- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Exploratory Study on University Students' Perception of Internet Addiction : Using Photovoice
대학생들의 인터넷 중독 인식에 대한 탐색적 연구 : 포토보이스 적용
- Kim, Soo Jin (Counseling Center, Catholic Kwandong University)
- 김수진 (가톨릭관동대학교 학생상담센터)
- Received : 2020.08.21
- Accepted : 2020.09.17
- Published : 2020.09.30
The purpose of this study is to explore the subjective perception of college students' Internet addiction by applying photovoice method, a participatory research method. The subjects of the study were nine university students at G University. The data were analyzed by orientation, photo collection, photo selection, contextualizing and codifying according to the general photo voice research procedure.As a result, 15 sub-categories were derived based on the meaning of Internet addiction, the effects of Internet addiction on life, and how to get out of Internet addiction. The perception of the meaning of Internet addiction was divided into five categories: 'loss of self-regulation', 'habit without exit', 'disconnection from the world', 'loss of me', and 'voluntary prison'. The effects of Internet addiction on life were 5 categories: 'health deterioration', 'social isolation', 'broken daily life', 'anonymous violence' and 'my discovery and life extension'. In terms of how to get out of internet addiction, 'self-looking', 'new hobbies', 'nearby', 'reality meetings', and 'forced blocking' were derived. It suggested the discussion about Internet addiction viewed by college students and the implications of constructing a counseling program that can help to use the Internet correctly.
- Cho, J. S. (2013). Influence of Internet Addiction on Juvenile's Aggression Level. Korean Journal of Probation. 13(1): 321-351.
- Dowd, E. T., Clen, S., and Arnold, K. D. (2010). The Specialty Practice of Cognitive and Behavioral Inventory. Professional Psychology. 41(1): 89-95. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018321
- Goldberg, I. K. (1996). Internet Addiction, Electronic Message Posted to Research Discussion List. Retrieved May 30, 2008, form http://www.cmbc.com/mlists/research.
- Ha, J. H. and Cheon, M. Y. (2012). Clinical Characteristics of Internet Addiction. Journal of Korean Academy of Addiction Psychiatry. 16(1): 3-10.
- Han, K. H., Choi, E. G., and Ahn, K. S. (2006). The Relationship Among Internet Addiction, Impulsivity and School Adjustment of Undergraduate Students. Korean Journal of Youth Studies.
- Jeong, B. I. and Park, H. S. (2014). The Effects of Adolescents' Self-control and Internet Expectation on Internet Addiction: Focus on Moderating Effect of Parents' Raising Attitude. Journal of the Korea society of computer and information. 19(3): 1145-1162.
- Jung, K. W., Jeong, H. J., and Yi, I. H. (2017). The Effect of Interpersonal Relationship Satisfaction on Internet Gaming Addiction: The Mediating Effects of Gaming Motivation and Gender Difference. Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 22(2): 417-432. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2017.22.2.011
- Jung, S. H., Lee, K. G., Ju, S. H., and Kim, M. J. (2019). A Meta-analysis on the Effectiveness of Group Program for Internet-Addicted Middle And High School Students. The Journal of Humanities and Social Science 21. 10(1): 1221-1236. https://doi.org/10.22143/hss220.127.116.11
- Kandall, J. J. (1998). Internet Addiction on Campus: The Vulnerability of Collage Students. Cyber Psychology & Behavior. 1: 11-17. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.1998.1.11
- Kang, D. J. and Jun, S. Y. (2017). Mediating Effect of Self-control in the Relationship between Internet Addiction and Internet Ethics Awareness in Healthcare-related College Students. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society. 28(2): 261-270. https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2017.28.2.261
- Kang, H. J. and Lee, J. H. Original Article : Relationship between Internet Addiction and Health in Dental Hygiene Students. Journal of Korean society of Dental Hygiene. 15(1): 91-99. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.91
- Kim, D. H. (2016). The Introductory Review on Photography as a Qualitative Research Tool in Education. The Korean Society for the Study of Anthropology of Education. 19(2): 1-35.
- Kim, H. J. (2007). The Relationships Among Social Support, Stress and Internet Addition in College Students. Student Life Research of Yongin University. 15: 69-88.
- Kim, J. Y. and Lee, S. J. (2007). A Study on the Relationship between Internet Addiction and Stress of College Students. Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information. 12(3): 243-250.
- Kim, K. H. (2007). A Way to Overcome Addiction, the Modem Dungeon. Korean Journal of Health Psychology: Health. 12(4): 677-693.
- Kim, M. J., Choi, H. K., and Ok, C. H. (2015). Spiritual Well-Being on Social Nicotine Dependence, Alcohol Consumption, Internet Overuse and Gambling among Medical Students. Korean Journal of Health Promotion. 15(4): 209-216. https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2015.15.4.209
- Kim, M. J. and Oak, C. (2015). The Effect of Spiritual Well-Being on Social Nicotine Dependence, Alcohol Consumption, Internet Overuse and Gambling among Medical Students. Korean Journal of Health Promotion. 15(4): 209-216. https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2015.15.4.209
- Ko, D. H., Yen, J. Y., Yen, C. F., Chen, C. S., and Chen, C. C. (2012). The Association Betweeninternet Addiction and Psychiatric Disorder: A Review of the Literature. European Psychiatry. 27: 1-8.
- Lee, J. S. (2012). The Effect of Interpersonal Relationship on Internet Addiction Level of University Students : Stress Coping Strategies as Mediating Variable. Korean Journal of Youth Studies. 20(2): 115-134.
- Murali, V. and George, S. (2007). Lost Online: An Overview of Internet Addiction. Advances in PsychiatricTreatment. 13(1): 24-30.
- NIA (2015, 2016). Survey on the Use of the Internet over-Dependence. Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning. 13(6): 410-429.
- Park, J. S. (2010). Relationship of Social, Interpersonal Adjustment and Internet Use of College Student: The Pratical use in Counselling. Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 15(2): 357-367. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2010.15.2.012
- Roh, S. Z. (2010). Analyzing Socio-Psychological Factors Affecting Internet Addiction in University Students. Journal of Korean Education. 37(3): 235-261.
- Seo, S. J., Do, M. A., and Lee, S. J. (2017). An Analysis of the Internet Addiction Research Trends of University Students: Focusing on the Causes and Results of the Internet Addiction. Journal of Emotional & Behavioral Disorders. 35(1): 1-22.
- Shin, S. C. and Beack, S. K. (2013). The Influence of Adolescents' Smart Phone Addiction on Aggression. Crisisonomy. 9(11): 345-362.
- Tangney, J. P., Baumeister, R. F., and Boone, A. L. (2004). High Self-control Predicts Goodadjustment, Less Pathology, Better Grades, and Interpersonal Sucess. Journal of Personality. 72(2): 272-322.
- Thomsen, J. F., Gerr, F. and Atroshi, I.(2008). Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and the Use of Computer Mouse and Keyboard: A Systematic Review. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 9: 134. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-9-134
- Wang, C. and Burris, M. A. (1997). Photovoice: Concept, Methodology, and Use for Participatory Needs Assessment. Health Education and Behavior. 24(3): 369-387. https://doi.org/10.1177/109019819702400309
- Yang, D. G. (2003). The Differences of Adolescents' Activity and Satisfaction of Interpersonal Relationship according to the Internet Addiction Tendency. Korean Journal of Youth Studies. 10(3): 481- 500.
- Young, K. S. and Rogers, R. C. (1998). The Relationship between Depression and Internetaddiction. Cyberpsychology & Behavior. 1(1): 25-28. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.1998.1.25