- Volume 44 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Productivity Measurement and Effect Factors of Management Evaluation in Public Firms with a Focus on the Port Authorities
- Eom, Ki-Yong (Gamcheon Office, Busan Port Authority) ;
- Ahn, Ki-Myung (Division of Shipping Management, Korea Maritime and Ocean University)
- Received : 2020.10.05
- Accepted : 2020.10.15
- Published : 2020.10.31
In this study, we first measured the malmquist productivity index by DEA among the Korean public firms. Second, there are 12 public corporations whose productivity (MPI) has decreased compared to 2014. This is mainly because of a decrease in productivity, as well as a decrease in the technical efficiency change index (TECI), impacted by the internal environment, and the increase in productivity because of an increase in the technology change index (TCI) impacted by the external environment. Finally, the analysis of the impact on the management assessment scores showed that the productivity (MPI), scale efficiency (CRS), size of sales, operating profitability, and total capital investment efficiency are significantly related (+), except for the asset turnover, which is a static financial ratio. Meanwhile, the management evaluation scores between the high-productivity public corporations and low-performing public corporations were significantly discriminating. Thus, it is confirmed that the nation's state-run companies must manage their MPIs in a time series to score high in management evaluation.
- An S. C.(2014),"The Performance of Public Institutions and Firm Characteristics", Journal of the Korea Business Association, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 835-859.
- Choi, S. R. and Park, M. J.(2009), "Performance Analysis of the Public firm Evaluation System", Journal of Administration, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 183-208.
- Kang, Y. H.(2009), "The Governance and Agent Problems of Public Agency: Focused on the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey", Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 33, No. 10, pp. 743-756. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2009.33.10.743
- Kim, J. K.(2001),"Performance of Public firm Management Evaluation System and Future Tasks", Korean Administration Research, Vol. 10, No. 14.
- Kwak, C. K.(2003), "The Role and Performance of Management Evaluation System for the Control of Inefficiency of Government-invested Institutions," Journal of public firms.
- Kwak, C. K.(1995), "Proposals Problems and Management Innovation of public firms", Journal of public firms.
- Kwon, S. M., Pak, J. Y., Jung, H. J., Wang, Y. and Yeo, G. T.(2011),"A Study on the role of port operation organizations for the development of a region port", Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 35, No. 5, pp. 439-444. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2011.35.5.439
- Lee, E. S. and Ahn, K. M.(2013), "A Study on the Validity & Reform Measure of Public firm's Management Performance Evaluation", Korean Journal of Logistics, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 51-65. https://doi.org/10.15735/kls.2013.21.4.004
- Lee, H. Y.(2013), Research methodology, Cheongram, pp. 303-437.
- Oh, Y. C. and Jang, J. J.(2003), "A Study on the Development of the Management Evaluation System of Government-invested Institutions", Journal of public firms.
- Park, H. C., Lee, S. Y. and Ahn, K. M.(2018), "A Study on the Reconfiguration effect of Busan Port Operator in logistics environment", Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 507-517.
- Park, S. H.(2006), "Performance Management and Organizational Producitivity in the public firms", Journal of Korea Administrative Studies, Vol. 40, No 4, pp. 511-530.
- Shin, H. M.(2011), An Analysis of the Influence of the Management Evaluation on the Performance of public firms: Focused on the Evaluation of the Head of the Agency, master's thesis, Seoul National University.
- Song, D. H., Lee, J. G., Kim, S. K. and Ryu, H. J.(1987), Theoretical Background and Techniques of Management Evaluation of public firms, Focus on the Management Evaluation of Government- invested Institutions, Korea Development Institute, pp. 19-28.