- Volume 40 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development of a Fast Charging System Utilizing Charge Profile and Cell Balance Control Technology for Large Capacity Lithium-ion Batteries
충전 프로파일 및 셀 밸런스 제어기술을 활용한 대용량 리튬이온 배터리 고속충전시스템 개발
- Yunana, Gani Dogara (Topfield, Co., Ltd) ;
- Ahn, Jae Young (DTI Korea, Co., Ltd) ;
- Park, Chan Won (Dept. of electrical and electronics engineering)
- 가니 도가라 유나나 ;
- 안재영 ;
- Received : 2020.08.29
- Accepted : 2020.10.22
- Published : 2020.10.31
Lithium-ion cells have become the go-to energy source across all applications; however, dendritic growth remains an issue to tackle. While there have been various research conducted and possible solutions offered, there is yet to be one that efficiently rules out the problem without, however, introducing another. This paper seeks to present a fast charging method and system to which lithium-ion batteries are charged while maintaining their lifetime. In the proposed method, various lithium cells are charged under multiple profiles. The parameters of charge profiles that inflict damage to the cell's electrodes are obtained and used as thresholds. Thus, during charging, voltage, current, and temperature are actively controlled under these thresholds. In this way, dendrite formation suppressed charging is achieved, and battery life is maintained. The fast-charging system designed, comprises of a 1.5kW charger, an inbuilt 600W battery pack, and an intelligent BMS with cell balancing technology. The system was also designed to respond to the aging of the battery to provide adequate threshold values. Among other tests conducted by KCTL, the cycle test result showed a capacity drop of only 0.68% after 500 cycles, thereby proving the life maintaining capability of the proposed method and system.
- Tomaszewska, Anna Et al., 2019, Lithium-Ion Battery Fast Charging: A Review, eTransportation. 100011.
- Zhu, Gao-Long Et al., 2019, Fast Charging Lithium Batteries: Recent Progress and Future Prospects, Small. 15. 1805389. https://doi.org/10.1002/smll.201805389
- T. Waldmann, B.-I. Hogg, Et al., 2018, Li plating as unwanted side reaction in commercial Li-ion cells-A Review, Power Sources, 384 (February), pp. 107-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2018.02.063
- Birkl, Christoph Et al., 2017, Degradation diagnostics for lithium ion cells, Journal of Power Sources. 341. 373-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2016.12.011
- Bai Peng, Li Ju, Brushett Fikile Et al., 2016, Transition of lithium growth mechanisms in liquid electrolytes, Energy Environ. Sci. 9. 3221-3229. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6EE01674J
- Li Linlin, Li Siyuan, Lu Yingying, 2018, Suppression of dendritic lithium growth in lithium metal-based batteries, Chemical Communications. 54.
- Majid Nik, Hafiz S, Arianto S, Et al., 2017, Analysis of effective pulse current charging method for lithium ion battery, Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 817.
- Weixiang Shen, Thanh Tu Vo, Et al., 2012, Charging algorithms of lithium-ion batteries: an overview, 7th IEEE conference on industrial electronics and applications (ICIEA), IEEE, pp. 1567-1572.
- X.-G. Yang, G. Zhang, S. Ge, Et al., 2018, Fast charging of lithium-ion batteries at all temperatures, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A, 115 (28), pp. 7266-7271. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1807115115
- J. Vetter, P. Novak, Et al., 2005, Ageing mechanisms in lithium-ion batteries, Journal of Power Sources, Volume 147, Issues 1-2, Pages 269-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.01.006