- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A study on the Effectiveness of Urban air temperature Through Citizen Participation
시민참여형 도시온도 모니터링의 실효성에 관한 연구
- Kim, Eun-Sub (Graduate School of Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Dong-Kun (Dept. of Landscape Architecture and Rural System Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Won, Ji-Eun (Interdisciplinary Program in Landscape Architecture, Seoul National University) ;
- Choi, Sun-Kyung (Interdisciplinary Program in Landscape Architecture, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Mi-Hwa (Interdisciplinary Program in Landscape Architecture, Seoul National University) ;
- Bae, Chae-Young (Suwon Climate Change Education Center, Planning team, external cooperation team) ;
- Park, Sang-Jin (Suwon Climate Change Education Center, Planning team, external cooperation team)
- 김은섭 (서울대학교 생태조경.지역시스템공학부) ;
- 이동근 (서울대학교 농업생명과학대학) ;
- 원지은 (서울대학교 환경대학원 협동과정 조경학) ;
- 최선경 (서울대학교 환경대학원 협동과정 조경학) ;
- 김미화 (서울대학교 환경대학원 협동과정 조경학) ;
- 배채영 (수원시 기후변화 체험교육관 기획팀, 대외협력팀) ;
- 박상진 (수원시 기후변화 체험교육관 기획팀, 대외협력팀)
- Received : 2020.09.06
- Accepted : 2020.10.20
- Published : 2020.10.31
At the point of implementing policies related to urban heat through the overall environmental assessment of the city using national data, citizen science projects that can collect data in a wide range are emerging for effective policy establishment. Although the utility of citizen data is improving, data quality is a primary concern for researchers employing public participation in scientific research. In this study, validation was conducted based on citizen data acquired in the "Suwon City Heat Map Project", and the applicability to temperature monitoring was confirmed based on the results. As a result of analyzing the validity verification of citizen data using three methods, the data result value is 0.843, RMSE: 0.683℃, and a meaningful value was found within 3km of national data. We found that citizen data utilization is high through the results of this study and These projects are expected to be used as basic data for establishing effective policies or can be reflected in the various planning.
- Biggs, J., Ewald, N., Valentini, A., Gaboriaud, C., Dejean, T., Griffiths, R. A., Foster, J., Wilkinson, J. W., Arnell, A., Brotherton, P., Williams, P., & Dunn, F. 2015. Using eDNA to develop a national citizen science-based monitoring programme for the great crested newt (Triturus cristatus). Biological Conservation, 183, 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2014.11.029
- Cornes, R. C., Dirksen, M., & Sluiter, R. 2019. Correcting citizen-science air temperature measurements across the Netherlands for short wave radiation bias. Meteorological Applications, 7; 1-16.
- Dickinson, J. L., Zuckerberg, B., & Bonter, D. N. 2010. Citizen science as an ecological research tool: Challenges and benefits. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, 41; 149-172. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-ecolsys-102209-144636
- Fischer, H., Amelung, D., & Said, N. 2019. The accuracy of German citizens' confidence in their climate change knowledge. Nature Climate Change, 9(10); 776-780. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41558-019-0563-0
- Gyeonggi Research Institute 2019. The Potential of Citizen science to Address Environmental Issues. [Korean Literature]
- Hyder, K., Wright, S., Kirby, M., & Brant, J. 2017. The role of citizen science in monitoring small-scale pollution events. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 120(1-2), 51-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2017.04.038
- Jiang, Q., Kresin, F., Bregt, A. K., Kooistra, L., Pareschi, E., Van Putten, E., … Wesseling, J. 2016. Citizen Sensing for Improved Urban Environmental Monitoring. Journal of Sensors, 2016.
- Jiang, Y., Fu, P., & Weng, Q. 2015. Assessing the impacts of urbanization-associated land use/cover change on land surface temperature and surface moisture: A case study in the midwestern united states. Remote Sensing, 7(4); 4880-4898. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs70404880
- KISTEP. 2018. A study on the establishment of the 2nd comprehensive plan for solving social problems based on the science and technology and supporting the activation of R&D projects for solving social problems. (Korean Literature)
- Meier, F., Fenner, D., Grassmann, T., Otto, M., & Scherer, D. 2017. Crowdsourcing air temperature from citizen weather stations for urban climate research. Urban Climate, 19; 170-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.uclim.2017.01.006
- Pal, S., & Ziaul, S. 2017. Detection of land use and land cover change and land surface temperature in English Bazar urban centre. Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Science, 20(1); 125-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrs.2016.11.003
- C. Y. Park, D. K. Lee, Y. G Kwon, M. J. Heo. 2017. Green-infra Strategies for Mitigating Urban Heat Island. J. Korean Env. Res. Tech. 20(5):67-81
- Rahman, I., Czajkowski, K., Jiang, Y., & Weaver, K. 2019. Validation of GLOBE Citizen Science Air Temperature Observations Using Data from the Great American Solar Eclipse. 516; 501-509.
- Seoul Research Institute. 2018. Solution to improve response to heat waves in Seoul. (Korean Literature)
- Song, B., & Park, K. 2019. Analysis of spatiotemporal urban temperature characteristics by urban spatial patterns in Changwon City, South Korea. Sustainability (Switzerland), 11(14); 4-8. https://doi.org/10.3390/s20010004
- Weeser, B., Stenfert Kroese, J., Jacobs, S. R., Njue, N., Kemboi, Z., Ran, A., Rufino, M. C., & Breuer, L. 2018. Citizen science pioneers in Kenya - A crowdsourced approach for hydrological monitoring. Science of the Total Environment, 631-632, 1590-1599. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.03.130
- Weyhenmeyer, G. A., MacKay, M., Stockwell, J. D., Thiery, W., Grossart, H. P., Augusto-Silva, P. B., Baulch, H. M., De Eyto, E., Hejzlar, J., Kangur, K., Kirillin, G., Pierson, D. C., Rusak, J. A., Sadro, S., & Woolway, R. I. 2017. Citizen science shows systematic changes in the temperature difference between air and inland waters with global warming. Scientific Reports, 7(March), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-016-0028-x
- Wiggins, A., Newman, G., Stevenson, R. D., & Crowston, K. 2011. Mechanisms for data quality and validation in citizen science. Proceedings-7th IEEE International Conference on e-Science Workshops, EScienceW 2011; 14-19.
- WMO. 2007. Guide to the Global Observing System. Report No. 488. WMO-No. 488, (488); 170
- Xu, C., Wang, J., & Li, Q. 2018. A new method for temperature spatial interpolation based on sparse historical stations. Journal of Climate, 31(5); 1757-1770. https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0150.1
- Yan, H., Fan, S., Guo, C., Hu, J., & Dong, L. 2014. Quantifying the impact of land cover composition on intra-urban air temperature variations at a mid-latitude city. PLoS ONE, 9(7).