 14). Outdoor industry "break the recession with athleisure look" The digitaltimes. Retrieved December 18, 2020, from http://www.dt.co.kr/contents.html?article_no=2016021502100976798002
- Park, S., & Lee, Y. (2019). Evaluation of mobility and appearance according to gusset size of bodice and sleeve pattern. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 21(4), 468-479. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2019.21.4.468 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2019.21.4.468
- Park, W. M., Park, C. D., Lee, G. R., & Ra, J. E. (2002). Design process of outdoor-wear for improvement of comfort and appearance, Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 52(8), 29-39.
- Park, Y. J., & Hwang, J. S. (2012). Use and purchase behavior of climbing wear based on the consumer's lifestyles, Journal of Korea Design Forum, 35(35), 291-307. doi:10.21326/ksdt.2012.35.026 https://doi.org/10.21326/ksdt.2012.35.026
- Rho, Y. H., & Park, H. S. (2014). Smart wear - Development trends in comfort functional textile materials for outdoor sportswear. Fashion information and Technology, 11, 41-49.
- Roh, E. K. (2011). Changes in comfort of outdoor and inner wear by repeated laundering. Proceedings of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, Spring Conference, Korea, pp.78-81.
- Roh, E. K., & Oh, K. W. (2015). Hand and preference evaluation of laminated waterproof breathable fabric. Fashion & Textile Research Journal. 17(5), 854-861. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.5.854 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.5.854
- Roh, E. K., Han J. E., & Kim, E. A. (2010). Changes in moisture permeability and waterproofness of high-density fabric by repeated laundering and condition. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(11), 1798-1811. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.11.1798
- Park, K. S., & Ryu, S. A. (2005). Appropriate ease of men's snowboard upper wear. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 29(2), 254-266.
- Song, M. K., & Park, S. J. (1998) Functional wear. Seoul: Soohaksa.
- Vokac, Z., Kopke, V., & Keul, P. (1973). Assessment and analysis of the bellows ventilaion of clothing. Textile Research Journal, 43, 474-482. https://doi.org/10.1177/004051757304300806
- 'Zipper & slider, type of zipper function'. (2019). YKK. Retrieved December 19, 2019, from https://www.ykkkorea.com/product/dict/zipper_slider/fnc