- Volume 44 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of S-100 ECDIS Based on S-10X Digital Maritime Safety Information
- CHOI, HyunSoo (Division of Disaster Science, Graduate School of University of Seoul) ;
- OH, SeWoong (Maritime Safety and Environmental Research Division, Korea Research Institute of Ships & Ocean Engineering) ;
- KANG, DongWoo (Maritime Safety and Environmental Research Division, Korea Research Institute of Ships & Ocean Engineering) ;
- Yoon, MyongO (Division of Disaster Science, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2020.09.29
- Accepted : 2020.10.22
- Published : 2020.10.31
The IMO has established a regulation for the ECDIS installation on ships based on the IHO S-57 standards. The ECDIS supports sailors in achieving a safe voyage by using ENCs and monitoring the information of their ship. However, the S-57 standards were developed as edition 3.1 and prohibited revision for more than 20 years. So, the IHO developed a new standard as S-100 into the hydrography and maritime field instead of updating the S-57 to edition 4.0. In this study, the new S-100 ECDIS was developed and verified with ENCs and the digital maritime safety information by using a ship steering simulator and by conducting an on-board sea-trial test. It evaluated the impact on ship operations if the next-generation navigation support system is introduced. Based on this research, the S-100 ECDIS will generate improvements such as safe voyages by providing various of real-time safety information and up-to-date data to ship and sailors.
- Hong, T. H., Seo. K. Y. and Park, G. K.(2005) "Building of an Integrated Navigation Guiding System Based on ENC", Proceedings of the Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems Conference, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 394-399.
- International Hydrographic Office(2020), S-100 Introduction, http://s100.iho.int/S100/home/s100-introduction
- Jung, M., Park, Y. S. and Kang, S. K.(2015), "Analysis of User Requirement for the Improvement of ECDIS to Enhance Navigational Safety and Work Efficiency", Journal of Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 141-147. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2015.39.3.141
- Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Agency(2017), "Next Generation Hydrographic Information Production and Standard Study", p. 1.
- Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Agency(2018), "2018 Next Generation Hydrographic Information Production and Standard Study", p. 1.
- Lee, B. K.(2018), "Usability Test and Investigation of Improvements of the ECDIS", Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Environment and Safety, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 146-156. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2018.24.2.146
- Lee, B. K., Kim, D. H., Lee, S. D. and Cho, I. S.(2016), "A Study on Advanced Seafarers' Training for Improving Abilities of Officers in Charge of a Navigational Watch who Handle Navigational Equipment: To Focus on the ECDIS", Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 323-335. https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2016.28.2.323