- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development and Evaluation of the Korean Army's Ergonomic Flight Jacket
인간공학적 육군 비행재킷의 개발 및 평가
- Choi, Hee Eun (Dong-seoul University Industry-Academic Cooperation Foundation) ;
- Choi, Kueng-mi (Dept. of Fashion Design, Dong-seoul University)
- Received : 2020.12.02
- Accepted : 2020.12.31
- Published : 2021.02.28
This study used a preliminary survey to help develop an ergonomic flight jacket that is suitable for the working environment and mission performance. The results are as follows. The ergonomic sleeve pattern was designed with a forward 165° incline that considers a shoulder joint direction suitable for the motion; in addition, a closely design opening provided warmth and safety from fire. As a result of the dimensional suitability, pilots evaluated that sleeve length and total length of the developed flight jacket were a little long (p<.01), while flight engineers and crew evaluated that those of the developed flight jacket were appropriate (p<.01). Pilots evaluated that chest circumference and waist circumference were large (p<.05), while flight engineers and crews evaluated that those of the developed flight jacket were appropriate. The evaluation of the motion suitability indicated that pilots, flight engineers and crew found the developed flight jacket more comfortable than the current flight jacket (p<.05, p<.01, p<.001). The evaluation of the usability of pockets and penholders indicated that pilots, flight engineers and crew found the developed jacket easier to use (p<.01). The flight engineers and crew evaluated that the appearance of the developed flight jacket was better than the current flight jacket (p<.05). The results of this study show that the difference of environment and mission performance has a significant influence on evaluation; therefore, it is necessary to develop separate military uniforms that included a winter flight jacket to reflect the needs of each group.
- Choi, H. E. (2020). Development of ergonomic jacket patterns for the Korean Army's tracked vehicle crew. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Choi, H. E., & Choi, K. M. (2020). A comparative study on preference of the Korean army's flight jacket according to working environment. Fashion and Textile Research Journal, 22(6), 844-852. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2020.22.6.844 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2020.22.6.844
- Han, H. S., Han, H. J., Cho, J. Y., & Koh, J. S. (2016). Satisfaction on fitness and motion suitability of Korean male military winter jacket. Fashion and Textile Research Journal, 18(5), 685-694. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2019.21.6.776 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2019.21.6.776
- Han, S. A., & Nam, Y. J. (2008). An exploratory study on domestic and international protective clothing standard - Focused on ISO, ASTM, CEN, KS. Fashion and Textile Research Journal, 10(1), 92-100.
- Hong, S. A. (2002). 3D anthropometry for the development of protective clothing systems. Journal of Korean Living Environment system, 9(4), 321-326.
- Hong, S. A. (2004). Application of standards and evaluation for the development of protective clothing systems. Journal of Korean Living Environment system, 11(1), 1-14.
- Im, G. B., & Park, J. H. (2017). A study on the functional sleeve pattern of sports climbing wear. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 41(4), 585-598. doi:10.5850/jksct.2017.41.4.585 https://doi.org/10.5850/jksct.2017.41.4.585
- Jeong, M. A. (2014). Development of a pattern for military winter uniform tops considering size and motion appropriateness. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Jung, K. S., & Kwon, M. S. (2004). Protective clothing. Fiber Technology and Industry, 8(4), 421-431.
- Kim, S. Y., & Lee, J. Y. (2016). Development of firefighting performance test drills while wearing personal protective equipment. Fire Science & Engineering, 30(1), 138-148. doi:10.7731/KIFSE.2016.30.1.138 https://doi.org/10.7731/KIFSE.2016.30.1.138
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. (2015). The 7th Size Korea 3D scan & measurement technology report. Seoul: Government Printing Office.
- Koike, J. (1997). Sleeve(H. J. Lee, Trans.). Seoul: Yehaksa.
- Korea Federation of Textile Industries. (2013). 차세대 국방섬유 기술개발 협력사업 [Next generation national defense fibers technology development project]. Gwacheon: Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy.
- Lee, A. L. (2016). Development of a ROKAF fighter pilot's flight duty uniform. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Lee, H. H., Shin, S. R., Kim, Y. B., Park, S. J., & Lee, J. Y. (2016). Evaluation of mobility and physiological performance while wearing the present Korean navy summer uniform and prototype. Journal of Korean Living Environment system, 23(6), 853-867. doi:10.21086/ksles.2016.12.23.6.853 https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2016.12.23.6.853
- Lee, J. H. (2012). Development of evaluation standards and a pattern for combat uniforms according to combat training motions. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Lee, S. J., Choi, Y. L., & Nam, Y. J. (2012). Development and evaluation of air force mechanic parka to enhance the functions and insulation. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 14(2), 294-303. doi:10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.2.294 https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.2.294