- Volume 44 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Design and Simulation of a Monorail Network for the Inter-terminal Transport
- Truong, Ngoc Cuong (Graduate School of Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Kim, Hwan-Seong (Dept. of Logistics, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Kim, In-Yong (Graduate School of Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Nguyen, Duy Anh (Dept. of Mechatronics, Vietnam National Univ. - Ho Chi Minh City Univ. of Tech.) ;
- Bao, Long Le Ngoc (Graduate School of Graduate School of Vietnam National Univ. - Ho Chi Minh City Univ. of Tech.)
- Received : 2020.05.22
- Accepted : 2020.06.09
- Published : 2020.10.31
In line with the trend of global transport volume which has increased rapidly over the years, internal transportation in seaports is always conducted with high frequency. Thus, there is always much potential for traffic jams as well as high transportation costs and emissions. Many efforts have been initiated to streamline the inter-terminal container transport (ITT) through the development of automated vehicles and equipment as well as using private transport facilities to overcome these limitations. The purpose of this paper to develop a framework to design, analyze, and validate the efficiency of a new ITT system in a port area based on the monorail network and automatic vehicles. First, the number of shuttles and loaders was determined depending on the transport demand scenario. Next, a simulation model was applied to evaluate the system performance as well as gain more insight into the working process of the ITT system. Finally, by setting goals for the performance indicators, the results showed that the system was highly efficient with 100% of the containers delivered to their destination on time. Besides, a series of other performance tracking was provided to provide insight into the system's capabilities.
- Doo, H. W. and Lee, Y. C.(2013). The Study on ensuring Effectiveness of IMO Instrument regarding GHG emission from Ships-focusing on MARPOL73/78 Annex VI. Journal of Navigation and Port Research, 37(5), 511-517.
- Duinkerken, M. B., Dekker, R., Kurstjens, S. T., Ottjes, J. A. and Dellaert, N. P.(2007). Comparing transportation systems for inter-terminal transport at the maasvlakte container terminals. In Container terminals and cargo systems (pp. 37-61). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Gharehgozli, A. H., de Koster, R., and Jansen, R.(2017). Collaborative solutions for inter terminal transport. International Journal of Production Research, 55(21), 6527-6546.
- Gharehgozli, A., D. Roy, and R. de Koster.(2016). Sea Container Terminals: Recent Developments and OR Models. Maritime & Economics Logistics. 18 (2): 103-140
- Giuliano, G. and O'Brien, T.(2007). Reducing port-related truck emissions: The terminal gate appointment system at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 12(7), 460-473.
- Hansen, I.(2004). Automated shunting of rail container wagons in ports and terminal areas. Transportation Planning and Technology, 27(5), 385-401.
- Heilig, L., Lalla-Ruiz, E. and Voss, S.(2017). port-IO: an integrative mobile cloud platform for real-time inter-terminal truck routing optimization. Flexible Services and Manufacturing Journal, 29(3-4), 504-534.
- Hu, Q., Luan, X., Corman, F. and Lodewijks, G.(2016). A tabu search algorithm for inter-terminal container transport. IFAC-Papers Online, 49(3), pp. 413-418.
- Hu, Q., Wiegmans, B., Corman, F. and Lodewijks, G.(2019). Integration of inter-terminal transport and hinterland rail transport. Flexible Services and Manufacturing Journal, 31(3), 807-831.
- Lee, B. K., Jung, B. J., Kim, K. H., Park, S. O. and Seo, J. H.(2006, December). A simulation study for designing a rail terminal in a container port. In Proceedings of the 2006 winter simulation conference (pp. 1388-1397). IEEE.
- Negenborn, R.(2014). Inter-terminal transport on Maasvlakte 1 and 2 in 2030. Delft University of Technology.
- Nieuwkoop, F. E.(2013). Determining ITT configurations on the Maasvlakte by integer programming. Department of Marine and Transport Technology. Delft University of Technology. p, 112.
- Rodrigue, J. P. and Notteboom, T.(2009). The terminalization of supply chains: reassessing the role of terminals in port/hinterland logistical relationships. Maritime Policy & Management, 36(2), 165-183.
- Schepler, X., Balev, S., Michel, S. and Sanlaville, E.(2017). Global planning in a multi-terminal and multi-modal maritime container port. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 100, 38-62.
- Seo, J. H., Yi, S. H. and Kim, K. H.(2018). A Simulation Study on the Deadlock of a Rail-Based Container Transport System. Journal of Navigation and Port Research, 42(1), 47-56. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2018.42.1.47
- Tierney, K., Voss, S. and Stahlbock, R.(2014). A mathematical model of inter-terminal transportation. European Journal of Operational Research, 235(2), 448-460.
- Van Schijndel, W. J. and Dinwoodie, J.(2000). Congestion and multimodal transport: a survey of cargo transport operators in the Netherlands. Transport Policy, 7(4), 231-241.
- Timan, P. E.(2015). Why monorail systems provide a great solution for metropolitan areas. Urban rail transit, 1(1), 13-25.