- Volume 44 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Study on the Motion of the Floater Moored near Port in Waves Generated by a Ship
- Nguyen, Thi Thanh Diep (Graduate School of Changwon National University) ;
- Nguyen, Van Minh (Graduate School of Changwon National University) ;
- Yoon, Hyeon Kyu (Changwon National University) ;
- Kim, Young Hun (Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2020.03.11
- Accepted : 2020.03.24
- Published : 2020.10.31
In the past, various research on the effects of waves generated by ships has been investigated. The most noticeable effect of the waves generated by a passing ship is the increase of the hydrodynamic forces and the unwanted large motion of the moored ship and high mooring forces that occur. Thus, it is crucial to investigate the effect of the waves generated by the passing ship near port on the motion of the moored ship and the tension of the mooring lines. A model test was performed with virtual ship-generated waves in a square tank at CWNU (Changwon National University). The IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) and Optical-based system were used to measure the 6DOF (Six Degrees of Freedom) motion of the moored floater. Additionally the tension of mooring lines were measured by the tension gauges. The effects of the wave direction and wave height generated by the virtual ship-generated waves on the motion of the moored floater were analyzed.
- Bergdahl, L., Palm, J., Eskilsson, C. and Lindahl, J.(2016), "Dynamically scaled model experiments of a mooring cable", Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 1-18. https://doi.org/10.3390/jmse4010001
- Das, M. M. and Johnson, J. W.(1969), "Relative effects of wave generated by large ships and small boats in restricted waterways", Technical Report HEL-12-9, University of California, Berkeley, California.
- Filho, G. G.(2005), "Optical Motion Capture: Theory and Implementation", Journal of Theoretical and Applied Informatics, Vol. 12, pp. 61-89.
- Froude, R. E.(1877), "On experiments upon the effect produced on the wave-making resistance of ships by length of parallel middle body", Transactions of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Vol. 18, pp. 77-87.
- Hay, D.(1968), "Ship wave in navigable waterways", Pro. Conf. Costal Eng., 11th, London, pp. 1472-1487.
- Nam, B. W. and Park, J. Y.(2018), "Numerical simulation for a passing ship and a moored barge alongside quay", International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 566-582.
- Pawar, R., Bhar, A. and Dhavalikar, S. S.(2018), "Numerical prediction of hydrodynamic forces on a moored ship due to a passing ship", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part M: Journal of Engineering off the Maritime Environment, Vol. 233, No. 2, pp. 575-585.
- Pinkster, J. A. and Ruijter, M. N.(2004), "The influence of passing ship on ships moored in restricted waters", Proceeding of Offshore Technology Conference, pp. 1-10.
- Remery, G. F. M.(1974), "Mooring forces induced by passing ships", Proceeding of Offshore Technology Conference, pp. 1-15.
- Sorensen, R. M.(1966). "Ship waves", Technical Report HEL-12-2, Univeristy of California Berkeley, California.
- Sorensen, R. M.(1993), "Basic wave mechanics: For Coastal and Ocena Engineers".
- Vantore, M., Verzhbitskaya, E. and Laforce, E.(2002), "Model test based formulations of ship-ship interaction forces", Ship Technology Research, Vol. 49, pp. 124-141.