- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Design Development Process for Clothing of Upper Limb Assistive Wearable Soft Robot
상지 보조 소프트로봇의 의복화를 위한 디자인 개발 프로세스
- Hong, Yuhwa (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design, Seoul National University) ;
- Park, Juyeon (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design, Seoul National University) ;
- Nam, Yun Ja (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design, Seoul National University) ;
- Park, Daegeun (Advanced Robotics, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologi) ;
- Cho, Kyu-Jin (Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engine, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Youn Joo (Dept. of Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2020.10.27
- Accepted : 2021.01.29
- Published : 2021.02.28
This study proposes a design process for an upper limb assistive wearable soft robot that will enable the development of a clothing product for an upper limb assistive soft robot. A soft robot made of a flexible and soft material that compensates for the shortcomings of existing upper limb muscle strength assistive devices is being developed. Consequently, a clothing process of the upper limb assistive soft robot is required to increase the possibility of wearing such a device. The design process of the upper limb auxiliary soft robot is presented as follows. User analysis and required performance deduction-Soft robot design-upper limb assistive wearable soft robot prototype design and production-evaluation. After designing the clothing according to the design process, the design was revised and supplemented repeatedly according to the results of the clothing evaluation. In the post-production evaluation stage, the first and second prototypes were attached to actual subjects, and the second prototype showed better results. The developed soft robot evaluated if the functionality as a clothing function and the functionality as the utility of the device were harmonized. The convergence study utilized a process of reducing friction conducted through an understanding and cooperation between research fields. The results of this study can be used as basic data to establish the direction of prototype development in fusion research.
- Asbeck, A. T., Schmidt, K., & Walsh, C. J. (2015). Soft exosuit for hip assistance. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 73, 102-110. doi:10.1016/j.robot.2014.09.025 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2014.09.025
- Cha, J. H., Ryu, T. B., Choi, H. S., Lee, J. B., Kim, M. K., Chung, M. K., & Jeong, C. H. (2007). Survey of musculoskeletal disorders in Korean dentists. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 26(2), 137-147. doi:10.5143/jesk.2007.26.2.137. https://doi.org/10.5143/jesk.2007.26.2.137.
- Cho, H., & Lee, J. H. (2013). A study of design process for sensor-based smart clothing based on requirement engineering. Science of Emotion and Sensibility, 16(3), 397-408.
- Choi, M. G., Choi, S. B., & Cha, S. E. (2006). A survey on the subjective symptoms and risk factors of musculoskeletal disorders in dentists. Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, 21(6), 106-115.
- Choi, S. W., Lee, J. C., Jang, H. D., Jeon, M. C., Kim, J. H., Kim, C. H., Park, S., & Shin, B. J. (2016). Work-related musculoskeletal disorders among spine surgeons. Journal of the Korean Orthopaedic Association, 51(6), 464-472. doi:10.4055/jkoa.2016.51.6.464 https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2016.51.6.464
- Dunne. L. E. (2004). The design of wearable technology - Addressing the human-device interface through functional apparel design, Unpublished master's thesis, Cornell University, New York.
- Frances-Morcillo, L., Morer-Camo, P., Rodriguez-Ferradas, M. I., & Cazon-Martin, A. (2020). Wearable design requirements identification and evaluation. Sensors, 20(9), 2599. doi:10.3390/s20092599 https://doi.org/10.3390/s20092599
- Galiana, I., Hammond, F. L., Howe, R. D., & Popovic, M. B. (2012, October). Wearable soft robotic device for post-stroke shoulder rehabilitation: Identifying misalignments. 2012 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (pp. 317-322). Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal; IEEE. doi:10.1109/iros.2012.6385786 https://doi.org/10.1109/iros.2012.6385786
- Ha, H. J. (2017). Study on torso patterns for elderly obese women for vitalization of the silver clothing industry - Applying the CLO 3D program. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 25(4), 476-487. doi:10.7741/rjcc.2017.25.4.476 https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2017.25.4.476
- Hong, G. J., Kim, G., Gwon, D. G., Yu, M. H., & Kim, N. G. (2006). Characteristics of the upper limb muscular activities using orthosis with artificial pneumatic rubber muscle. Proceedings of the Korean Society of Precision Engineering Conference, (pp. 443-444) Jeju, Korea; KSPE.
- Jeong, B. Y. (2010). Ergonomics' role for preventing musculoskeletal disorders. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 29(4), 393-404. doi:10.5143/JESK.2010.29.4.393 https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2010.29.4.393
- Kang. S. R., & Kim. Y. K. (2011). The problem of fit in wearable computers - Introduction of a design process based on clothing construction, Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 11(4), 119-134.
- Korean Agency for technology & Standards. (2015). The report of national anthropometric survey of korea 2015. Seoul: KATS
- Kim. S. J., Park. J., Lee. W. S., Yoon. S. H., Jung. K. H., Kim. M. S., & Yoo. H. C. (2007). Development of an ergonomic product design methodology based on natural human motion analysis, Journal of the Korean Society of Ergonomics Conference, (pp. 354-357) Kimhae, Korea; ESK.
- Kim. I. Y. (2003). 특집 : 고기능 스포츠레저웨어와 섬유패션산업 ; 스포츠웨어의 디자인 프로세스 [Development of design process for sports wear], Fiber Technology and Industry, 7(4), 457-470.
- Koo, I., Yun, C., Costa, M. V., Scognamiglio, J. V., Yangali, T. A., Park, D., & Cho, K. J. (2014, September). Development of a meal assistive exoskeleton made of soft materials for polymyositis patients. 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (pp. 542-547). Chicago, IL, USA: IEEE.
- Lamb, J. M., & Kallal, M. J. (1992). A conceptual framework for apparel design. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 10(2), 42-47. doi:10.1177/0887302X9201000207 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9201000207
- Lee, H., & Lee, J. (2019). A study on the development of wearable smart fashion product - Focused on the construction of optimized functionalities for particular needs. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 21(2), 133-140. doi:10.5805/sfti.2019. 21.2.133 https://doi.org/10.5805/sfti.2019.21.2.133
- Lee. H. J. (1999). 패션 머천다이징 [Clothing merchandising]. Seoul: Kyohaksa.
- Lee, J. R. (2014). Eco-friendly smart outdoor jacket production and usability evaluation. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 38(6), 845-856. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2014.38.6.845 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2014.38.6.845
- Lee. S. Y. (2007). Study on a model of design process for smart sportswear, Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
- 'Long arm brace'. (n. d.) Modern Medical. Retrieved January 12, 2021, from https://mdmshop.kr/product/%EA%B8%B4%ED%8C%94%EB%B3%B4%EC%A1%B0%EA%B8%B0-%EA%B0%81%EB%8F%84%EC%A1%B0%EC%A0%88%ED%98%95/34/category/27/display/1/
- Ludewig, P. M., & Cook, T. M. (2000). Alterations in shoulder kinematics and associated muscle activity in people with symptoms of shoulder impingement. Physical therapy, 80(3), 276-291. doi: 10.1093/ptj/80.3.276 https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/80.3.276
- Mastenbroek, B., de Haan, E., van den Berg, M., & Herder, J. L. (2007). Development of a mobile arm support (Armon) - Design evolution and preliminary user experience. 2007 IEEE 10th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (pp. 1114-1120). Noordwijk, Netherlands: IEEE.
- 'Mobile Arm Supports Archives'. (2017). JAECO Orthopedic. Retrieved February 9, 2021, from http://jaecoorthopedic.com/product-category/mobile-arm-supports/
- O'Neill, C. T., Phipps, N. S., Cappello, L., Paganoni, S., & Walsh, C. J. (2017). A soft wearable robot for the shoulder - Design, characterization, and preliminary testing. 2017 International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR) (pp. 1672-1678). London, United Kingdom: IEEE.
- Park, D., & Cho, K. J. (2015). Design and simulation of the adjustable weight bearing system to adjust the torque change by the distal joint on 2DOF body limb. In 2015 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM) (pp. 647-651). Busan, South Korea: IEEE.
- Park, D., & Cho, K. J. (2017). Development and evaluation of a soft wearable weight support device for reducing muscle fatigue on shoulder. PLoS One, 12(3), e0173730. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0173730 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0173730
- Park, D., Koo, I., & Cho, K. J. (2015). Evaluation of an improved soft meal assistive exoskeleton with an adjustable weight-bearing system for people with disability. 2015 IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR) (pp.79-84). Singapore, Singapore: IEEE.
- Park, J. S., & Kim, J. Y. (2012). Workload evaluation of various shoulder posture by using muscle force, fatigue and psychophysical workload. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 31(2), 281-289. doi:10.5143/JESK.2012.31.2.281 https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2012.31.2.281
- Park, Y. M. (2019, Febuary 14). 과로하는 의사들 근골격계 질환에 스트레스 달고산다 [Overworking doctors are stressed out by musculoskeletal disorders]. The Medical Times. Retrieved December 06, 2020, from https://www.medicaltimes.com/Users/News/NewsView.html?ID=1124382
- Regan, C. L., Kincade, D. H., & Sheldon, G. (1998). Applicability of the engineering design process theory in the apparel design process. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 16(1), 36-46. doi:10.1177/0887302X9801600105 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9801600105
- Song, J. Y., Kim, H. G., & Yoon, J. W. (2015). Development of an assistant robot for use in hot forging work sites and its performance evaluations using electromyographic signals. Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, 21(5), 427-433. doi:10.5302/J.ICROS.2015.15.9021 https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2015.15.9021
- Stirling, L., Yu, C. H., Miller, J., Hawkes, E., Wood, R., Goldfield, E., & Nagpal, R. (2011). Applicability of shape memory alloy wire for an active, soft orthotic. Journal of materials engineering and performance, 20(4), 658-662. doi:10.1007/s11665-011-9858-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-011-9858-7
- Szeto, G. P. Y., Ho, P., Ting, A. C. W., Poon, J. T. C., Tsang, R. C. C., & Cheng, S. W. K. (2010). A study of surgeons' postural muscle activity during open, laparoscopic, and endovascular surgery. Surgical endoscopy, 24(7), 1712-1721. doi:10.1007/s00464-009-0834-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-009-0834-3
- Ueda, J., Ming, D., Krishnamoorthy, V., Shinohara, M., & Ogasawara, T. (2010). Individual muscle control using an exoskeleton robot for muscle function testing. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 18(4), 339-350. doi:10.1109/TNSRE.2010.2047116 https://doi.org/10.1109/TNSRE.2010.2047116
- Wehner, M., Quinlivan, B., Aubin, P. M., Martinez-Villalpando, E., Baumann, M., Stirling, L., Holt, K., Wood, R., & Walsh, C. (2013). A lightweight soft exosuit for gait assistance. 2013 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (pp. 3362-3369). Karlsruhe, Germany: IEEE.