- Volume 44 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Study on the Determinants of the Debt Repayment Capability of Shipping Firms in Recession
- Lee, Dong-Hae (Department of Shipping Management, Graduate School of KMOU) ;
- Lee, Ki-Hwan (Division of Shipping Management, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Kim, Myoung-Hee (Division of Shipping Management, Korea Maritime and Ocean University)
- Received : 2020.10.05
- Accepted : 2020.10.21
- Published : 2020.10.31
In this study, an empirical analysis of 55 ship finance cases executed by a specific ship finance bank from 2009 to 2016 during the recession period was conducted. The purpose of this study was to find the factors affecting changes in the debt performance of Korean shipping companies. The main factors were the loan nature (investment purpose, loan-to-value (LTV), syndicated loans, loan terms, put-option, balloon, and spread), financial nature (total assets turnover, net profit-to-sales ratio, debt ratio, quick ratio, total borrowing, bonds payable to total assets, interest expenses-to-sales ratio, debt service coverage ratio (DSCR), and total assets), and the company nature (company age, chief executive officer's (CEO's) shares, and listing status). In this study, the factors affecting the debt repayment capability of domestic shipping companies (loan nature, financial nature, and company nature) were verified. The credit rating was used to measure the dependent variable, debt repayment ability. The variables of investment purpose, put-option, balloon, and spread in the loan nature, debt ratio in the financial nature, and the CEO's shares and company age in the company nature were found to be significant.
- Altman, E. I.(1968), "Financial rarios, discriminant analysis and the prediction of corporate bankruptcy", Journal of Finance, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 589-609. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1968.tb00843.x
- Beaver, W. H.(1966), "Financial Ratios as Predictors of Failure", Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 71-111. https://doi.org/10.2307/2490171
- Bonfim. D.(2009), "Credit risk drivers: evaluating the contribution of firm level information and of macroeconomic dynamics", Journal of Bank & Finance, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 281-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2008.08.006
- Dimitras, A. I., Petropoulos, T. and Constantinidou, I. (2002), "Multi-criteria evaluation of loan applications in shipping", Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis, Vol. 11, No. 4-5, pp. 237-246. https://doi.org/10.1002/mcda.332
- Gavalas, D. and Syriopoulos T.(2014), "An integrated credit rating and loan quality model : application to bank shipping finance", Maritime Policy & Management, Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 533-554. https://doi.org/10.1080/03088839.2014.904948
- Gong, S. X., Ye, H. Q. and Zeng, Y. Y.(2013), "Impacts of the recent financial crisis on ship financing in Hong Kong: a research note", Maritime Policy & Management, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/03088839.2012.745202
- Kang, B. T., Lee, K. H. and Kim, M. H.(2017), "Determinants of shipping bank loan spreads: An empirical study", Journal of Shipping and Logistics, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 253-275.
- Kavussanos M. G. and Tsouknidis D. A.(2014), "The Determinants of Credit Spreads Change in Global Shipping Bonds", Transportation Res. Part E: Logistics, Transportation Review, No. 70, pp. 55-75.
- Kavussanos, M. G. and Visvikis, I. D.(2016), The International Handbook of Shipping Finance: Theory and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan Publishers, London.
- Korea Development Bank(2017), Corporate credit rating business commentary.
- Korean Shipowners' Association(2009, 2019), Shipping Statistics 2008, 2018.
- Lee, H. Y.(2012), Research Methodology, Chungram Books.
- Lozinskaia, A., Merikas, A., Merika, A. and Penikas, H. (2017), "Determinants of the probability of default: the case of the internationally listed shipping corporations", Maritime Policy & Management, Vol. 44, No. 7, pp. 837-858. https://doi.org/10.1080/03088839.2017.1345018
- Mitroussi, K., Abouarghoub, W., Haider, J. J., Pettit, S. J. and Tigka, N.(2016), "Performance drivers of shipping loans: An empirical investigation", International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 171, No. 3, pp. 438-452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2015.09.041
- Ohlson, J. A.(1980), "Financial Ratios and the Probabilistic Prediction of Bankruptcy", Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, Spring, pp. 109-131. https://doi.org/10.2307/2490395
- Stopford, M.(2009), Maritime Economics(3rd edition), Routledge, New York.
- UNCTAD(2019), Review of Maritime Transport 2018.